Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

5 minutes ago, JF said:

Hope you’re right on that. Seems from what Sky are saying that this Trippier move has only materialised over the last week. Any ideas on who you think they would go for?

Spurs have been trying to sell Trippier since January - official talks between Atlético and Trippier May have materialised in the last week, but they would have spoken to his agent well before that to see if he was even interested in the move there. Clubs agreeing a deal is generally the last thing in a transfer.

I’m guessing Spurs have targets lined up as upgrading at right back is a long term ambition. 

Agree with Bethnal - however good he is, Spurs aren’t likely to see Aarons as an improvement on Trippier, which you’d think would be the general idea.

Walker-Peters is the real deal from what I've seen - and he's already 22. Trippier's form fell off a cliff last season, which is probably why a fresh start is best for all parties. They still have Aurier too as competition - I'm not a big fan of his, but he's got plenty of CL experience from his time at PSG. Cannot see any logic in them spending the big bucks necessary to sign Aarons.

41 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Walker-Peters is the real deal from what I've seen - and he's already 22. Trippier's form fell off a cliff last season, which is probably why a fresh start is best for all parties. They still have Aurier too as competition - I'm not a big fan of his, but he's got plenty of CL experience from his time at PSG. Cannot see any logic in them spending the big bucks necessary to sign Aarons.

I remember walker peters having a nightmare against Barcelona in the champs league and the fans were not impressed 

16 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I remember walker peters having a nightmare against Barcelona in the champs league and the fans were not impressed 

That was his Champions League debut, in the Nou Camp. Had a really shaky start, but then grew into the game and made a brilliant block to keep it at 1-0... and Spurs got a point. Since then, every time I've seen him play he's really impressed me. Did you see the game against Bournemouth when he got three assists? I think he's a cracking player.

42 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Does anyone know if a DM is on the way? 😄

Now known as a LDCM (lynchpin central defensive midfielder)

As opposed to a Lake District Canary Monologue 😄

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Does anyone know if a DM is on the way? 😄

Do you think we need one? 😉

Firstly Srbeny is good enough to play in any position - clearly. Few things to keep an eye on, Hull have just signed Josh Bowler on loan from Everton for the season, a young winger. I wonder whether Hull might be in a position to let Bowen leave now, if we are interested. Secondly the Trippier deal has now been agreed and has passed his medical. Are we expecting a big bid for Aarons now?

21 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Aarons has signed a new deal in the last week. He’s going nowhere this summer. 

Although I believe this, we haven't heard anything about it (officially) yet.

The fact it's been kind of drawn out may have more to do with getting the right deal, rather than any Spurs interest I guess.

If Aaron’s has signed this new deal I can’t understand why the club hasn’t officially announced it? I still wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a bid come in

8 minutes ago, JF said:

If Aaron’s has signed this new deal I can’t understand why the club hasn’t officially announced it? I still wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a bid come in

Announcements for contracts often don’t happen straight away, if they did Norwich would have announced a whole bunch at the same time. They are doing.m a ‘drumbeat’ media campaign with it this summer - dropping regular small bits of good news produces a better narrative for the summer. 

Keeping a good narrative and happy fans drives up the sales of kits and memeberships. Which is the main purpose of the club’s media team. 

The deal is signed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Announcements for contracts often don’t happen straight away, if they did Norwich would have announced a whole bunch at the same time. They are doing.m a ‘drumbeat’ media campaign with it this summer - dropping regular small bits of good news produces a better narrative for the summer. 

Keeping a good narrative and happy fans drives up the sales of kits and memeberships. Which is the main purpose of the club’s media team. 

The deal is signed. 

With that in mind it would be a good time now to announce the new contract to nip any speculation in the bud

Edited by JF

1 minute ago, JF said:

With that in mind it would be a good time now to announce the new contract to nip any speculation in the bud

As a media man, I’d let the speculation brew bigger and bigger before announcing it. 

A couple of random observations. I was intrigued that we were given such a precise figure for the Byram transfer, as opposed to the usual "undisclosed".

I wondered if this had come from the London media, with their contacts with West Ham, or whether perhaps it had come from us, on the basis that we wanted to show how little we had paid for someone who cost four million or whatever it was a few years back. Injury-prone or not it, it seems a bit of a bargain.

As to Bowen, I have no idea whether we are interested, or whether we ever were but, as Bethnal says, Hull seem to want to get rid of him for good money this summer. Southampton appear to have made other plans, and I doubt Bowen wishes to stay in The Championship.

39 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A couple of random observations. I was intrigued that we were given such a precise figure for the Byram transfer, as opposed to the usual "undisclosed".

I wondered if this had come from the London media, with their contacts with West Ham, or whether perhaps it had come from us, on the basis that we wanted to show how little we had paid for someone who cost four million or whatever it was a few years back. Injury-prone or not it, it seems a bit of a bargain.

As to Bowen, I have no idea whether we are interested, or whether we ever were but, as Bethnal says, Hull seem to want to get rid of him for good money this summer. Southampton appear to have made other plans, and I doubt Bowen wishes to stay in The Championship.

With Bowen I suspect it will be a game of nerves between a few clubs as the window winds down, knowing he has to be sold this summer. 

I can see Cardiff, WBA and other top end of the Championship clubs pushing hard for him. They may be prepared to pay more for him than Norwich or Southampton would - considering he’d be first choice rather than a squad player. 

Once one club agrees a fee, I can see others dog-piling on.  

Aaron’s contract announced! Like I said, good time to stop speculation 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think most of us would say they’ve sold more than enough memberships.

• Haha 1

On 14/07/2019 at 14:40, Alex Moss said:

A couple of reports today, we are now second favourites to sign Bowen behind Southampton (but we won’t, and I’m not fussed about that), and Oliveira’s move to AEK is all but done and dusted.

Is Nelson still hanging round like a lingering fart? Let's hope today's the day he finally slings his hook...

Any news about potential loan deals for Husband and/or Marshall?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has anything concrete about a defensive midfielder coming in soon? I feel some sort of deep-lying lynchpin is the one thing the squad is really missing at the moment.

Thanks

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Ian said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has anything concrete about a defensive midfielder coming in soon? I feel some sort of deep-lying lynchpin is the one thing the squad is really missing at the moment.

Thanks

Every time I see someone saying we should bring in DM, I get ever so worried that we're trying to bring Danny Mills to the club...

I would prefer David Marshall.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Every time I see someone saying we should bring in DM, I get ever so worried that we're trying to bring Danny Mills to the club...

I would prefer David Marshall.

I would prefer Dieumerci Mbokani.................

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

On the DM subject I'd love us to go in for Matt Grimes from Swansea.

Or the Polish lad from Arsenal 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Or the Polish lad from Arsenal 

More of a central defender at this point I think.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

More of a central defender at this point I think.

Bielik? Definitely played more as a CB as of late but very good on the ball and apparently can play as a DM.

• Like 2

Norwich City are reportedly closing in on signing Motherwell youngster Reece McAlear.

The Scottish Sun are saying that City are close to agreeing a fee for the 19-year-old, who would become part of the Canaries academy set-up. 

The midfielder was linked with a move to West Ham and Leicester earlier this summer but Norwich are now in pole position.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-transfer-latest-reece-mcalear-1-6166899

I honestly don't see us making any marquee signings. Yes we need back up but a fit squad has, I believe, a chance of keeping us up. And I just don't see the coaching staff going overboard for someone who might not buy into, or be able to, DF's philosophy.