Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

Crikey, if people are starting to consider this ‘drawn out’ what on earth was the Robbie Brady transfer?!  We only knew we were interested in Turnbull less than 48 hours ago, these are £multi million deals, they are unlikely to just happen overnight.

• Like 1

Yes maybe premature with the drawn out statement. However he was on £600 a week, it is reported that £20,000 a week is likely and he will be playing in the premier League.

I see the one of the Scottish papers note, personal terms have been agreed on a 4 year deal with us pipping Wednesday and Saints.

So maybe it is done and we are waiting for the club to officially announce the signing

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

One thing I did feel was quite bonkers was the huge wage increase he was (apparently) offered by Celtic. He was on £600 a week at Motherwell. Celtic offered £12,000 a week and he still didn't take it as he wants more and his agent felt they could get it in England...

I know that Webber and Farke look into players characters but I’m a bit bothered by this. 

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I know that Webber and Farke look into players characters but I’m a bit bothered by this. 

Really? We should only sign players who aren’t ambitious?

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Some fans seem to think players trying to maximise their value is makes you a bad person.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Some fans seem to think players trying to maximise their value is makes you a bad person.

A player on £600 turns down £12k because he wants £20k . What you two describe as ambitious and maximising their value could be called being greedy and big headed

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

A player on £600 turns down £12k because he wants £20k . What you two describe as ambitious and maximising their value could be called being greedy and big headed

Webber's been quoted of being careful not to upset the wage packet balance in the dressing room. Can't see the lad coming in throwing his wage demands around whatsoever. Those two can seemingly smell a BSr at a thousand yards.

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Whether he's on £600 is kind of irrelevant to be honest.

If he's looking around and seeing players with a similar background to himself on £15-20k then why shouldn't he try and match it? Maddison for example is probably on well over that figure.

I'd be very surprised we're offering anywhere near £20k a week for a 19 year old. 

I suspect only a handful of our current squad will be on that or more - I'm guessing Klose, Krul, Hanley. Maybe Oliveira still.

4 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I'd be very surprised we're offering anywhere near £20k a week for a 19 year old. 

I suspect only a handful of our current squad will be on that or more - I'm guessing Klose, Krul, Hanley. Maybe Oliveira still.

£20k is below average for a Premier League squad player. I’d imagine Vrancic, Leitner, Stiepermann among others are on about that. 

4 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I would be surprised if Klose isn't on something more like 30 or 40k! Or at least had been. He was signed for quite a lot of money and in the times when we were giving out silly contracts!

I'd also wager that a number of our rising stars are also on good money now after signing the new contracts. The youth players don't get a huge amount as a rule so they've proven their worth and now they get rewarded.

I would say that with Turnbull, he'll be on around 13-15k if we can get it done. I am not surprised that he wasn't on a huge amount at Motherwell, but he obviously feels he's worth more. Celtic agreed and I reckon we agree too.

From the reporting of it if City land this kid then it could well be yet another NCFC coup in the transfer market.

They do not always come off, remember McGrandles, but it's a risk worthy taking it seems.

Paper talk, rumours etc. and all about demands and expectations do not come into the debate as I see it. They are just rumours after all. The decision of Webber/Farke counts.

Hope we land him, even though I'm beginning to lose track of all these superstar youngsters that are supposed to cement the future of the club into the next millennium.

The next thing I want to read about is the signing of that second striker . 

43 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Big headed isn't necessarily a bad thing at that age, you look at the stories surrounding Maddison when he was that age (and going back a bit younger) he was supposedly an arrogant tw**. And now could be considered not only (one of?) the most promising english youth in the premier league, but a genuine person too. If he can back up his belief w progress and he grows as a person to boot, this £3m+20k/week will be peanuts in the long term.

And not to mention if we get relegated, this regime is likely to have a clause getting that 20k reduced to reasonable size 

Edited by Redders Right Foot
Too many 'and's

Back on the topic of double barrelled names, what about Jean-Yves de BLASIIS not only double barrelled but also nobility....

On 19/06/2019 at 11:11, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's quite refreshing to see Norwich using the same transfer policy that I've been using on Football Manager for over a decade. Stuart Webber has probably clocked up some serious game time on that as well.

What’s your strategy? I just see which players are wanted by the big sides from England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France, then try and beat them to the signing. 

£600 a week to £12k a week is less than a £12k a week pay rise. Sounds ridiculous but a £12k a week pay rise is a pretty small one in premier league world! 

5 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

One thing I did feel was quite bonkers was the huge wage increase he was (apparently) offered by Celtic. He was on £600 a week at Motherwell. Celtic offered £12,000 a week and he still didn't take it as he wants more and his agent felt they could get it in England...

maybe he has been offered more with us and the chance to play against the worlds best players week in week out instead of Roath Ravers and co.

35 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

What’s your strategy? I just see which players are wanted by the big sides from England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France, then try and beat them to the signing. 

Young unknowns with star potential at low prices. They used to be quite easy to find and acquire, but the game is a bit more realistic now.

12 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

maybe he has been offered more with us and the chance to play against the worlds best players week in week out instead of Roath Ravers and co.

Seems that we may have been used as a bit of a bargaining chip now, hey?

I can understand the desire to play for a side like Celtic, after all they'll win regularly in that league, probably come top and have European football to look forward to. But surely playing against the best players week in, week out would be more of a lure? Perhaps not... perhaps he wants to stay close to home... perhaps he's concerned we'll get tonked every week. Who knows??

The whole Turnbull ‘saga’ as if seen it called, isn’t hugely different to many transfers - just this one was played out in the open. 

Players will often speak to more than one club before choosing a destination. 

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The whole Turnbull ‘saga’ as if seen it called, isn’t hugely different to many transfers - just this one was played out in the open. 

Players will often speak to more than one club before choosing a destination. 

It’s unusual for us to be involved in these more public discussions, to be honest as far as I’m concerned it’s best kept under wraps until there is something concrete. I would image that Webber is not to happy with the way this has been done, seemingly in the public domain.

Just watched some YouTube videos of Krovinovic, strong on the ball, pace, good with both feet.

Loan suggestion, seems a good approach for a guy wanting to break into the national team.

25 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It’s unusual for us to be involved in these more public discussions, to be honest as far as I’m concerned it’s best kept under wraps until there is something concrete. I would image that Webber is not to happy with the way this has been done, seemingly in the public domain.

Smells of an agent wanting Celtic to come back with a better offer. 

This is not the kind of player we want, if he wants to play in a mickey mouse league where he can win a medal every season because they only have 2 or 3 tough games a year then he's not the kind of player we want or need. 

Come here because your want to, of course negotiate yourself a good wage but any player/agent who wants to use us to get the move he wants is not for me. 

• Like 3

I would imagine that the biggest stumbling block to signing any potential players who have experienced any degree of success in their footballing career is their desire for regular first team places.Turnbull,although only 19 seems to have a fairly high opinion of himself and would probably expect that to be the case.We seem to have an abundance of capable and proven midfield players so that may be the overriding reason for his apparent u-turn.

The main thing I have taken from this Turnbull thing is how the Pinkun journos seem to have been misled, unless they are right and everyone else wrong.  

On Wednesday afternoon, when the lad was rumoured to be having talks/at the club, they claimed he hadn’t been down here at all.  Their story (posted Weds at c4pm/updated yesterday) includes:

City are interested in the attacking midfielder but no talks have taken place with Turnbull”

and

“Turnbull was reportedly absent on Wednesday as the rest of Motherwell's squad returned for pre-season training. But speculation he was in Norwich to agree personal terms and undergo a medical are wide of the mark.”

It’s possible he didn’t have a medical, but we now know he was in fact having discussions - at least at some point - and it seems must have been down to the City, as now it’s:

"David was blown away by the people at Norwich, by what they had to offer and by the pathway they have for their young players.  They made him feel really welcome”.

I just found this rather interesting - perhaps our local journos do t know a great deal after all?

Some we will get some we will miss out on. Let's not get over excited about it.

• Like 1

The Daily Record and Scottish Sun both reported that Norwich had agreed terms with Turnbull at one point, while the PinkUn was much more cautious. The local press seems the most accurate at so far. 

I suspect it is a case of Celtic coming in with a new offer on Thursday and completely changing the situation from Wednesday. 

It is an unknown if he ever came to Norwich, or just spoke to people on the phone - or even spoke to anyone personally. 

Read the articles, Bethnal - there’s cautious, which is fine, and there’s plain wrong. If you’re going to state that no discussions have taken place, it ought to be correct.

It may be that he never came down, but now the quotes are how welcome he was made to feel (and liked the pitch, which is an odd one).  That doesn’t fit. 

Edited by Branston Pickle