A couple of transfer rumours...

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Do we need one?

(Let me know when this gets tired)

I think you’ll find one is necessary.

It’s going to be a NLCDM.

We will never tire!

• Like 1

Nelson Oliveria is apparently in Athens today to complete his move to AEK. 

Announcement could come this evening, but might not happen until next week - depending on international clearance. 

Some reports that Norwich are getting a fee, but that apparently isn’t the case, although Nelson has agreed to a wage cut and Norwich may not have to continue to pay part of them. 

• Thanks 1

We made a massive mistake not selling to Swansea for 12 million. It reminds me of the Lewis Grabban saga too. Eventually going back to Bournemouth.

When it seems you have a bad apple but people are interested you have to move them on.

The good news is wages of Oli, Jarvis, Naismith, Wildschut are now in our coffers 🙂

I'm glad Oliveira is finally gone. It took it's time.

Talent or not, when you are talking about the "team" and team cohesion it's all or nothing  and it didn't take long for DF to work that out with regards this player.

An enigma in many respects as he was apparently quite popular at the club, but his demons seemed to win when it came to the need to completely tow the line  .... at least this is the impression given by the turn of events. He ended up a bit of a rebel without a cause.

Apparently he did quite well at Reading, but this was thwarted by the Mings factor in the earlier days and possible wage restraints or something else in the end.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Hmm...I recall not long ago people were waxing lyrical about Nelson being ‘the best striker in the championship’ (though I was never a great fan).  As ever with hindsight we can say that we should have cashed in, but at the time I imagine it would have gone down like a cup of cold sick with many. 

46 minutes ago, smooth said:

We made a massive mistake not selling to Swansea for 12 million. It reminds me of the Lewis Grabban saga too. Eventually going back to Bournemouth.

When it seems you have a bad apple but people are interested you have to move them on.

The good news is wages of Oli, Jarvis, Naismith, Wildschut are now in our coffers 🙂

Yes, we were desperate to hold on to Nelson then. He'd just had a good season, was particularly decent when Irvine took control for a bit. So, not selling him to Swansea may have had something to do with fan power. The club knew we didn't want to let him go.

I still can't forgive him for what he did to Farke in his first game in charge. I've said it multiple times before. It was one of the most disrespectful things I've ever seen in football and THAT is what prompted Farke to come up with his brilliant and now immortal words "Love the name on the front of the shirt, not the one on the back"

I never had any issues with Nelson and still don't. I think he was a great player for us but he clearly needed to be loved and adored to perform. He is the perfect example of a 'confidence player'. Good luck to him. We've gone our way and he's gone his. That's all there is to it now, for me.

• Like 1

His performance at Arsenal in the league cup summed up his performances for me. I personally would have sold him that summer it was clear he was unhappy and I never felt he was ready for the fight.

But that is all in the past.

Nice to be look at 'greedy', team first, quality additions

3 weeks till the start of the season and cannot wait to see buendia in the premier League. For me he is that great outlet, when we have battled for the ball and looking to counter give this man the ball he can carry it, make a player miss and put through that ball at the right moment with the right weight. Just need that new DM to battle for that ball 😉

Great to hear that NO is moving on, talented but not suited to the Farke approach.

Agree totally about wanting to see Buendia playing in the Prem !!

But the need for a new DM is key, surprised it's not being mentioned more...

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, smooth said:

His performance at Arsenal in the league cup summed up his performances for me. I personally would have sold him that summer it was clear he was unhappy and I never felt he was ready for the fight.

Eh? Wasn't that game his first one back from injury and he played for 120 minutes?

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Eh? Wasn't that game his first one back from injury and he played for 120 minutes?

Yeah, was going to say there were plenty more suitable matches to pick to identify that NO wasn't really 'committed' to it that season.

There certainly were, but in that game every player played out of their skin. It was commited and a performance of the highest level.

NOs performance was not commited at all. He never won a ball in the air, lacked movement. Played isolated and looked uninterested.

I thought it was a team performance of the highest order and every other player covered for his ineptness. It was 10 players performing at the top of their game in order to cover 11. They did do that, an unbelievable team performance.

Yet in front of a big crowd NO was totally uninterested, it showed me major problems with him and his respect for the other players, club and more importantly himself.

If he had performed in front of a huge crowd, at Arsenal he could have got a move. With the team performance if he had turned up we could have won and he could have got the move he wanted. 

To me it proved that he was not driven by football, being the best he can be and reinforced why he struggled at so many clubs. He carried on picking up a huge pay packet for 18months afterwards.

But anyway as I mentioned earlier, glad to move on and now have players who are on this journey and those that aren't are no longer here.

If I recall he had a long range shot in the 1st half that nearly brought is a goal and I do not think there was another genuine striker option on the bench.

Well, it was my personal assessment.

Just glad we have Pukki, Buendia, Aaron's, Vrancic et Al to watch with a genuine engagement with the club

Nelson has all the technical and physical qualities to be a premier league striker. He showed glimpses of what he can do when he first arrived here. He was even still getting occasional call ups to Portugal when he was with us, which shows how well regarded he is in the international set up.

It isn't immediately obvious what is holding him back, but it seems to have followed him wherever he has been. At the stage in his career, it is unlikely he will ever fulfill his potential - which is a shame.

13 minutes ago, smooth said:

There certainly were, but in that game every player played out of their skin. It was commited and a performance of the highest level.

NOs performance was not commited at all. He never won a ball in the air, lacked movement. Played isolated and looked uninterested.

I thought it was a team performance of the highest order and every other player covered for his ineptness. It was 10 players performing at the top of their game in order to cover 11. They did do that, an unbelievable team performance.

Yet in front of a big crowd NO was totally uninterested, it showed me major problems with him and his respect for the other players, club and more importantly himself.

If he had performed in front of a huge crowd, at Arsenal he could have got a move. With the team performance if he had turned up we could have won and he could have got the move he wanted. 

To me it proved that he was not driven by football, being the best he can be and reinforced why he struggled at so many clubs. He carried on picking up a huge pay packet for 18months afterwards.

But anyway as I mentioned earlier, glad to move on and now have players who are on this journey and those that aren't are no longer here.

I was at that game and to be honest it sounds a bit like you saw what you wanted to see.

Well we'll agree to disagree. But as I said old news and glad he is moving on.

With 3 weeks to go till opening night I think tonight we will have a great test. Still a lot of preseason ahead and with a few players juggled about, Lewis, we can hope for no new injuries.

Looks like the group are strong and hopefully ant new additions get some time to play with the group with at least the last 2 home preseason games.

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

I was at that game and to be honest it sounds a bit like you saw what you wanted to see.

This is a bit unfair. You thought Nelson did well against Arsenal, Smooth didn't. It's really that simple.

Everyone has a different view of how they think a player has performed and that counts from game to game. I see it all the time,

"Cor, *insert players name here* was hopless today..."

"What game were you watching?!"

In other words, we're all entitled to our opinion and viewpoint and many of us will see things differently. We all change our minds quite regularly too. It's a football supporters job to be fickle!

Although in that season NO's more acceptable performances tended to coincide with us being on sky.

Nelson should have had a stone wall penalty in the Arsenal game. Happened metres from me late on in the game (I was in the Arsenal end unfortunately, and even the locals conceded that it was a clear penalty). Anyone who questions his talent must be mental, that is definitely not in doubt. However, Farke and Webber clearly do not suffer fools gladly, and he burnt his bridges in the Fulham game, there was no coming back from that. I really think it’s as simple as that, in summary. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

This is a bit unfair. You thought Nelson did well against Arsenal, Smooth didn't. It's really that simple.

Everyone has a different view of how they think a player has performed and that counts from game to game. I see it all the time,

"Cor, *insert players name here* was hopless today..."

"What game were you watching?!"

In other words, we're all entitled to our opinion and viewpoint and many of us will see things differently. We all change our minds quite regularly too. It's a football supporters job to be fickle!

Yeah but if you post that opinion on a forum propel are entitled to tell you they think you're wrong.

Edited by king canary

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah but if you post that opinion on a forum propel are entitled to tell you they think you're wrong.

Yes, true. But there are ways of going around it. What you said just seemed a bit bombastic to me. That's all.

But there we are. All good. I can't even remember if I thought Nelson was decent, or bobbins, in that game!

Edited by BobLoz3

On 15/07/2019 at 21:51, Thirsty Lizard said:

Probably nothing more than me putting 2+2 together and making 79, but can't help wondering if we might move for Semi Ajayi. We've supposedly been interested in him in the past and he can play equally well as a central defender or defensive midfielder. If we've got a short term problem in central defence and a longer term need for a defensive midfielder then he could fit both requirements.........and Paul Warne is a Norwich fan......... and we loaned Rotherham Carlton Morris.......🙂

Looks like Ajayi is going to West Brom - £1.3 million seems cheap in the current market.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7262363/West-Brom-swoop-Rotherham-defender-Semi-Ajayi-1-3m-deal.html

28 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Nelson should have had a stone wall penalty in the Arsenal game. Happened metres from me late on in the game (I was in the Arsenal end unfortunately, and even the locals conceded that it was a clear penalty). Anyone who questions his talent must be mental, that is definitely not in doubt. However, Farke and Webber clearly do not suffer fools gladly, and he burnt his bridges in the Fulham game, there was no coming back from that. I really think it’s as simple as that, in summary. 

Wasn't the penalty incident Husband? Think Nelson was fouled by last defender leading only to a yellow.

13 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Wasn't the penalty incident Husband? Think Nelson was fouled by last defender leading only to a yellow.

I've just watched the highlights again and, yep, it was Husband who got fouled.

Clear penalty.

That was the season in which we used to be able to score them too! Darn...

15 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Separate incident, Nelson himself was fouled and to be fair didn’t protest too much, ref wasn’t well placed and took no notice - probably why it’s not on the highlights.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Separate incident, Nelson himself was fouled and to be fair didn’t protest too much, ref wasn’t well placed and took no notice - probably why it’s not on the highlights.

Fair enough, don't remember it. We were pretty unlucky that night on balance. I wonder if Eddie Nketiah has scored any more senior goals since those two?

3 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Fair enough, don't remember it. We were pretty unlucky that night on balance. I wonder if Eddie Nketiah has scored any more senior goals since those two?

He scored  the winnerv Bayern the other day in one of those Makey uppey preseason cuppeys.