Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

22 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not sure whether we are in a position to spend money for a transfer on a short-term fix in central defense if we weren’t planning to upgrade.  But if we were already looking for a DM then we might even more prioritise that position, and perhaps even look for even more of an upgrade than we had been expecting..

That’ll depend on length of injuries, but might use some of the budget on loan cover.

We’ve not spent much of the so called 20 million budget so far.

If were signing people because they're good in the dressing room, surely Colin Murrays worth a punt!    Sounds like we've got plenty of spirit in the changing room already so no need to waste contracts on additions that are unlikely to offer value on the pitch and sadly Rhodes falls into that  situation.

Yesterday's game had its positives and negatives, but Srbeny's well taken goal and Idah's confident debut were both the former. Drmic made a solid debut as well, leading the line and scoring the penalty and Roberts looked promising. We need to see more in the next game, but it certainly seems that we should now be focusing on defensive options.

I also think Ajayi could be a good solution. He started at CB but has now also played DM quite a lot for Rotherham. As you say, we were interested so it could be one SW might be considering. He's 'homegrown' as well. We'd still need a RB as well.

1 hour ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

I also think Ajayi could be a good solution. He started at CB but has now also played DM quite a lot for Rotherham. As you say, we were interested so it could be one SW might be considering. He's 'homegrown' as well. We'd still need a RB as well.

I think that the step up from being a star at Rotherham, to being the answer to our problems in the Premiership is huge. 

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Probably nothing more than me putting 2+2 together and making 79, but can't help wondering if we might move for Semi Ajayi. We've supposedly been interested in him in the past and he can play equally well as a central defender or defensive midfielder. If we've got a short term problem in central defence and a longer term need for a defensive midfielder then he could fit both requirements.........and Paul Warne is a Norwich fan......... and we loaned Rotherham Carlton Morris.......🙂

Coincidentally, best I can hope for these days us a semi!

9 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I think that the step up from being a star at Rotherham, to being the answer to our problems in the Premiership is huge. 

It is, but everything I've seen of him has been highly impressive. He scores plenty of goals too for a defensive player. If his attitude was right, he's certainly the kind of player that would fit the Norwich mould.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, king canary said:

Pleased with the Byram deal- add Bowen and a defensive midfielder and I'll be delighted.

Cor that would be nice!

Currently arguing with someone on IG who thinks Byram is a terrible signing and that our transfer policy is hopeless.

Honestly, there really are some lunatics out there!

Just now, BobLoz3 said:

Cor that would be nice!

Currently arguing with someone on IG who thinks Byram is a terrible signing and that our transfer policy is hopeless.

I think those people will be those who've still not go on board with the new financial model and just see cheap and think bad.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think those people will be those who've still not go on board with the new financial model and just see cheap and think bad.

Yeah praps... After a promotion and some of the best football we've seen Norwich playing in years you'd think they'd get on the train wouldn't you.

12 hours ago, Indy said:

I’m not overly confident in a Hanley/Klose combination in the premiership.

I can see your point but Hanley was in the Prem albeit briefly with Newcastle until they sold him to us. I know it's conjecture but had we not been interested in him I do wonder whether they would have sold him. Dave Freezer also said he looked like he's lost a bit of weight too, so clearly wants to fight for his place and there's no reason he couldn't do a job. Again going back to the Leicester comparison who would have thought Morgan would have been a mainstay at CB for so long.

As for Klose, though a lot has been said about his pedigree his injury record isn't great, and I do wonder had he not got injured at Palace that season in the Prem with AN we might have stayed up?

The centre back situation has gone from being quietly underlying to now a focus point in a matter of days, some say we won't look to bring in (a) permanent replacement(s) but as it stands, with two injuries to our starters from last season, and the Klose situation I don't see what choice we have.

On the central defensive issue- if the Godfrey injury is serious I see Chelsea want to send Ethan Ampadu out on loan- might be worth a look?

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

On the central defensive issue- if the Godfrey injury is serious I see Chelsea want to send Ethan Ampadu out on loan- might be worth a look?

That would be our last loan option right assuming he's British??

Just now, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

That would be our last loan option right assuming he's British??

He's Welsh so yeah but I can't see where else we'll use a loan at this point.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think the majority of Chelsea's youngsters will be given the opportunity to develop in their first team this season, due to Lampard now being manager and their transfer restrictions. Would be a good signing, but just cant see it happening. I still think we're looking for a high profile CB (considering our previous bidding on Vida) and wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at a quality CDM player as well. I wonder whether their was any truth in the Ontiveros rumor. Guess we'll see at some stage this week.

Pleased with the Byram acquisition, shrewd business IMO from Webber. One player that providing he can stay fit will only increase in value and provide adequate competition/cover for several roles.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Pleased with the Byram deal

I also kind of think we're building a team for IF we go down too in the view we'll most likely lose some of our quality youth. I have to say, Webber and Farke are quite the double act balancing all this - it's crazy that we have some kind of forward planning in place now.

I appreciate we'd all like to see Max, Jamal, Buendia etc for years to come playing in yellow and green but the harsh  truth is being self funding (more or less) means there's little room for sentiment, just more of a case of enjoy them whilst they're here.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

Reason for a bit of hope there as apparently the protective boot is off.

Just now, ron obvious said:

Reason for a bit of hope there as apparently the protective boot is off.

Still on crutches thought which is far more concerning than the boot - which will have been put on as a precaution at first. 

Guessing there will be some news soon, although it might not come out until the Schalke friendly on Friday. 

I doubt Chelsea will send Ampadu anywhere that he isn’t going to be first choice. Lampard might look to do Derby a favour and send him there. 

10 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I also kind of think we're building a team for IF we go down too in the view we'll most likely lose some of our quality youth. I have to say, Webber and Farke are quite the double act balancing all this - it's crazy that we have some kind of forward planning in place now.

I appreciate we'd all like to see Max, Jamal, Buendia etc for years to come playing in yellow and green but the harsh  truth is being self funding (more or less) means there's little room for sentiment, just more of a case of enjoy them whilst they're here.

Yeah, I agree. If we go down and Max leaves we've got a proven championship quality right back who also counts as homegrown.

Def need the Defensive midfield position addressed. That and an attacking midfielder to push Marco and we are there. Although wonder is Mario may play there ahead of Leitner and the new DM.

Hope, for their careers, Husband and Marshall can get their moves. Oli seems on the way and hence opens up wages for that key DM position

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Still on crutches thought which is far more concerning than the boot - which will have been put on as a precaution at first. 

Guessing there will be some news soon, although it might not come out until the Schalke friendly on Friday. 

I doubt Chelsea will send Ampadu anywhere that he isn’t going to be first choice. Lampard might look to do Derby a favour and send him there. 

Linked with Villa this morning. 

50 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I can see your point but Hanley was in the Prem albeit briefly with Newcastle until they sold him to us.

Grant Hanley made 30 odd appearances for Blackburn in the premier at the start of his career and was highly rated. 

• Like 1

Byram seems like a decent deal, fits the Webber blueprint

Edited by kirku

10 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Cor that would be nice!

I think it's a solid signing. He's 25, has played over 150 games (including 20+ in the Premiership), and is homegrown. Only downside is his recent injury record.

• Like 1

I  think the Tettey replacement is key. 

Hanley and Klose are good enough IMO, but will be under a lot of pressure without a Tettey upgrade in front of them. 

• Like 1

Everyone knows it! We need a DM! I'm sure it's being worked on.

Now, can we stop bringing this up in EVERY post please?! 🤪🤪

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

I  think the Tettey replacement is key. 

Hanley and Klose are good enough IMO, but will be under a lot of pressure without a Tettey upgrade in front of them. 

Be good to see what Hanley is capable of after a solid pre season. I suspect his passing may not be up to scratch for our preferred passing style of football. Wont judge until he's had a fair amount of games, but I think regardless we'll see another experienced leader at the back

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yeah praps... After a promotion and some of the best football we've seen Norwich playing in years you'd think they'd get on the train wouldn't you.

Not really, they are just waiting for the next slip so they can claim they were right all along......😉