Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

I think the extent of Godfreys injury now is going to change our plans.

I see team talk believe Rhodes loan is a little more likely. I cannot see why with Idah and Srbeny performing well and I think we can keep a Rhodes deal till later in the window if we really wanted it.

Has drmic played the number 10 position, Could he compete a bit with Marco?

8 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Rhodes coming back once Nelson is sold. One wage in, one out. 

I kind of doubt that very much now... Never know but think his ship may have sailed with us.

7 minutes ago, smooth said:

I think the extent of Godfreys injury now is going to change our plans.

I see team talk believe Rhodes loan is a little more likely. I cannot see why with Idah and Srbeny performing well and I think we can keep a Rhodes deal till later in the window if we really wanted it.

Has drmic played the number 10 position, Could he compete a bit with Marco?

No faith in teamtalk I'm afraid. I like Rhodes but agree the defence and DM have to be the priorities now. Drmic has played on both flanks as well as up front, but not as a number 10 as far as I know. Leitner and Vrancic can though.

I'd be astonished if Rhodes is not back by the end of the window. he may not start too many games, but his impact as a sub when we are chasing games will be even more important in the PL - no one else has his movement. Srbeny is as much cover for Stiepermann as he is a striker, and Idah can be loaned after the window if necessary.

A Rhodes return would be a poor bit of business bearing in mind the cover that we already have and the obvious need for cover in other positions.

I have never quite understood the value that he brings to a side.Highly overrated,overpriced and high wages for a bit player

2 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

A Rhodes return would be a poor bit of business bearing in mind the cover that we already have and the obvious need for cover in other positions.

I have never quite understood the value that he brings to a side.Highly overrated,overpriced and high wages for a bit player

Disagree. He is class. His movement & awareness are PL quality, although his outright pace lets him down. Unfortunately he missed a sitter at the end of last season which would have turned a draw into a win (can't remember which game) & would made him into a bit of a hero, but he did score some crucial - & well taken - goals early season. His temperament & commitment are exemplary; he really, really likes it here. Also he offers a different kind of threat in attacking terms

You often pay a lot of money for even bit part players in the PL. I don't think his wage demands would be excessive, but the transfer fee may be too much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Unfortunately he missed a sitter at the end of last season which would have turned a draw into a win (can't remember which game) & would made him into a bit of a hero

That’s got me thinking, was it Reading at home?

Unfortunately Thompson seems one of those people who’s body can’t handle the rigours of a  professional football. Massive potential but I fear he will never have a sustained run to fulfill it. 

14 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

That’s got me thinking, was it Reading at home?

It was! 'Keeper saved a header from point blank range

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I'd be astonished if Rhodes is not back by the end of the window. he may not start too many games, but his impact as a sub when we are chasing games will be even more important in the PL - no one else has his movement. Srbeny is as much cover for Stiepermann as he is a striker, and Idah can be loaned after the window if necessary.

Only going to happen if the club don’t think Idah is up to it. 

Limiting the chances of a young player to bring in a 30 year old on loan is pretty much the opposite of everything Webber is trying to build. 

No way Norwich will have 5 strikers on the books when the window closes, so still need to see Srbeny and/or Idah go out before Rhodes would come in. 

Add in the complications Sheff W have with needing to change their manager now and Rhodes playing and scoring in a friendly for them. 

• Like 1

Will honestly never get my head around this hard on so many Norwich fans have for Rhodes. A decent squad player at Championship level but nothing more.

• Like 2

Don't forget Rhodes had a BIG influence in the dressing room last season. Plus he's spent a lot of his time after the season in Norfolk, he clearly loves us and we love him ❤️

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Will honestly never get my head around this hard on so many Norwich fans have for Rhodes. A decent squad player at Championship level but nothing more.

I imagine it's because he loved the club and the area, comes across as a genuinely nice guy, made all the right noises in interviews etc and was part of one of the greatest seasons in our history.

But I get what you mean about his level of ability. As soon as £8 million was quoted I got over the idea of having him back. I still think something like £5 million would be way too much, even though I like Rhodes too.

2 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I imagine it's because he loved the club and the area, comes across as a genuinely nice guy, made all the right noises in interviews etc and was part of one of the greatest seasons in our history.

But I get what you mean about his level of ability. As soon as £8 million was quoted I got over the idea of having him back. I still think something like £5 million would be way too much, even though I like Rhodes too.

Yeah I get all that I just think people are getting far too sentimental about him. I felt the same way about Elliott Bennett at times- seems a lovely guy but people seemed unable to distinguish between personality and footballing ability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yeah I get all that I just think people are getting far too sentimental about him. I felt the same way about Elliott Bennett at times- seems a lovely guy but people seemed unable to distinguish between personality and footballing ability.

Suggestion of a loan on all the weirdass and barely reliable rumour sites... https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-norwich-closing-in-on-striker-loan-deal

That would be preferable...

Edited by BobLoz3

Rhodes would be an asset at the right price. There will be times next season when we need a goal and I believe it would be better putting Rhodes on than SrBeny.

Obviously we won't be having as many goal attempts next season and it will be important for our goal to chances ratio is as good as possible.

As for defenders, the current injuries could mean we are missing three of last year's CB's for the opener.

Trouble is, we have some players we kind of relied on last season like Teemu and Emi. and if they were missing at any time. the lack of cover could leave us in trouble.

But I am sure they have thought this over and will meet the needs. We must not buy for the sake of it and end up with the bunch we have just finally got shot of.

2 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Suggestion of a loan on all the weirdass and barely reliable rumour sites... https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-norwich-closing-in-on-striker-loan-deal

That would be preferable...

Can’t see Sheff W agreeing a deal just as they are changing manager.

Also think Norwich with give Idah a chance, so if Rhodes comes it will be towards the end of the window - similar to to Krul coming in once Remi Matthews was given a chance. 

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Also think Norwich with give Idah a chance, so if Rhodes comes it will be towards the end of the window - similar to to Krul coming in once Remi Matthews was given a chance. 

Yeah same... I mean, I don't really put any stock on those rumour sites.

Also, if Godfrey is going to be out and we need a CB, I'd rather we looked at a loan in that position and it would be better to have one from a British club who might be able to hit the ground running. It's all hypothetical and a bit up in the air just now, but seems as though we may have to change plans a bit.

I'm hoping the Godfrey injury isn't as bad as first thought. Fingers crossed.

Ps... I'd also like to see Idah get a chance in this squad.

52 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Only going to happen if the club don’t think Idah is up to it. 

Limiting the chances of a young player to bring in a 30 year old on loan is pretty much the opposite of everything Webber is trying to build. 

I agree Bethno, Idahs 15 mins on the Pitch yesterday went ok, his hold up play was decent, at one point losing control of the ball only to burst on to it again, regain possession and a tidy lay off. His movement was good and could possibly have scored if the rebound off the post had fell more kindly or if he'd fancied going in Fashanu Style( john, not Justin) on the Keeper. He certainly did not look like a boy against men, i thought he looks quite physically imposing, a far cry from the kid i first saw play  6 years ago. He was never small ,but now looks strong as an Ox. I am very keen to see how the pace he had as a lad , now compares with Top Level players....something Jordan Rhodes does not have. Just adding that i have no issues with JR, but if Idah is considered ready then we dont need Rhodes.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Rhodes returning seems a backward step to me, as all players in the squad need to be able to play in the number of games required - not simply as an impact sub or because they add merriment to the dressing room.

Yes his attitude and commitment have been a refreshing mirror to that of Olivira, but we are where we are because sentiment has gone out of the window... along with a umber of former coaches and loyal players.

Idah looks good enough to step up and so will only improve over the coming months. Rhodes has had his time and will most likely drop off over the coming months. Harsh on a decent bloke but there is too much at stake for sentiment, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Yes, that was a classic piece of what Chris Lackey dubbed 'churnalism'. Teamtalk pumped out the rumour and within an hour blog after blog copied and pasted it to create what EDP called 'mounting speculation' before dismissing it after checking with the club. Expect the speculation to go on mounting though.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-jordan-rhodes-loan-move-reports-latest-1-6161385

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Rhodes returning seems a backward step to me, as all players in the squad need to be able to play in the number of games required - not simply as an impact sub or because they add merriment to the dressing room.

Yes his attitude and commitment have been a refreshing mirror to that of Olivira, but we are where we are because sentiment has gone out of the window... along with a umber of former coaches and loyal players.

Idah looks good enough to step up and so will only improve over the coming months. Rhodes has had his time and will most likely drop off over the coming months. Harsh on a decent bloke but there is too much at stake for sentiment, I'm afraid.

Agreed, last sentence is spot on.

Spyrou playing for Chesterfield tonight as a triallist. Potential loan on the cards presumably - Can't imagine we'd be letting him go.

Yesterday's game had its positives and negatives, but Srbeny's well taken goal and Idah's confident debut were both the former. Drmic made a solid debut as well, leading the line and scoring the penalty and Roberts looked promising. We need to see more in the next game, but it certainly seems that we should now be focusing on defensive options.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Totally agree king, especially now it looks like we’re going to be without Godfrey and Zimmermann for a while, I’d much rather see the money used on decent CB & DM to cover our potential weaknesses. I’m not overly confident in a Hanley/Klose combination in the premiership.

22 minutes ago, Yelloow Since 72 said:

Yesterday's game had its positives and negatives, but Srbeny's well taken goal and Idah's confident debut were both the former. Drmic made a solid debut as well, leading the line and scoring the penalty and Roberts looked promising. We need to see more in the next game, but it certainly seems that we should now be focusing on defensive options.

A decent pitch would have helped, the grass looked long and the underlying surface bumpy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Indy said:

Totally agree king, especially now it looks like we’re going to be without Godfrey and Zimmermann for a while, I’d much rather see the money used on decent CB & DM to cover our potential weaknesses. I’m not overly confident in a Hanley/Klose combination in the premiership.

Not sure whether we are in a position to spend money for a transfer on a short-term fix in central defense if we weren’t planning to upgrade.  But if we were already looking for a DM then we might even more prioritise that position, and perhaps even look for even more of an upgrade than we had been expecting..

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not sure whether we are in a position to spend money for a transfer on a short-term fix in central defense if we weren’t planning to upgrade.  But if we were already looking for a DM then we might even more prioritise that position, and perhaps even look for even more of an upgrade than we had been expecting..

Probably nothing more than me putting 2+2 together and making 79, but can't help wondering if we might move for Semi Ajayi. We've supposedly been interested in him in the past and he can play equally well as a central defender or defensive midfielder. If we've got a short term problem in central defence and a longer term need for a defensive midfielder then he could fit both requirements.........and Paul Warne is a Norwich fan......... and we loaned Rotherham Carlton Morris.......🙂

• Like 1