Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

I think a lot will depend, as in the Cardiff scenario, on how we are doing.  Its a balance between accepting that we don't have the riches of the majority of the teams, versus our right to be in the league courtesy of our outstanding performance last season.

Whatever happens, I'm sure there will be times when Webber and the board will have to hold their nerve if the going gets tough.  After all, the results in the first few games of last season weren't great and many were questioning Farke. 

There might also be the challenge of holding onto our star players in January if we are struggling.

13 hours ago, Badger said:

The accounts state "Additional payments amounting to a maximum of £22,478,323 (2017: £23,711,287) will become payable if certain conditions in transfer and player contracts at 30 June 2018 are fulfilled" - I'd have thought that these were linked to promotion.

In addition "Additional signing on fees up to a maximum of £1,701,618...will become payable to players subject to the terms and conditions of their contracts being fulfilled." These are likely to be promotion related, I'd have thought

That is just over £24 million. Plus there is the repayment of the loan + 25% promotion bonus + interest for the year, which will take us well over £30 million for getting promoted. The club has also referred to expensive but not particularly visible structural upgrades that promotion necessitates.

I genuinely think, if some of the best posters on the Pink Un write an 'open letter' to the club they'll let us know what the score is and allay all our fears.. :classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I genuinely think, if some of the best posters on the Pink Un write an 'open letter' to the club they'll let us know what the score is and allay all our fears.. :classic_biggrin:

I seem to remember McNally writing to Purple, and addressing him as such, in years gone by?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

If we are in that kind of position come January I wonder if fans will want us to stick to the sensible long-term strategy.

'fans' might not but supporters will

• Like 1

Who knows we could be a breath of fresh air in the Premier League and get some amazing results with goals galore or we could flop completely.

Either way we will be back in the money, big time, and with the good financial sense now exhibited by Webber and Co. relegation will undoubtedly not have the negative impact of the last time around and we will again be amongst the big boys and the favourites in the Chumps.

I get the impression that few Canary fans will resort to widespread criticism should it all come unstuck next season. We know the score, we've been to the brink and back so let's just enjoy that dream ticket of a opener against the European champions which is being televised in front of millions.

It doesn't much get better than that and despite the fact that binners continue to see our respective fortunes in the only way they are able, whereby we will be the Premier League "whipping boys" when they will start to win games at last let's enjoy the moment and the future season of high profile games and exposure.

Burton Albion or Liverpool anybody?

Edited by BroadstairsR

I'm not so sure Broadstairs - there were plenty of people who quickly became disillusioned when we weren't winning 3 or 4-0 at half time. Yes, the momentum built up during last season and there were some incredible results and performances along the way, but managing expectations is going to be a key part of our season.  Maybe not widespread criticism, but the grumbles will return if things aren't going well.  We'll see in just 4 weeks' time!

The grumbles always return when things are a bit ropey.

Nothing unusual in that.

I will be highly delighted if things go well but there never has and never will be any guarantee.

Enjoy the ups because there will be downs. We are NCFC supporters and it's what we do.

Edited by ricardo
spelling
  • Like 8

I have to admit, I do think we'll see quite a fair few games where our approach to it will be considered 'boring' by many. The simple facts are, we'll need to play a bit more defensively in certain games.

I know that isn't the way Farke likes to do things and we have a glut of very good attacking players. So, I'm fully expecting that there are some games where we go all out. I always think Norwich sides (of the past and now) have looked WAY better and more likely to get something when playing attacking football. Best form of defence and all that...

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I seem to remember McNally writing to Purple, and addressing him as such, in years gone by?

It was a touch on the embarrassing side. He seemed quite pathetically grateful that the most respected and influential poster🤓 on this (or any other) message-board had had deigned to contact him...😎

Re these figures, as City1st pointed out a page or so back, our income - depending on prize money and the number of TV appearances - should be at least £130m rather than £100m.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tired said:

Looks like some Super Mario contract news coming up

Or Aarons/Lewis/Leitner? 🙂

Do we reckon the news will come tonight, or tomorrow?

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Or Aarons/Lewis/Leitner? 🙂

Do we reckon the news will come tonight, or tomorrow?

I reckon tonight.... probably take him to June 2021 😉

which would be 🤩

A couple of reports today, we are now second favourites to sign Bowen behind Southampton (but we won’t, and I’m not fussed about that), and Oliveira’s move to AEK is all but done and dusted.

On 12/07/2019 at 17:26, PurpleCanary said:

It was a touch on the embarrassing side. He seemed quite pathetically grateful that the most respected and influential poster🤓 on this (or any other) message-board had had deigned to contact him...😎

Re these figures, as City1st pointed out a page or so back, our income - depending on prize money and the number of TV appearances - should be at least £130m rather than £100m.

McNally actually asked me to become an investor in the restaurant business he is involved in now, but we had some fundamental disagreements. I was in favour of bringing in a Michelin-starred chef from the continent but he insisted on keeping this Glaswegian who had run a fried-food snack bar. And I wanted to expand capacity by putting extra seating in the garden area. But he said  it would only get fully used some weekends, if then...

Meanwhile, The Guardian estimates our budgeted transfer spend for this season at £35m. The piece is by Paul MacInnes, who is a Norwich City fan, but I have never got the particular impression he receives much inside information on the club. And there is no explanation as to whether this figure is for transfer fees, or includes potential extra wages as well.

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

McNally actually asked me to become an investor in the restaurant business he is involved in now, but we had some fundamental disagreements. I was in favour of bringing in a Michelin-starred chef from the continent but he insisted on keeping this Glaswegian who had run a fried-food snack bar. And I wanted to expand capacity by putting extra seating in the garden area. But he said  it would only get fully used some weekends, if then...

Meanwhile, The Guardian estimates our budgeted transfer spend for this season at £35m. The piece is by Paul MacInnes, who is a Norwich City fan, but I have never got the particular impression he receives much inside information on the club. And there is no explanation as to whether this figure is for transfer fees, or includes potential extra wages as well.

The number in the Guardian is a bit of a stab in the dark I believe - not based on any particular knowledge. 

19 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

A couple of reports today, we are now second favourites to sign Bowen behind Southampton (but we won’t, and I’m not fussed about that), and Oliveira’s move to AEK is all but done and dusted.

I believe a Twitter ‘ITK’ account has linked Norwich to Bowen. I suspect the market for where Bowen will go next is pretty tiny, so even one of his gullible followers puts a tenner on it the odds will move favourably towards Norwich. 

Wouldn’t pay too much attention to the Bowen stuff - although I am surprised there isn’t more speculation around him as he is a really good player and almost certainly moving this summer. 

I half wonder if the Club are held waiting to confirm Oliveira is off before they make concrete move for our version of a marque signing, no doubt if we get Bowen the money would be up there for our summer buys. Perhaps they need to get possibly one of our highest earners off the wage bill first? This is pure speculation motivated more by boredom than anything I know! 

1 minute ago, birchfest said:

I half wonder if the Club are held waiting to confirm Oliveira is off before they make concrete move for our version of a marque signing, no doubt if we get Bowen the money would be up there for our summer buys. Perhaps they need to get possibly one of our highest earners off the wage bill first? This is pure speculation motivated more by boredom than anything I know! 

I'd be surprised if we bring in a 'marquee signing' whether Nelson remains on the books or not. With the injuries we have at the moment, I don't see us spending £10m+ on an attacking player such as Bowen... Farke alluded to wanting 'one or two more', but I think they're more likely to be signings to bolster the squad than big names to strengthen the starting XI.

4 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I really like Bowen and would be delighted if we signed him but I can't see him coming to us, for a few reasons:

A) We are quite well stocked with wingers, albeit that Bowen can play on the left and we do need a bit of competition there.

B) If Southampton are in the race then I am quite sure he'd rather go there.

C) I just don't think we can afford him! If we are looking for another winger, I feel that the Ontiveros link is probably more likely.

I am, however, massively concerned about Godfrey's injury. If we have to go into the Prem opener with Klose and Hanley as our CB pairing... eeek. I would like to see us bring in another CB but also understand the reasoning on here as to why we may well not.

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

I really like Bowen and would be delighted if we signed him but I can't see him coming to us, for a few reasons:

A) We are quite well stocked with wingers, albeit that Bowen can play on the left and we do need a bit of competition there.

B) If Southampton are in the race then I am quite sure he'd rather go there.

C) I just don't think we can afford him! If we are looking for another winger, I feel that the Ontiveros link is probably more likely.

I am, however, massively concerned about Godfrey's injury. If we have to go into the Prem opener with Klose and Hanley as our CB pairing... eeek. I would like to see us bring in another CB but also understand the reasoning on here as to why we may well not.

I believe that Ontiveros is off to Villareal. I don’t think Norwich were ever in for him - just Malaga trying to get a bit more money out of Villareal by using the threat of ‘money bag’ premier League clubs. 

Norwich could afford a deal for Bowen, especially is Ben Marshall is use as part of the deal. Southampton have signed a £10m winger already this window so aren’t prioritising anymore in those positions. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I believe that Ontiveros is off to Villareal. I don’t think Norwich were ever in for him - just Malaga trying to get a bit more money out of Villareal by using the threat of ‘money bag’ premier League clubs. 

Norwich could afford a deal for Bowen, especially is Ben Marshall is use as part of the deal. Southampton have signed a £10m winger already this window so aren’t prioritising anymore in those positions. 

Would certainly be an exciting signing and one that would definitely improve the team. You never know, I guess...

Can see a cb coming in on loan especially if godfreys injury is bad. Obviously need a dm and right back cover but that will be us done I imagine. 

49 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Can see a cb coming in on loan especially if godfreys injury is bad. Obviously need a dm and right back cover but that will be us done I imagine. 

Yep, if he (Godfrey) needs an op & is out for 2-3 months and with Zimmermann missing all of pre-season and doubts over Klose's knee, we'll definitely need a CB.  Like others, I'd have thought we were only otherwise looking for a RB and CDM.  Interesting that Thompson played at RB yesterday, perhaps Farke sees his position there rather than CDM.

17 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Yep, if he (Godfrey) needs an op & is out for 2-3 months and with Zimmermann missing all of pre-season and doubts over Klose's knee, we'll definitely need a CB.  Like others, I'd have thought we were only otherwise looking for a RB and CDM.  Interesting that Thompson played at RB yesterday, perhaps Farke sees his position there rather than CDM.

Thompson started the Leeds game as a defensive midfielder, but after that all his sub minutes were at right back, or even on the wing. 

He didn’t look great versus Leeds and that might have been the game when Farke changes his view on him. 

Personally I don’t think he has the passing or technical skills to be in a Farke midfield (which is why Godfrey was moved to centreback also). 

I think there was a conversation that farke has played Thompson in the RB, RW position and sees him in those positions rather than DM.

I Def think the 1-2 that DF mentioned now needs to be 2-3

DM - imperative, RB - cover and AM or CB (if Godfrey is out for a long time).

I do think Marco needs to have some competition in the number 10 position.

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'd be surprised if we bring in a 'marquee signing' whether Nelson remains on the books or not. With the injuries we have at the moment, I don't see us spending £10m+ on an attacking player such as Bowen... Farke alluded to wanting 'one or two more', but I think they're more likely to be signings to bolster the squad than big names to strengthen the starting XI.

Rhodes coming back once Nelson is sold. One wage in, one out. 

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Makes sense to use Marshall to ease the Bowen deal, but I fear that the injuries to Zimmermann and Godfrey may have scuppered that idea and we'll now need the money for a CB.

8 minutes ago, smooth said:

I think there was a conversation that farke has played Thompson in the RB, RW position and sees him in those positions rather than DM.

I Def think the 1-2 that DF mentioned now needs to be 2-3

DM - imperative, RB - cover and AM or CB (if Godfrey is out for a long time).

I do think Marco needs to have some competition in the number 10 position.

Fact is we can't rely on Thompson even for cover as his body isn't up to it - shame, as he's always looked promising; I think we'll be getting at least 3 more.