Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Norwich stocking up on midfielders again. 

15 goals in 30 games last season, i know its SPL but they'd be very attractive stats from a Championship midfielder.

29 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Maybe someone is moving on? would we spend that kind of money on a back up player?

Could be Vrancic?  As others have commented perhaps he won't sign as Webber can't guarantee 3 years at EPL rates?  

30 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Planning ahead.

What, for the Championship? We’ll get about two all season.

£3m isn't too much and at 19 years old he isn't going to be expecting to walk into a prem side.

Would like to think he will challenge Stiepermann, supposedly has the physicality to be an awkward number 10. Been compared to Michael Ballack in some write up of him.

Very, very smart piece of business in my book. Even if we go down next season we will have a 20 year old very promising player on our books who looks like he would rip the championship apart. Hopefully he can go one better and rip the prem apart but for £3m this is excellent business. Even if it all goes **** up, £3m is barely even a gamble with the money we have earnt.

• Like 1

Hmm. £3 million plus wages north of £10K for three years - allegedly what Celtic offered but he turned down - is about a quarter of our £20 million pot. I know Webber was probably low-balling what we’d spend, but compared to what we’ve paid for most of our squad it seems high. The famous Premier League tax perhaps?

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

What, for the Championship? We’ll get about two all season.

Different ball game with VAR - massively beneficial to the smaller clubs

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Hmm. £3 million plus wages north of £10K for three years - allegedly what Celtic offered but he turned down - is about a quarter of our £20 million pot. I know Webber was probably low-balling what we’d spend, but compared to what we’ve paid for most of our squad it seems high. The famous Premier League tax perhaps?

,We have been granted an exemption from the PLT because we aren't playing the same money game as most other clubs. We're playing the opportunity and development game. 

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I don't think anyone outside the club knows what the true spend figure is. But if, say, it us 20m, then that calculation is probably the new transfer fees and the new wages for the season,  rather than the wages for the whole of a three-year contract.

This £20m figure is probably a load of rubbish anyway.

It's different spending £3.5m on a 19 year old to the same on a 29 year old anyway when you think of the resale potential.

Almost certainly is. Webber said we'll have the smallest budget in the league but one would assume that means fees+wages for the entire squad.

We could probably spend 30 or 40 million on fees and still have the smallest budget in the league.

I swear Pinkun journos are constantly repeating that 20m budget as a form of brainwashing.

Yet more excellent business. Young, hungry and plenty to prove.

A good gauge is usually the views of his current club. Not a bad word to be found.

The best player to come out of Motherwell for fifty years, according to one. Sixty years, according to another.

Good to see NCFC approaching the PL with a refreshingly different plan.

Loving the reaction of Celtic fans too, it's all about the money. lol

Granted this is probably the same fans that have been telling us how **** Pukki is all year.

A little worried if we're spending that kind of money on a Motherwell player...  I guess it depends on how the deal is structured - 3.5m up front sounds an awful lot for a young player untested at genuinely high level; but if that's the total value of the deal including achievement bonus payments, add-on clauses etc then it could be realistic.  My worry is with the low standard of opposition he's faced so far - Aside from Celtic and to some extent now Rangers, SPL clubs are league 2 standard at best. If anyone suggested we spend 3.5m of our limited budget on a League 2 player, there would be outrage on here. McClean has made the step up really well but we've also signed the likes of Conor McGrandles, Tony Andreu or Julien Brellier before, supposedly players who had done wonders north of the border but turned out to be as much use as a sack of spuds against decent opposition...

• Like 1

If the signing goes through as reported, it will be interesting to see what he says about his tweet in the playoff final saying 'come on Norwich' when we beat boro

Southampton had shown interest in him and Man City have kept close tabs on him for quite a while. I don’t think the current regime will be gambling millions on a young player without extensive homework.

I’d prefer these sort of signings after being burned by the Naismith’s and V.Wolfwinkel’s of this world.

• Like 2

Seems to be a player to push Marco in that number 10 position. Direct, ability with both feet.

I think with better players around him he can become more polished but I see a lot of similarities with Marco

Slightly underwhelmed with our business so far tbh... No use in starting any doom mongering yet , but I am asking myself if we have improved enough to take on the PL? We can't or we will not splash out , that's clear ... but we need some quality at DM, I presume we all agree on that. Our defence was leaky compared to other defences in the top six of the EFL Championship , so it needs looking at as we are facing Salah, Aguero, Kane , etc... next season. 
Turnbull ...doesn't look a bad player at SPL level , but EPL might be a bit too steep a step up for the moment.

I agree Robfleck. And whilst fans are happy at present, still basking in the glow of victory... a few thumpings would quickly turn the tables and questions would then be asked of recruitment policy. Still plenty of time to go but I too am concerned that this is a very unforgiving league of those who fail to prepare for it.

Lets all agree that spending huge sums for the sake of it, and threatening the clubs future and disrupting the harmony of the present squad would be crazy. But at the other end of the spectrum is an over cautious approach in which no risk is taken to secure a future at the top and the side isn't strengthened at all. Its got to be about balancing risk and caution and, at the moment, we don't seem to be taking any risks whatsoever nor strengthening on what we had last year. And that is what concerns me. 

Bottom line. The players who would be a step up from what we have are going to cost. We are in the big boys league now and if you could stay up by spending peanuts others would have done it. Huddersfield approach has ended back in the champs and that is where we will be heading if our squad isn't upgraded. As you rightly note our defensive record wasn't brilliant against champ sides- and world class strikers will rip them to shreds I fear.

5 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Slightly underwhelmed with our business so far tbh... No use in starting any doom mongering yet , but I am asking myself if we have improved enough to take on the PL? We can't or we will not splash out , that's clear ... but we need some quality at DM, I presume we all agree on that. Our defence was leaky compared to other defences in the top six of the EFL Championship , so it needs looking at as we are facing Salah, Aguero, Kane , etc... next season. 
Turnbull ...doesn't look a bad player at SPL level , but EPL might be a bit too steep a step up for the moment.

Doesnt seem to stop young uns like Foden and Maddison making their mark. I really think clubs are waking up to the fact that youth is the future. The game will surely implode if extortionate transfer fees keep getting paid for average footballers. This kid has played in the SPL. Yes not brilliant standard but he has stood out...at 19. I am not panicking. We have barely spent £4m on Roberts,  Adshead and Turnbull. Plenty more to come in a forward and defensive midfielder. If they are young uns too.... c'est la vie. We will still be a sustainable club for years to come.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't think anyone outside the club knows what the true spend figure is. But if, say, it us 20m, then that calculation is probably the new transfer fees and the new wages for the season,  rather than the wages for the whole of a three-year contract.

Much my thoughts as we don't really know the 'ins and out's of any contract.

What we do know with almost certainty is that were we to be relegated after our first season we will receive around £70m the first year down, and around £30m if we remain in the CH. for the second season.

You don't need to be a genius to work out that it we commit the whole of this seasons money to a high wage bill, we are in the shee-ite if we are relegated, with a requirement to remove a large amount off the wage bill. That possibility should be uppermost in ALL fans thoughts when they comment on current transfer business.

The current modus operandi (its Welsh) is that we have a squad of players who have stepped up from a lower German league, our youth team or re-inigorated after perhaps losing their way a bit. This has allowed a very tight team spirit to develop. One where the players fought, bit , scratched and clawed their way (metaphorically) out of the Championship. The club will know if this player will fit in with that ethos - and also if can progress, as so many others have.

And if the reports are true then it merely underlines what Webber has said about having to wait until the 'price drops'. That we will be signing players on our terms, and not PL ready players with PL contracts who will quickly want to P off when things get a bit tough.

and if he doesn't work out then anyone with his name on the replica shirt can easily change it to Trybull

I’d have thought the best (only) time to judge our recruitment is when the window has slammed shut. Pointless doing it six weeks beforehand. 

Personally I don’t think you can sign too many good young players. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kick it off said:

Obligatory youtube montage

Seems to fit the mould with an ability to pick the ball up outside the box and give it a bit of 'wellie'.... goal !

And, ye gods, he can score penalties

No soft shoe shuffle, but true Alan Partridge .... bang......striker !

A natural striker of a football. Not as common a skill as you might think. Translates to any level. 

Such players are very useful from a deep 10 position with a slightly lower block than we have seen in the Championship. A useful strategic weapon. 

Parma

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

A natural striker of a football. Not as common a skill as you might think. Translates to any level. 

Such players are very useful from a deep 10 position with a slightly lower block than we have seen in the Championship. A useful strategic weapon. 

Parma

Or maybe, just outside the box

• Haha 1