Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

Suspect it will be immaterial in any case. Unconvinced United will spend good money - even £25m - on Max at this stage. They want an immediate solution and I’m not sure Max is 100% that for them on paper yet. Very easy for players with great potential to get career-lost in such a scenario.

One good year performing in the Premiership however and he may well be worth it and more. Plus - importantly from his point of view - he could then reasonably expect to be purchased as a 1st choice. 

United would not be concerned in such a scenario at the price going up as a consequence. At that point all win and it is a case of well-remunerated natural progression.

Parma 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I am beyond underwhelmed. Patrick Roberts, Daniel Adshead, David Turnbull, Charlie Gilmour? These are all very boring names. Ditto Vincent Thill. What is the point of signing a Luxembourger if they don't have a suitably weird moniker?

And ditto Josip Drmic. Totally commonplace and almost pronounceable by Swiss-Croatian standards. Pretty much the same with Marvin Bakalorz, although anything with a "z" in it has a touch of the exotic.

I got briefly excited when it looked as if we might sign our first ever double-barrelled player, but it seems Alexis Claude-Maurice is off to Arsenal.

The sooner the commercial department has a serious word with Webber about the need to boost shirt sales the better.  All this emphasis on prioritisng players purely on their football ability is missing a vital point.

I’m not sure that Owain Tudur Jones has a hyphen? But if he did - that’s about £20 on a shirt - and even more at scrabble. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

2 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Can anyone beat Matthieu Louis-Jean ? Assuming Dennis van Wijk doesn't count

How about Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink? Got to be the coolest name in football 

2 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Can anyone beat Matthieu Louis-Jean ? Assuming Dennis van Wijk doesn't count

6 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I agree Robfleck. And whilst fans are happy at present, still basking in the glow of victory... a few thumpings would quickly turn the tables and questions would then be asked of recruitment policy. Still plenty of time to go but I too am concerned that this is a very unforgiving league of those who fail to prepare for it.

Are you speaking on behalf of all fans? If we got a few thumpings in the prem i'm not so short-sighted as to immediately question a recruitment policy which quite clearly has had a whole year minimum of working fantastically well for us.

• Like 2

Gone are the days with names like Ian Ure.

We did have Woodthorpe, Culverhouse and Butterworth at one time. David Baddiel said we sounded like a Dickens novel.

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Suspect it will be immaterial in any case. Unconvinced United will spend good money - even £25m - on Max at this stage. They want an immediate solution and I’m not sure Max is 100% that for them on paper yet. Very easy for players with great potential to get career-lost in such a scenario.

One good year performing in the Premiership however and he may well be worth it and more. Plus - importantly from his point of view - he could then reasonably expect to be purchased as a 1st choice. 

United would not be concerned in such a scenario at the price going up as a consequence. At that point all win and it is a case of well-remunerated natural progression.

Parma 

I think that's about the jist of it. Unless our youth are forcing their way out, if the club has faith they will perform in the prem, we must keep them for at least this season. You look at Maddison, worth £25m after one championship season, and now if he went for the reported £60m, no one would bat an eye. If the belief in talent is there - the smart option is gambling on raising the value upwards of 100%.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Are you speaking on behalf of all fans? If we got a few thumpings in the prem i'm not so short-sighted as to immediately question a recruitment policy which quite clearly has had a whole year minimum of working fantastically well for us.

I have to agree with you Hog, I wouldn't turn on my team in case we got thumped. But I am worried , don't be naive , the PL is an unforgiving league! I reckon we need a few gooduns in , only a few , but they need to be up to it...agreed?

• Like 1

Anyway, Always a good practice to take sky sports "news" links with big hesitation, after all their main goal is likely to incite punters to place some wagers on their betting side.

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

We did have Woodthorpe, Culverhouse and Butterworth at one time. David Baddiel said we sounded like a Dickens novel.

My Blades friends used to call us The Solicitors in the early 90's with the multi syllable surnames our defence had.

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

There was a time when we had enough Bennetts for a Jane Austen novel...😎

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

There was a time when we had enough Bennetts for a Jane Austen novel...😎

I remember when we played Villa and had Elliott Bennett Infront of Ryan Bennet being kept out by Joe Bennett at left back for Villa.

• Like 1

Sounds like Webber's been on the phone to the Pinkun to cool the Turnbull talk. Probably to the strengthen the negotiating position and protect him from looking stupid if we either get gazumped, or Turnbull gets a more reliable offer of first team football elsewhere.

I was a bit worried about the Turnbull rumour last night. The rest of our business recently has been done pretty much entirely under wraps.

The fact the papers were staying he was "On his way tomorrow morning" and were quoting the exact fee absolutely stunk of agent talk. Celtic were tweeting about their 'magnificent' offer too.

I have no doubt we are interested, but I'm concerned we might be being used to tempt either a better offer from Celtic or another premier league team.

Looks a great player though - hopefully Webber gets him through the door asap!

3 hours ago, Ramrod said:

Buy Turnbull then loan swap him for Rhodes for half a season. 

Buy Turnbull, get Mario to sign a two year deal, then send Turnbull out to a Derby or Leeds. 

27 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Buy Turnbull, get Mario to sign a two year deal, then send Turnbull out to a Derby or Leeds. 

If its no longer FLDC they will be no use to us for developing our youth. Without Lampards tactical genius they're certs for relegation 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think Dickens wrote something about the relative performance of East Anglian teams last season.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I think, if we are buying Turnbull for the kind of money reported, then loaning him out to the Championship would be the last thing we'd do! He'll get into the squad, after a bedding in period, as with a number of our signings. Looks a very good player and his goal/assist return from an attacking midfield position last season was pretty decent.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I think, if we are buying Turnbull for the kind of money reported, then loaning him out to the Championship would be the last thing we'd do!

We spent about the same on Madison and then sent him on loan to Scotland. 

37 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

We spent about the same on Madison and then sent him on loan to Scotland. 

Different regime, completely different philosophy back then.

2 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

I think, if we are buying Turnbull for the kind of money reported, then loaning him out to the Championship would be the last thing we'd do! He'll get into the squad, after a bedding in period, as with a number of our signings. Looks a very good player and his goal/assist return from an attacking midfield position last season was pretty decent.

I agree with this  ,  I don't think we would be spending that kind of money ( nearly a quarter of our budget) on a player , to send him out on loan tbh. He could be a good squad player to have ... but not more than that initially , will need some time to adapt...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Redders Right Foot said:

If its no longer FLDC they will be no use to us for developing our youth. Without Lampards tactical genius they're certs for relegation 

and don't forget Matt Gill

the man who thought buying a Sinclair C5 was a good idea, it would seem

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

and don't forget Matt Gill

the man who thought buying a Sinclair C5 was a good idea, it would seem

What? You mean it’s not a good idea? 😱

3 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Indeed, we spent less than that on Buendia (initially).  Don't want to raise expectations, but I can't see him not being involved in the first team squad (apologies for the double negative!).  From the Youtube clip, he looks a really promising young player.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I think Dickens wrote something about the relative performance of East Anglian teams last season.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way..."

Ah yes - that classic Dickens novel - A Tale of One City and One Town. 

• Like 2

If reports are to be believed, there may be interest from other clubs and he is looking at his position in regard to pecking order, how much game time etc.

It could be agents trying to get the best deal but I do wonder how he may fit into our team if the move does go ahead but after a longer drawn out process in securing personal terms.

Wages have been mentioned and again that may be an issue with current players and future signings.

All in all it is an interesting pursuit which moved quickly after Celtic dropped out, so there must be some very keen interest.

2 minutes ago, smooth said:

If reports are to be believed, there may be interest from other clubs and he is looking at his position in regard to pecking order, how much game time etc.

It could be agents trying to get the best deal but I do wonder how he may fit into our team if the move does go ahead but after a longer drawn out process in securing personal terms.

Wages have been mentioned and again that may be an issue with current players and future signings.

All in all it is an interesting pursuit which moved quickly after Celtic dropped out, so there must be some very keen interest.

One thing I did feel was quite bonkers was the huge wage increase he was (apparently) offered by Celtic. He was on £600 a week at Motherwell. Celtic offered £12,000 a week and he still didn't take it as he wants more and his agent felt they could get it in England...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smooth said:

Turnbull has the same agent as Jamal Lewis and Grant Hanley. I imagine there has been a good dialogue between the club and agent for a while. I’m sure Norwich had expressed interest before Celtic pulled out - it seems that he pulled out of that deal due to firm interest from Norwich.

I think talk of other clubs like Southampton and Sheff W is to try and exercise as much out of Norwich as possible. Those in the know Scotland say it is pretty much guaranteed he’ll go there. 

I don’t see why a drawn out process would effect how he fits into the squad - I also wouldn’t consider the process to be ‘drawn out’ so far.