Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

1 hour ago, smooth said:

If the signing goes through as reported, it will be interesting to see what he says about his tweet in the playoff final saying 'come on Norwich' when we beat boro

A young man with very good taste.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/david-turnbull-forgotten-norwich-city-16540288

0_Screen-Shot-2019-06-18-at-224700.png

But the 15-goal star has previous with the Canaries. In a rediscovered Tweet, Turnbull professed his love for Norwich back in 2015.

Turnbull posted on Twitter: "C'mon Norwich."

1 hour ago, unique said:

Southampton had shown interest in him and Man City have kept close tabs on him for quite a while. I don’t think the current regime will be gambling millions on a young player without extensive homework.

I’d prefer these sort of signings after being burned by the Naismith’s and V.Wolfwinkel’s of this world.

Yeh so do I. For me watching these young guys come in and, hopefully, succeed, at least watching them develop, is now part of the magic of being a City supporter.

1 minute ago, Fuzzar said:

Think all the Aarons talk is largely Man U trying to scare Palace and AWB into some action.  

Ultimately though, if they offer something like £25m for Aarons then Norwich should take it. 

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Think all the Aarons talk is largely Man U trying to scare Palace and AWB into some action.  

Ultimately though, if they offer something like £25m for Aarons then Norwich should take it. 

As I posted on another thread, Wan-Bissaka had an absolute mare for the U21s last night - maybe United realise that Aarons is better.....

3 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

A little worried if we're spending that kind of money on a Motherwell player...  I guess it depends on how the deal is structured - 3.5m up front sounds an awful lot for a young player untested at genuinely high level; but if that's the total value of the deal including achievement bonus payments, add-on clauses etc then it could be realistic.  My worry is with the low standard of opposition he's faced so far - Aside from Celtic and to some extent now Rangers, SPL clubs are league 2 standard at best. If anyone suggested we spend 3.5m of our limited budget on a League 2 player, there would be outrage on here. McClean has made the step up really well but we've also signed the likes of Conor McGrandles, Tony Andreu or Julien Brellier before, supposedly players who had done wonders north of the border but turned out to be as much use as a sack of spuds against decent opposition...

Jeez - you do realise that James Maddison was 'untested at a genuinely high level' when we signed him don't you?

• Like 1

"A little worried if we're spending that kind of money on a Motherwell player...  I guess it depends on how the deal is structured - 3.5m up front sounds an awful lot for a young player untested at genuinely high level ...."

Sound point, but I think in this case the bar was set by Celtic who had had an eye on the kid for some time and, apparently, thought him worth a £3m investment ... they should know the scene up there after all.

I like this policy of sweeping up decent prospects from far and wide. It doesn't always come off, the Dartford youngster and Connor McGrandles are just two examples of those not making it.

Like this boy, McGrandles was supposed to be the best thing to come out of Scotland since the Krankies but he now plies his trade at MK Dons. He was however hampered by a serious leg break at one time I seem to remember and we might not have therefore heard the last of him.

The success stories would seem to outweigh the failures thus far though.

I cannot recall a time when I have seen the club being run so well ... from top to bottom, from boardroom to coach and all in between, every little detail seems beyond reproach.

I'm as fickle as the next supporter but right now I feel that my mindset will not alter should we fail next season.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Let’s not forget that the hierarchy are putting as much emphasis on ‘attitude’ as much as ability, and these players should be very pliable as far as Farke’s coaching and tactics are concerned.

I cannot remember a Norwich squad with such depth for scoring and assisting goals. Whilst chances will be far fewer in the PL, it is good to know we have plenty of players that have a fighting chance of making and converting them.

I’m not sure Huddersfield or Cardiff could make the same claim last season.

Well, going off the interest from bigger clubs and a decent record in the SPL 3 million seems probably about right. All signings are a gamble, for every Pukki there is a Wolf, for every Mclean there is a Naismith. 3 million isn't a 10 or 12 million sized gamble and so far we have spent 300,000 and given out some larger contracts? I think the biggest thing, especially after the last two seasons which saw the arrival of Vrancic, Steiperman, Lietner, Buendia, Mclean, Pukki, Hernandez, Krul etc... I just trust them so much more to get it right. Not every time, but more times than not. 

Edited by birchfest
  • Like 3

We are building a great group with young players that back up our group of high achievers. We have not had a chain of internal progression for a while and hopefully we are building that with new additions.

Roberts has the ability to challenge some of our most gifted players and Turnbull looks like a smaller Marco. Both would be home grown players and with the possibility of still a few players from overseas, thill and da Costa we would have technically gifted players with a good upside.

That is what we now are bringing in, players who have big upside rather than those that may have achieved it. However to keep those players level we saw the influence of Krul, Pinto on Aaron's, klose, Rhodes, Zimmerman in keeping the group focussed. Therefore if the offer to the German defensive midfielder is on the table, I am sure he can offer that influence (as checked by DF) but he needs to be commanding on the field.

It is that critical area of the pitch that we have been lacking in for many, many years.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

We can get more than that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think so too . It wouldn't be a good move for Max' career imho... He knows he will be playing at Norwich City and warming a bench at ManUre...but money talks and they've got it

Edited by ROBFLECK

I am beyond underwhelmed. Patrick Roberts, Daniel Adshead, David Turnbull, Charlie Gilmour? These are all very boring names. Ditto Vincent Thill. What is the point of signing a Luxembourger if they don't have a suitably weird moniker?

And ditto Josip Drmic. Totally commonplace and almost pronounceable by Swiss-Croatian standards. Pretty much the same with Marvin Bakalorz, although anything with a "z" in it has a touch of the exotic.

I got briefly excited when it looked as if we might sign our first ever double-barrelled player, but it seems Alexis Claude-Maurice is off to Arsenal.

The sooner the commercial department has a serious word with Webber about the need to boost shirt sales the better.  All this emphasis on prioritisng players purely on their football ability is missing a vital point.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I am beyond underwhelmed. Patrick Roberts, Daniel Adshead, David Turnbull, Charlie Gilmour? These are all very boring names. Ditto Vincent Thill. What is the point of signing a Luxembourger if they don't have a suitably weird moniker?

And ditto Josip Drmic. Totally commonplace and almost pronounceable by Swiss-Croatian standards. Pretty much the same with Marvin Bakalorz, although anything with a "z" in it has a touch of the exotic.

I got briefly excited when it looked as if we might sign our first ever double-barrelled player, but it seems Alexis Claude-Maurice is off to Arsenal.

The sooner the commercial department has a serious word with Webber about the need to boost shirt sales the better.  All this emphasis on prioritisng players purely on their football ability is missing a vital point.

Are you basing your double-barrelled theory on Van Wolfswinkel Purple?

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I wouldn’t imagine so, not this summer. 

There is a gamble to be made on Max. Norwich could sell now for somewhere in the £20m - £25m region and use the money to invest across the squad and increase the chance of survival. It would mean signing a new right back, so once that is factored in they’d probably have £15m - £20m left. 

If Norwich go down, Aarons’ value will probably fall by around. £10m - assuming he hasn’t had personally outstanding or terrible season. (Ryan Sessengon went from being a £30m player to a £20m one when Fulham got relegated). 

Should Norwich stay up and Aarons isn’t terrible, the you’d be looking at somewhere between £30m - £50m - the top end only being possible if he is stand out excellent like AWB has been. 

Off the back of one very good season at Championship level, I can’t see anyone going north of £25m for a right back - even if he is English. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

Agreed. If Man Utd genuinely offered £50m for Wan-Bissaka and it was turned down, then Utd have themselves set the bar at that level. £30m minimum for Aarons.

30 minutes ago, smooth said:

Roberts has the ability to challenge some of our most gifted players and Turnbull looks like a smaller Marco. Both would be home grown players 

Turnbull wouldn't be homegrown.

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Can anyone beat Matthieu Louis-Jean ? Assuming Dennis van Wijk doesn't count

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I wouldn’t imagine so, not this summer. 

There is a gamble to be made on Max. Norwich could sell now for somewhere in the £20m - £25m region and use the money to invest across the squad and increase the chance of survival. It would mean signing a new right back, so once that is factored in they’d probably have £15m - £20m left. 

If Norwich go down, Aarons’ value will probably fall by around. £10m - assuming he hasn’t had personally outstanding or terrible season. (Ryan Sessengon went from being a £30m player to a £20m one when Fulham got relegated). 

Should Norwich stay up and Aarons isn’t terrible, the you’d be looking at somewhere between £30m - £50m - the top end only being possible if he is stand out excellent like AWB has been. 

Off the back of one very good season at Championship level, I can’t see anyone going north of £25m for a right back - even if he is English. 

Gamble worth taking in my view.

Sessengon's stock fell as he didn't have a very good season- spent large chunks on the bench and didn't exactly take the league by storm but they'll still get a fair chunk for him.

We don't need £20-25m right now. I'd hold out for a 'crazy' bid (£30m upwards) and take the risk we might only get £20m next season.

• Like 1

Why do we think Man U would pay more for Aarons than they reportedly did for James from Swansea? Not that I think we'd sell anyway.

Just now, Fuzzar said:

Why do we think Man U would pay more for Aarons than they reportedly did for James from Swansea? Not that I think we'd sell anyway.

Because we're in the Premier League, have less need to sell and Aarons has much longer contract than James did.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Gamble worth taking in my view.

Sessengon's stock fell as he didn't have a very good season- spent large chunks on the bench and didn't exactly take the league by storm but they'll still get a fair chunk for him.

We don't need £20-25m right now. I'd hold out for a 'crazy' bid (£30m upwards) and take the risk we might only get £20m next season.

Sessengon played in all but 1 Fulham game - 26 starts. 

I’d argue that Norwich do need £25m now, maybe even more than they need a 19 year old right back who is great, but most of his value is tied up in potential. 

If Norwich are genuinely looking at players like Bakalorz, keeping Krul as first choice and having Rhodes as 2nd choice striker; then I’d definitely welcome some extra cash to fill some of the squad holes. 

23 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Are you basing your double-barrelled theory on Van Wolfswinkel Purple?

I never based anything (certainly not my hopes) on van Wolfswinkel! But i confess I had forgotten about Mathieu Louis-Jean's two appearances...

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I’d argue that Norwich do need £25m now, maybe even more than they need a 19 year old right back who is great, but most of his value is tied up in potential. 

If Norwich are genuinely looking at players like Bakalorz, keeping Krul as first choice and having Rhodes as 2nd choice striker; then I’d definitely welcome some extra cash to fill some of the squad holes. 

I personally think Krul will do very well next season... Yet I can understand what you're getting at. At 25m we will need to have a look and contemplate selling our starlet in favour of adding potential quality to our squad... I would be in favour of keeping our starlet , as he is one of the reasons we got promoted... Bakalorz or many of the rumours don't fill me with confidence tbh...but neither did some of last years signings and they turned out to be great eg. Pukki

Edited by ROBFLECK

Breaking up the squad now, whatever the incentive, would be wrong. It would demoralise the squad, the coaching staff and the supporters as well as being an admission that we do not deserve to be up there way before that matter is resolved. 

What an absolute kick in the **** to all concerned with our fabulous performances last season. "Lil ol Norwich" exemplified to the full.

Of course we all know that we will eventually have to give way to the inevitable, but not prematurely for goodness sake and even before our assets are fully realised.

I prefer to cling to Webber's statement that we do not need to sell, and would hope that he does as well.

Deary me! We've only just got back up there yet we are supposed to accept defeat already. I cannot for the life of me see why we should really need the money to strengthen what we have considering the promised riches in the pipeline along with the DoF's emphatic statement.

If Man U.or any other of the big boys want to seriously undermine our prospects for next season, and hence for seasons to come, then they should be made to pay through the nose, reasonable or not. They are the aggressors after all.

We are a team with a capital 'T.'  They are a collection of superstars. We are as familiar with our strengths as they are with their bank balance. Preserve the strengths.

Edited by BroadstairsR

28 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I never based anything (certainly not my hopes) on van Wolfswinkel! But i confess I had forgotten about Mathieu Louis-Jean's two appearances...

It's almost like Troy Archibald-Henville never happened.

Oh, hang on, he didn't.

34 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I just don't see it- we're clearly playing with one of the smallest budgets in the league and I think  we're prepared to accept relegation if it happens. 

Also if we're a newly promoted side operating on a 'sell to buy' model then something is badly wrong.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Breaking up the squad now, whatever the incentive, would be wrong. It would demoralise the squad, the coaching staff and the supporters as well as being an admission that we do not deserve to be up there way before that matter is resolved. 

What an absolute kick in the **** to all concerned with our fabulous performances last season. "Lil ol Norwich" exemplified to the full.

Of course we all know that we will eventually have to give way to the inevitable, but not prematurely for goodness sake and even before our assets are fully realised.

I prefer to cling to Webber's statement that we do not need to sell, and would hope that he does as well.

Deary me! We've only just got back up there yet we are supposed to accept defeat already. I cannot for the life of me see why we should really need the money to strengthen what we have considering the promised riches in the pipeline along with the DoF's emphatic statement.

If Man U.or any other of the big boys want to seriously undermine our prospects for next season, and hence for seasons to come, then they should be made to pay through the nose, reasonable or not. They are the aggressors after all.

I guess a lot depends on what Aarons and his agent are saying. If Aarons wants to go to United then both clubs will know that, and it's in everyone's best interests to broker a deal.

If Aarons wants to stay, I'd rather keep him and go with the squad we have plus astute acquisitions of the kind we're making now. Rather that than have an extra £20m to spend on players, which will in turn mean that prices and wages will go up because players and clubs will know we have the money to invest.

Keep the youngsters wherever possible, in my opinion.

55 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Can anyone beat Matthieu Louis-Jean ? Assuming Dennis van Wijk doesn't count

Troy Archibald-Henville?