Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Have we announced this Gilmour signing yet...and as important, did Mario sign that 1-year extension?

Think the answers are no and, ummm, no.

But this site has us down as having signed Gilmour https://www.utrechtfans.nl/nieuws/transfers-geruchten/237332/el-yaakoubi-op-proef-hij-krijgt-de-kans-hier-zich-te-bewijzen

I ran it through Google translate....

SC Telstar currently has four players on trial. Midfielder Charlie Gilmour and defender Timi Odusina play with Norwich City, Redouan el Yaakoubi with FC Utrecht and Bradley Vliet played with Jong SC Cambuur last season.

"All four of them will get the chance to prove themselves in the exhibition game. Then we will make a decision. We want to see if we like it, but those guys have to feel good about it too. That certainly applies to the players come here from abroad. I have lived in England myself, that is a completely different world, "says Telstar trainer Andries Jonker in the Haarlems Dagblad.

He still knows Gilmour from his time at Arsenal. "A very talented boy. His contract with Arsenal has not been renewed. Norwich City signed him after that. They want him to have playing time, so are open to a lease."
Edited by BobLoz3

40 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Liked Reed a lot but I have a feeling the DM we sign will need to be more impressive than him.

Quite right. We are likely to be fighting against Southampton at the bottom so why would we want to sign a player who can't even make their first 25? He's a hard worker but an average Championship player at best

Good to get another one in for the future in Gilmour.

It is a little odd to have no news on Mario, but I guess whatever,  he’s with us next season anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Good to get another one in for the future in Gilmour.

It is a little odd to have no news on Mario, but I guess whatever,  he’s with us next season anyway.

I have a feeling that Mario is understandably probably trying to secure a longer deal than a 1 year extension, and to be honest, I’d be wondering why we’d be adverse to that IF that were the case. Hopefully it will all get sorted soon, as he’s Premier League quality for sure. 

Interesting on the Gilmour thing. Other than the official club announcement, it couldn’t really sound anymore concrete than that.

As for Reed, it’s a no for me. Good little player, and I appreciated him whilst he was here. But with the greatest respect, I think we can do much better than that at this level, as I’m sure we’ll all see soon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I have a feeling that Mario is understandably probably trying to secure a longer deal than a 1 year extension, and to be honest, I’d be wondering why we’d be adverse to that IF that were the case. Hopefully it will all get sorted soon, as he’s Premier League quality for sure. 

Vrancic is 30, and last year we had Leitner, McLean and Vrancic all fighting for the same spot, so I can understand the reluctance to extend Vrancic much further.

16 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Vrancic is 30, and last year we had Leitner, McLean and Vrancic all fighting for the same spot, so I can understand the reluctance to extend Vrancic much further.

True, but in this day and age, where improved fitness, sports science, and a healthy diet etc are so much more part of the modern footballers life, players careers are generally lasting longer than they were 10-20 years ago when you were washed up at 30. I see no reason therefore why he can’t play on to his lower mid 30’s for us, and justify that contract. 

Edited by Alex Moss
Missing word made Vrancic look like he could have an extended career washing dishes in his local Little Chef.

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

True, but in this day and age, where improved fitness, sports science, and a healthy diet etc are so much more part of the modern footballers life, players careers are generally lasting longer than they were 10-20 years ago when you were washed up at 30. I see no reason therefore why he can’t play on to his lower mid 30’s for us, and justify that contract. 

Hmm. Not sure about that. 

‘Peak age’ has gradually been getting younger, once it was considered to be 29, but many clubs are now using 26/27. 

Players are fitter, but the demands on them is harder. Players play more at younger ages and run further in games. No amount of fitness or diet improvements will save their knees and joints from the wear and tear that comes with being a top flight professional footballer. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he was holding out for 3 years and the best Webber was willing to offer is 2 (+ a club option for 3 maybe). That's what I think he'll end up signing tbh.

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

‘Peak age’ has gradually been getting younger, once it was considered to be 29, but many clubs are now using 26/27. 

Players are fitter, but the demands on them is harder. Players play more at younger ages and run further in games. No amount of fitness or diet improvements will save their knees and joints from the wear and tear that comes with being a top flight professional footballer. 

That is a very fair point you make, Bethnal, and an interesting counter. I’m sure back in the day (and I maybe mistaken) that Arsene Wenger had a policy of not signing players either 30 or 28 and above, I think it was something like that. Which would have been a massive mistake had Ronaldo come knocking on his door! (Exception rather than the rule, granted!). And I guess ultimately, you have to take each player on a individual case by case basis. I guess only Mario knows where he’s at, but he looked pretty damn good last season, and I would take a punt that he could well do another 3 years at a good level for us. 

48 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This was discussed on the last weeks 'Undr The Cosh' podcast (Which is class BTW)

Casing point was a young lad (from Barnsley I think, name escapes me) who was tipped to be the next big thing, broke into the first team at 16/17. He never went on to make the big time and blamed it on playing too much, too early. 

He wasn't mature enough to step up 18/19 and by the time he was 26, he'd played ten years pro football and felt burnt out.

Hes now a personal trainer.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

10-20 years ago when you were washed up at 30.....

Good job no-one told Martin Peters that. 😀

Edited by lappinitup

10 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

GOOD NEWS ALERT!

Buendia now signed up on a new, 5 year contract.

Oops, didn’t expect that on the transfer thread so started a new topic! Very good news, though it confused me as I was sure this was announced last week on the same day as Pukki?! Must have been imagining it...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Out of likes, Lapps! 

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Oops, didn’t expect that on the transfer thread so started a new topic! Very good news, though it confused me as I was sure this was announced last week on the same day as Pukki?! Must have been imagining it...

I think you were... Or they announced it twice... (He's so good we gave him TWO contracts) 🤑

From ESPN.com:

"15.14 BST: Crystal Palace, Sheffield United and Norwich City are interested in Malaga winger Javier Ontiveros, sources have told ESPN FC. The 21-year-old has attracted interest from La Liga clubs after helping Malaga reach the Segunda Liga playoffs last season. But the former Spain under-19 international is keen to move to the Premier League, with last season's Championship winners Norwich leading the chase for the youngster."

Would be a strange signing, if we're going to splash out you'd have though it'd be on a DM. Only has one year left on his contract though, so might be that we think we can get him relatively cheaply. Anyone know anything about him?

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

From ESPN.com:

"15.14 BST: Crystal Palace, Sheffield United and Norwich City are interested in Malaga winger Javier Ontiveros, sources have told ESPN FC. The 21-year-old has attracted interest from La Liga clubs after helping Malaga reach the Segunda Liga playoffs last season. But the former Spain under-19 international is keen to move to the Premier League, with last season's Championship winners Norwich leading the chase for the youngster."

I'm not saying it's wrong, but why do all these rumours link the same Clubs to a player? We always seem to be linked with the same players as Blades or Villa or Saints. It smacks of agents trying to get an auction going, rather than any real interest. 

6 hours ago, lappinitup said:

or Dion Dublin, Mick Channon, Asa Hartford ........

Apologies if this is old news but there are rumours that we are attempting to sign Jared Bowen from Hull with Ben Marshall going the other way possibly forming part of the deal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Apologies if this is old news but there are rumours that we are attempting to sign Jared Bowen from Hull with Ben Marshall going the other way possibly forming part of the deal.

Bowen is 15 million all day long, Marshall is a million tops, can't see it myself. If we could make it happen though.....

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

that would be great business if true. JB is decent  and BM isn't that great.

16 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Bowen is 15 million all day long, Marshall is a million tops, can't see it myself. If we could make it happen though.....

Only a year left on his contract and he’s made it clear he wants to leave. Southampton are also looking at him - they were close but apparently another club moved into the equation and that has delayed things. 

Reckon £10m would be enough to get him, maybe less if a bidding war doesn’t kick off. His agent is certainly trying to keep the bids low.