Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think there is scope for one sizeable transfer of several millions (though I would imagine not into eight figures) if that is what it takes to get the particular player we want for the particular position we really want to fill. I know loans and "free" transfers do not come cheap, but we have not yet spent any money on transfer fees for the first-team squad.

Fahrmann loan fee seemed huge, but it was never confirmed that it was £3 million. It seemed way too much to me, but I guess that it's a possibility.

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think there is scope for one sizeable transfer of several millions (though I would imagine not into eight figures) if that is what it takes to get the particular player we want for the particular position we really want to fill. I know loans and "free" transfers do not come cheap, but we have not yet spent any money on transfer fees for the first-team squad.

I'm not sure that would fit with the current plan. One that suggests the players are pretty much all on the same wages. A larger fee would mean a reflected larger wage.

We had £9m in bonuses for staying in the PL (last time) so there is every thought that we would have the same this time. However the club will not want to see a relegated carrying an affordable PL size wage bill with only two seasons of parachute payments.

That looks to be why we have signed loans to help us through the first season. Get a years worth of TV money under our belt and with three years of parachute payments we will step things up a bit come next summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobLoz3 said:

Fahrmann loan fee seemed huge, but it was never confirmed that it was £3 million. It seemed way too much to me, but I guess that it's a possibility.

If anything worried me about that report it was not the loan fee but the level of wages he might be on, and whether - if true, and I stress if true - that might be upsetting our wage structure.

If the increase in turnover to £100m in the first season is accurate, and there was already a committment to £22m spend on promotion for bonuses, the bond repayment and additional transfer fees, that leaves £78m this year to cover all increased wages, fees and running costs. Loan fees we have already spent are about £5m on Fahrman and Roberts and probably another £2-3m more on moving some of the under 23s in. I wouldn't imagine there is a huge amount left over for actual transfer fees for the first team - but then I don't think that was ever the plan.

I still expect Rhodes to join us once Sheff Weds get rid of Bruce and we get closer to the deadline, and I suspect Webber will hold onto what is left of his kitty for January so I'm not expecting any more incoming.

• Like 1

Not sure that would be the case as he's a loan. Had he just been signed on a 40k per week 5 year deal then perhaps.

Even though he supposedly took a cut to come here I wouldn't be surprised if Rhodes was in the top few earners.

What's this one all about?  Is that Florida? 

Edited by Surfer

that's an extra dank meme, screenshot from a Grand Theft Auto game. The quote is something about ''oh ****, not this again''. It'll be contract news, presumably Aarons.

5 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

If the increase in turnover to £100m in the first season is accurate, and there was already a committment to £22m spend on promotion for bonuses, the bond repayment and additional transfer fees, that leaves £78m this year to cover all increased wages, fees and running costs. Loan fees we have already spent are about £5m on Fahrman and Roberts and probably another £2-3m more on moving some of the under 23s in. I wouldn't imagine there is a huge amount left over for actual transfer fees for the first team - but then I don't think that was ever the plan.

I still expect Rhodes to join us once Sheff Weds get rid of Bruce and we get closer to the deadline, and I suspect Webber will hold onto what is left of his kitty for January so I'm not expecting any more incoming.

It's not.

The minimum TV money is around £98m with another £30m plus from tickets, hospitality, sponsorship etc ...

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If anything worried me about that report it was not the loan fee but the level of wages he might be on, and whether - if true, and I stress if true - that might be upsetting our wage structure.

Yeah I wonder if it's a case of Schalke paying a percentage of his wages?

I think our real strength is when we appointed farke it was to improve, day on day on the training pitch. When you think of our signings. Zimmerman has improved hugely, Hernandez, vrancic, steiperman and that’s not to mention our own young guns. Personally I think the improvement seen is miraculous. My initial impression was. Naively, this isn’t working. I was one of the impatient wallys that wanted change but it just goes to show you need to give every regime enough time to flourish. The change from being in possession and the out ball is launch it to the wings, to Godfrey having one of the highest passing percentages Is massive. Seeing our defenders show for the ball to build from the back is so refreshing. 

Heres to continuing our awesome journey. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

It was €3m, wasn't it? Which means that with the current exchange rate, it's more like... erm, yeah, it's nearly £3m. But not quite.

On 09/07/2019 at 16:00, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Apparently Nelson will be telling AEK Athens if he will accept their offer at some point today. 

Would be great to get the majority of his wages off the club’s books. 

@Bethnal Yellow and Green - any news on Nelson? Presumably still 'weighing up his options'...

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

@Bethnal Yellow and Green - any news on Nelson? Presumably still 'weighing up his options'...

Nothing either way. Could be out in Greece sorting out the move or could have turned it down. It might be he’s agreed with the club and now AEK are speaking to Norwich. Player agreeing terms is often the first step of a transfer. 

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It was €3m, wasn't it? Which means that with the current exchange rate, it's more like... erm, yeah, it's nearly £3m. But not quite.

Hahaha! Yeah, you don't get much for your quid overseas just now!

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Nothing either way. Could be out in Greece sorting out the move or could have turned it down. It might be he’s agreed with the club and now AEK are speaking to Norwich. Player agreeing terms is often the first step of a transfer. 

Can't wait to get shot of him...!

I see Koscelny has refused to travel with Arsenal. It really pishes me off that someone in effect withdraws his labour because he wants to go somewhere else. But on the other hand, wants to sign a long term contract to secure his future but wants to break that contract when it suits. Trouble is, if they could sack him, they wouldn't get any money for him.

48 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Meh. He’s not a disruptive figure but obviously has no future at the club. I’m sure he’ll be gone one way or another this window. 

58 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Meh. He’s not a disruptive figure but obviously has no future at the club. I’m sure he’ll be gone one way or another this window. 

Frankly I think it’s a shame he’s basically wasted what should have been the prime years of his career, by being a  bit of a     t i t 

Edited by CanaryNath
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I agree with you general thrust. However, re the £78million, I'm not sure if it is quite as as high as this. Is their a source for it?

The accounts state "Additional payments amounting to a maximum of £22,478,323 (2017: £23,711,287) will become payable if certain conditions in transfer and player contracts at 30 June 2018 are fulfilled" - I'd have thought that these were linked to promotion.

In addition "Additional signing on fees up to a maximum of £1,701,618...will become payable to players subject to the terms and conditions of their contracts being fulfilled." These are likely to be promotion related, I'd have thought

That is just over £24 million. Plus there is the repayment of the loan + 25% promotion bonus + interest for the year, which will take us well over £30 million for getting promoted. The club has also referred to expensive but not particularly visible structural upgrades that promotion necessitates.

As you note wages will have also risen quite significantly automatically, before the renegotiated extensions, so we are probably paying more to get rid of Oliveira, Franke etc.

Together with the costs of short-term debt, I don't think it is unreasonable to imagine that promotion has "cost us" £35 million in one-off payments. 

I'm sure that we will have significantly more to play with next year, when we stay up!

19 hours ago, king canary said:

Agreed.

A few years ago I think our lack of spending on fees after promotion would have been causing much more angst. Now though the club feels like it has a strategy and a plan which makes it OK.

Agreed. But the test  - for the board and for fans - might come in January. I remember last season pundits were saying early on how relaxed and pleasant Neil Warnock was to deal with (I think he is an interesting character but many seem to hate him), in contrast to how he normally behaved.

And the explanation for his sunny mood was that he'd assumed Cardiff hadn't a hope of staying up. So no pressure. But come December/January, although Fulham and Huddersfield already looked doomed, Cardiff were  only a couple of points from 17th.

The result, with this hope of staying up, was that Warnock reverted to his usual stroppy persona, but more significantly Cardiff went and spent money (on Bacuna and poor Sala) they probably hadn't intended to. If we are in that kind of position come January I wonder if fans will want us to stick to the sensible long-term strategy.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Agreed. But the test  - for the board and for fans - might come in January. I remember last season pundits were saying early on how relaxed and pleasant Neil Warnock was to deal with (I think he is an interesting character but many seem to hate him), in contrast to how he normally behaved.

And the explanation for his sunny mood was that he'd assumed Cardiff hadn't a hope of staying up. So no pressure. But come December/January, although Fulham and Huddersfield already looked doomed, Cardiff were  only a couple of points from 17th.

The result, with this hope of staying up, was that Warnock reverted to his usual stroppy persona, but more significantly Cardiff went and spent money (on Bacuna and poor Sala) they probably hadn't intended to. If we are in that kind of position come January I wonder if fans will want us to stick to the sensible long-term strategy.

That is fair- I assume Webber and co will stay the course but fans mood may change. I very much doubt we'll see another January like we had under Alex Neil though and I don't think fans would be pushing for it.

• Like 2