Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

He’s also not naive enough to think what was a winning formula in the Championship will necessarily work in the Premier League. If he believes based on what he sees in pre-season that we will be better with new players, I would expect him to pick them. Sentiment is all very well but it won’t beat Liverpool, only our very best team has a chance of doing that.

Nothing whatsoever to do with sentiment. Re-read the above postings.

If it's not broke don't fix it. If it's a bridge too far for some of our players then Farke will work this out and select accordingly.

Edited by BroadstairsR

8 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Not sure this comparison really works- Farke started Krul, Marshall, Pukki and Rhodes all of whom were new signings on the first day of last season."

His first season was a failure though, some call it a transition period but the end result was. somewhat of an humiliation.

We finished below Ipswich Town in the  league standings for goodness sake.

Changes needed making and we lost Maddison as well, and Gunn was just a season's loan..

This last season's team has been so successful that any changes in it's make up need evaluating with the utmost scrutiny.

Besides,  Farke is everything in our eyes but he's not a tinkerman. He follows a winning formula.

That's kind of my point.

Saying 'Aarons and Buendia didn't come straight into the team' isn't really relevant because last season was a totally different situation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Not sure this comparison really works- Farke started Krul, Marshall, Pukki and Rhodes all of whom were new signings on the first day of last season."

His first season was a failure though, some call it a transition period but the end result was. somewhat of an humiliation.

We finished below Ipswich Town in the  league standings for goodness sake.

Changes needed making and we lost Maddison as well, and Gunn was just a season's loan..

This last season's team has been so successful that any changes in it's make up need evaluating with the utmost scrutiny.

Besides,  Farke is everything in our eyes but he's not a tinkerman. He follows a winning formula.

Very sensible post Broady , but he will know where the positions are that we need to assess...You can see that in the signings we have already made (back up for Krul, wide player,...). He's not going to change a lot , unless he thinks he needs to... We shipped quite a lot of goals last season, so the defensive side is still "lacking" , I mean I still think he wants to strengthen that part. A winning formula in the PL is a whole different proposition...so I think there will be some changes , just maybe not in the first game (Zimbo aside)...

20 hours ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I'd rather have Jim Bowen...

(Can't believe three pages of this and not one of you did it 🙂)

Sorry to be a killjoy Mr Hipster, but it was all done back in March...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Sorry to be a killjoy Mr Hipster, but it was all done back in March...

I thought he was recently linked to Arsenal. Im not sure whether this is a target for Norwich or not. Time will tell. Ps. Any news on Vrancic? I didnt see him in any training photos. Wonder whether he has been granted extended time off due to his time with Bosnia

Edited by jaberry2

9 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I thought he was recently linked to Arsenal. Im not sure whether this is a target for Norwich or not. Time will tell. Ps. Any news on Vrancic? I didnt see him in any training photos. Wonder whether he has been granted extended time off due to his time with Bosnia

Bowen has been linked to Arsenal, Spurs and Southampton. He’s in his last year of contract and isn’t planning on extending. Hull want to sell now to maximise value and seem to be trying to get an auction going. 

The PinkUn report said Vrancic was being rested during the morning training session, along with Tettey and Cantwell. It was in that one session that the media were allowed to take pictures etc. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, king canary said:

Not sure this comparison really works- Farke started Krul, Marshall, Pukki and Rhodes all of whom were new signings on the first day of last season. 

I think it is worth remembering that we're in virgin territory here with Farke. The last two off-seasons have seen a large scale overhaul of the squad. This is the first time we'll really see how Farke works when it comes to bringing new signings into a settled squad. 

On the first point, DF had little choice. Krul came in because Gunn had left. Marshall played at LB because of injuries, as I recall. DF wasn't going to play Oliveira because of his attitude and his failure to fit Farkeball. The only other choice was Srbeny. This season he has proven players in all of those positions. 

The second point is certainly true and it's possible that he may decide to play Fährmann instead of Rhodes after a full pre-season, but I can't see Drmic and Roberts replacing Pukki and Buendia at Liverpool unless there are injuries.

Just reading about the trialist we have in for the U23 and our tour to Germany.

Miguel Mussel Quintais... Apparently played at the same club Rocky Bushiri was at last season. From watching his YouTube clips, seems another AM kind of player. Good eye for a through ball... 

3 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Just reading about the trialist we have in for the U23 and our tour to Germany.

Miguel Mussel Quintais... Apparently played at the same club Rocky Bushiri was at last season. From watching his YouTube clips, seems another AM kind of player. Good eye for a through ball... 

He may be Belgian, but his name is Musset not Mussel. 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's Portuguese, smarty pants 😂

(His citizenship, at least)

Edited by BobLoz3

9 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

He's Portuguese, smarty pants 😂

(His citizenship, at least)

Dual national I believe  - but Belgian worked best for the joke.

Norwich managed to spell his name wrong in the squad list, which isn’t the first time they have done this with a youth player. 

With the amount of Belgians joining the youth team the club chefs will have to work on their waffle and mussels recipes (not together obviously). 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

With the amount of Belgians joining the youth team the club chefs will have to work on their waffle and mussels recipes (not together obviously). 

Plenty of waffle on here most days 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Nothing whatsoever to do with sentiment. Re-read the above postings.

If it's not broke don't fix it. If it's a bridge too far for some of our players then Farke will work this out and select accordingly.

I think we are largely in violent agreement on this.

The sentiment thing is interesting though. I don't remember a time when there's been such across the board support for the club and the way it's going about preparations. The only suggestion of opposition in here is from Waveney (is it me or has he got at least a couple of accounts going?), and that's largely for sh*ts and giggles from what I can tell. Are we still basking in last season's fairy tale and should we actually be a bit more ruthless? I guess if anyone is going to be dispassionate about the squad, it will be Webber.

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think we are largely in violent agreement on this.

The sentiment thing is interesting though. I don't remember a time when there's been such across the board support for the club and the way it's going about preparations. The only suggestion of opposition in here is from Waveney (is it me or has he got at least a couple of accounts going?), and that's largely for sh*ts and giggles from what I can tell. Are we still basking in last season's fairy tale and should we actually be a bit more ruthless? I guess if anyone is going to be dispassionate about the squad, it will be Webber.

I can’t remember a more complete, positive attitude from supporters. Everything seems to be going in the right direction. We’ve got a good, exciting young team who play good football. Our finances seem really good. Our youth/-23s are being being stocked with potentially really good players. We have an excellent team spirit and players generally seem to want to be a part of it. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

I can’t remember a more complete, positive attitude from supporters. Everything seems to be going in the right direction. We’ve got a good, exciting young team who play good football. Our finances seem really good. Our youth/-23s are being being stocked with potentially really good players. We have an excellent team spirit and players generally seem to want to be a part of it. Long may it continue. 

Agreed.

A few years ago I think our lack of spending on fees after promotion would have been causing much more angst. Now though the club feels like it has a strategy and a plan which makes it OK.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He looks like a younger Buendia in that video and like him, comfortable cutting in from wide positions as well. He seldom needs a second touch and has an eye for goals. Have to consider the level he's playing at, but he looks to be a good prospect.

Edited by Yelloow Since 72

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Agreed.

A few years ago I think our lack of spending on fees after promotion would have been causing much more angst. Now though the club feels like it has a strategy and a plan which makes it OK.

Fans now take having no money and not spending anything as a point of pride. An incredible turn around from when there was wailing and moaning that Norwich wouldn’t match Villa’s bid for McCormack. 

The positivity felt now was probably matched by the general feeling around the club after promotion to the Prem under Lambert. 

The summer before Hughton’s second season was also a very happy one. 

7 minutes ago, Legend Iwan said:

Preston have accepted a bid for Callum Robinson https://www.pnefc.net/news/2019/july/preston-north-end-accept-bid-for-callum-robinson/

Be happy with this if we're the club he's going to.

Sheff U, and the bid is apparently £10m. 

Robinson is fine, but wouldn’t want to spend £10m on him. 

Sheff Utd reckoned that they were in a similar bracket to us when it comes to spending power this Prem season... The £20 million figure quoted, as with us.

With that in mind, can anyone see us spending 10 milly on one player? I guess it's possible...

The price of ordinary English players is getting ridiculous now. I’m glad we have a group of people who discuss the merits and disadvantages of signing such players. I personally love the approach  we’re taking. A comprehensive scout report of a players abilty rather than a 30 game streak and making a rash judgement   And spending  an extra 10 million premium because they play in England. 

4 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Sheff Utd reckoned that they were in a similar bracket to us when it comes to spending power this Prem season... The £20 million figure quoted, as with us.

With that in mind, can anyone see us spending 10 milly on one player? I guess it's possible...

Not this summer. I can see us bringing in two or three more squad players for modest sums, and then if we stay up this year then I can see us battering our transfer record next summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vlad666 said:

The list, I think, is Adshead, Fitzpatrick, Bushiri, Mair and Nizet, plus perhaps Gilmour, and there was Hondermarck from a year or so back, and possibly others.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Bethnal beat me to it, but Sheffield United would have been my guess as well.

They don’t play with wingers, do they? Also just signed Freeman 

5 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

They don’t play with wingers, do they? Also just signed Freeman 

I think they’d use Robinson as a striker, he can play there also. 

14 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Sheff U have Sharp and McGoldrick as strikers, so are fairly desperate to bring in a couple. They aren’t going to be able to do that with £20m (which I don’t consider to be an accurate figure for Norwich anyway). 

Blades have tried for Maupay and McBurnie already - both of whom would be well over £10m - so they have money to spend. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not this summer. I can see us bringing in two or three more squad players for modest sums, and then if we stay up this year then I can see us battering our transfer record next summer.

I think there is scope for one sizeable transfer of several millions (though I would imagine not into eight figures) if that is what it takes to get the particular player we want for the particular position we really want to fill. I know loans and "free" transfers do not come cheap, but we have not yet spent any money on transfer fees for the first-team squad.

41 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Sheff U, and the bid is apparently £10m. 

Robinson is fine, but wouldn’t want to spend £10m on him. 

Yep, that would also make sense. Be surprised though if we don't bring in another forward option that can play out wide and up front.

Yeah, I think the 20m figure is a load of rubbish. Webber/Farke have said that we'll have the smallest budget in the league and a tabloid followed by all of the Archant journos parroting were the ones to put the 20m figure out there. Perhaps to dampen expectations? who knows.

You could easily see a 30 or 40m spend being the smallest in the division.