Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

And we've hardly spent a penny on transfer fees (I know we've forked out on improved contracts, bonuses etc)! 

It does make you wonder if there will be one biggish splurge on a £c.10m DM before the window shuts. Webber's not a fan of the January market.

I feel that it's difficult to assess this youngster actually. He suffered a very bad one off injury, not injury prone, was out for a year and managed a come back last time around reasonably well in as much as he started quite a few games and had his moments but without being able to cement his position in the first eleven.

That he is very highly rated by the binner  fans has to be taken with a pinch of salt as they seem to continually over rate most of their youngsters.

However, his pedigree is good, his moments are good and I believe that the ex-messiah has on occasions singled him out for praise over and above the usual "really, really brulliant."

Worth a punt at a few million, but I cannot see him being remotely first team ready for us next season. 

It would seem that we would unlikely lose out on him and it would even have the added bonus of being a big kick in the goolies for the ardent Ipswich fan coming to terms with life in League One.

12 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

And we've hardly spent a penny on transfer fees (I know we've forked out on improved contracts, bonuses etc)! 

It does make you wonder if there will be one biggish splurge on a £c.10m DM before the window shuts. Webber's not a fan of the January market.

Oh we need a DM do we?

In all seriousness, I get what you're saying. I feel that there likely will be a bit of money spent on "one or two more" quality additions. The work will have been ongoing for some time. A lot of it, we won't have a clue about at all and neither will the majority of the media. It's great, I love how Webber does his transfer business away from prying eyes!

• Like 2

Yes, you're so right BobLoz3 ... it's amazing how often a new signing just appears out of nowhere.

To be honest I'm more than happy with Trybull and Tettey sitting alongside Mo/Mario/Ken (if we keep last season's formation) I'm just finding it hard to resist the feeling that it would be exciting to lure a big signing now that we have been promoted

... and yes, I remember how that worked out with Ricky, Leroy and Naismith!

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
Clarity

15 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Yes, you're so right BobLoz3 ... it's amazing how often a new signing just appears out of nowhere.

To be honest I'm more than happy with Trybull and Tettey sitting alongside Mo/Mario/Ken (if we keep last season's formation) I'm just finding it hard to resist the feeling that it would be exciting to lure a big signing now that we have been promoted

... and yes, I remember how that worked out with Ricky, Leroy and Naismith!

If Trybull were to get injured, I wouldn't be comfortable with Tettey playing regularly in the PL. I see Tettey more as the kind of person we'd bring on with 15 minutes left to protect a lead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

If Trybull were to get injured, I wouldn't be comfortable with Tettey playing regularly in the PL. I see Tettey more as the kind of person we'd bring on with 15 minutes left to protect a lead.

Yep. Agreed.

Although I do love dear Tettey, as I know you do too FTW, I feel as though he may not have the legs for it now!

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yep. Agreed.

Although I do love dear Tettey, as I know you do too FTW, I feel as though he may not have the legs for it now!

Funnily enough, I'm not even sure it's the legs that are the issue. For a while last season, he was playing brilliantly, and played quite a lot of matches in quick succession. This goes against the conventional wisdom that he couldn't play full/consecutive games because of his knees - Farke seemed to have him as 'fit and firing' as I'd ever seen him.

I feel that it's his technical deficiencies that make him unsuitable for the PL; he simply doesn't have the passing ability to hold down a regular place in the team. Last time we were in the PL this was abundantly clear; I know there were stats thrown around about his high pass completion percentage, but under Farkeball I feel there is more onus on all players to be able to move the ball quickly and accurately, whereas a lot of Tettey's passes slowed the game down and were sideways and backwards.

I absolutely love the geezer, but if he's starting matches regularly next season I'd be a little concerned.

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Funnily enough, I'm not even sure it's the legs that are the issue. For a while last season, he was playing brilliantly, and played quite a lot of matches in quick succession. This goes against the conventional wisdom that he couldn't play full/consecutive games because of his knees - Farke seemed to have him as 'fit and firing' as I'd ever seen him.

I feel that it's his technical deficiencies that make him unsuitable for the PL; he simply doesn't have the passing ability to hold down a regular place in the team. Last time we were in the PL this was abundantly clear; I know there were stats thrown around about his high pass completion percentage, but under Farkeball I feel there is more onus on all players to be able to move the ball quickly and accurately, whereas a lot of Tettey's passes slowed the game down and were sideways and backwards.

I absolutely love the geezer, but if he's starting matches regularly next season I'd be a little concerned.

He did have the highest pass completion rate out of any of our players but that was two seasons ago I think.

Of course, when those stats were mentioned, it was all "yeah but they were ALL sideways and backwards!" Tis true that many of them were short passes, but his job isn't, and has never been, to make Hollywood passes.

I'm glad we're keeping him around, as he's clearly a great influence on the team. He's also been there and done it when it comes to the Prem. Who knows, he may surprise us. But I still feel he may not have the legs and he has been getting injured a lot recently. So perhaps I should have said that he is now "becoming more injury prone" and we know that players tend to play a bit inside themselves in those situations.

Thompson would have been another good option but I just can't see his injury issues ever going away... which is massively sad.

Edited by BobLoz3

11 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Until last season. I've struggled to see what others liked about Tettey, but he won me over when he did play last season. I thought his passing (which was my main issue) improved hugely, and he seemed to get through plenty of game time despite his knees. On the face of it, yet another indicator of what a fantastic job our coaching team are doing. Of course, he is relatively old, especially in our squad, so agreed we wouldn't want to rely on him playing every game, but I'd love to see him given a go.

Maybe we ought to be looking to buy another defensive midfielder?

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Maybe we ought to be looking to buy another defensive midfielder?

You must be mental, that's the last thing we need.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Tettey's passing is fine, Trybull when he came into the team didn't make many forward passes either. The biggest issue for Tettey, and also why I don't think Godfrey is considered a midfielder for Farke, is being able to receive the ball under pressure. Tettey's first touch has never been great and he struggles when heavily pressed, Norwich's style of playing out from the back and maintaining pressure means all players have to be comfortable under pressure. 

This is what makes getting a new DM (I hear people consider that important) so hard. It can't just be an energetic bruiser who crashes around midfield but needs to be someone who is also good on the ball with good technical qualities - when you mix these two skill sets you get £30m players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....still believe we have a potentially excellent DM with the abilily to get around the pitch in Ben Godfrey.....can easily see him being capable of doing anything Declan Rice can in that position

I’d love to see Godfrey as a DM

8 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

I’d love to see Godfrey as a DM

I wouldn't. Pretty happy with how he's progressed as a CB.

You don't get many of them doing things like this....

22 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I wouldn't. Pretty happy with how he's progressed as a CB.

You don't get many of them doing things like this....

Imagine if he was doing that from midfield though....regularly??

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Imagine if he was doing that from midfield though....regularly??

There's others in our squad capable of that, in midfield...

I don't get the obsession with BG playing as a DM. We have seen how good he is at CB, so just trust Farke and roll with it.

18 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

There's others in our squad capable of that, in midfield...

I don't get the obsession with BG playing as a DM. We have seen how good he is at CB, so just trust Farke and roll with it.

Not an obsession...merely a discussion. My own opinion is that I believe he might have more traits to his game than just a centre half.....and when the duscussion is 'should we buy a new defensive midfielder', I'm proposing that we could save our money as we might already have one under our noses.

......only last summer was Declan Rice converted from CB to DM....and now he's seemingly first choice in Englands midfield, I think Godfrey can be as good

8 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Not an obsession...merely a discussion. My own opinion is that I believe he might have more traits to his game than just a centre half.....and when the duscussion is 'should we buy a new defensive midfielder', I'm proposing that we could save our money as we might already have one under our noses.

......only last summer was Declan Rice converted from CB to DM....and now he's seemingly first choice in Englands midfield, I think Godfrey can be as good

Godfrey went the other way, though, and that will be how he stays in my opinion.

I totally appreciate what you're saying, but we won't be moving him from CB. We have four senior players in the position now, which is what we need heading into the Prem. If we have money, it will likely be spent on a DM.

34 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

A ball playing centre back is harder to find than a robust DM. For the Farke system to work, Norwich need centre backs who can play out from defence if not it is too easy to press Norwich high up the pitch and force mistakes. 

Godfrey isn't as good on the ball as Rice and West Ham don't play such a possession based game, so I don't think Godfrey could make that transition as successfully. 

• Like 1

I wonder if that is us in terms of incoming players? 

A few will go Marshall, husband etc

i had hoped that Rhodes would come but looks increasingly unlikely 

Tettey was hugely improved last season when playing alongside Leitner, who reads the game so well and has the ability to be in the right place for a pass when Tettey is under pressure. Leitner then either moves or passes it up the pitch to the attacking players.

The other possibility is that we play 3-4-3 (as we did at the end of the Schaulke match) and Godfrey moves up to midfield when we have the ball and drops back when it's lost, thus allowing him to play to both his strengths.

5 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I wonder if that is us in terms of incoming players? 

A few will go Marshall, husband etc

i had hoped that Rhodes would come but looks increasingly unlikely 

No I think we'll get one or two more in before transfer window slams shut.

Psychic Purple's predictions:

1) Hanley will stay.

2) Rhodes won't arrive.

3) There is money left at least for a mid-seven-figure signing.

4) Wriedt won't arrive, or another out and out striker (although a Bowen-type might).

5) Dozzell won't arrive.

6) A first-choice defensive midfielder will arrive (unless Farke thinks McLean is that).

Edited by PurpleCanary

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Psychic Purple's predictions:

1) Hanley will stay.

2) Rhodes won't arrive.

3) There is money left at least for a mid-seven-figure signing.

4) Wriedt won't arrive, or another out and out striker (although a Bowen-type might).

5) Dozzell won't arrive.

6) A first-choice defensive midfielder will arrive (unless Farke thinks McLean is that).

That's a bit out of left-field isn't it?

Edited by Nuff Said