Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

Presumably the Administrators would be looking to sell to an English club, as the article states the development fee would be £1m as opposed to £250k for a Scottish club.

11 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Presumably the Administrators would be looking to sell to an English club, as the article states the development fee would be £1m as opposed to £250k for a Scottish club.

They don’t have a say in the matter. It depends where the player agrees terms. Celtic will be able to give the £750k difference to the player, which is why they are favourites to sign him - along with a greater chance of him being able to play and Celtic being a big club. 

34 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

They don’t have a say in the matter. It depends where the player agrees terms. Celtic will be able to give the £750k difference to the player, which is why they are favourites to sign him - along with a greater chance of him being able to play and Celtic being a big club

Had to confess to a little snigger wheh I read that.  Champion's league counts for something, but if a player wants to develop, he is better off going to a club in a competitive league that has plenty of strong teams of quality players.  Money should not be the main focus for a young player and anyway, if he gets a job in any PL or upper championship team, he will be set for life financially (if he is sensible).

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Had to confess to a little snigger wheh I read that.  Champion's league counts for something, but if a player wants to develop, he is better off going to a club in a competitive league that has plenty of strong teams of quality players.  Money should not be the main focus for a young player and anyway, if he gets a job in any PL or upper championship team, he will be set for life financially (if he is sensible).

For an 18 year old, playing every week at Celtic would be a considerably better way of developing than Norwich U23s.

Celtic are a big club. They aren’t in a great league, but you only have to go to Celtic Park on a match day to realise how big they are. It would be a fantastic experience for most players, especially at a young age. 

Money will always be a focus, especially for a player who has yet to make much. It’s a bit of a cliche, but it is true, he could get a career altering ACL injury and then massively regret not taking the huge wad of cash available. Especially when it also means playing more football in a fantastic environment. There are obvious connections for Irish players also.

Playing at Celtic has helped a lot of players develop, including Pukki, and shouldn’t be sniffed at. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Playing at Celtic has helped a lot of players develop, including Pukki, and shouldn’t be sniffed at. 

Can agree with most of what you wrote, just think that Celtic live in a league that doesn't help them further afield and must affect their quality of football.

As for Pukki.....all he learned from being at Celtic (imo) is that he is not suited to kick and rush style frantic football.

Playing for Celtic hasn't done Virgil van Dijk much harm.

3 minutes ago, GJP said:

Playing for Celtic hasn't done Virgil van Dijk much harm.

He was happy enough to leave Celtic for Southampton though, a few champions League games and an almost guaranteed league title isn't much of a challenge for a player of real quality.

10 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Talking about southampton...they've just signed an exciting young player apparently (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48625047) ... anybody getting a bit nervous...? Mister Webber let's be avin' you 😉

I think we have probably learned from Southampton, in that they're a club who have an excellent record of developing youth players and selling them on for huge amounts of cash.

I'm not particulalrly worried about our lack of concrete signings thus far. I imagine there's plenty going on behind the scenes and, as with last season, most of the people we've been linked with probably weren't ever targets! We'll sign some players totally out of left field I reckon. None of us will be expecting it!

34 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Talking about southampton...they've just signed an exciting young player apparently (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48625047) ... anybody getting a bit nervous...? Mister Webber let's be avin' you 😉

This does show the difficulty of finding bargains at the top level.

This guy and the Villa striker have both not played at any level higher than the Belgian Premier League yet cost £14m and £20m respectively. 

25 minutes ago, king canary said:

This guy and the Villa striker have both not played at any level higher than the Belgian Premier League yet cost £14m and £20m respectively. 

£14m for Djenepo will look like a bargain by the end of the season I suspect. 

Lot of Champions’ League teams have looked at Wesley in the past. £22m seems steep, but suspect a lot of that is clause based. Don’t think he’s as good as Abraham is right now though. 

While it is still early days and I’m not worried that only one signing has been announced. I’m increasingly worried about how little money there is for Norwich to spend. Intrigued to see how Webber manages this window. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

£14m for Djenepo will look like a bargain by the end of the season I suspect. 

Lot of Champions’ League teams have looked at Wesley in the past. £22m seems steep, but suspect a lot of that is clause based. Don’t think he’s as good as Abraham is right now though. 

While it is still early days and I’m not worried that only one signing has been announced. I’m increasingly worried about how little money there is for Norwich to spend. Intrigued to see how Webber manages this window. 

They may turn out to be bargains but it shows that even to get a player from a smaller league you're going to be paying over £10m easily. I'm the same as you when it comes to the figures we're talking.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

They may turn out to be bargains but it shows that even to get a player from a smaller league you're going to be paying over £10m easily. I'm the same as you when it comes to the figures we're talking.

Definitely - the ‘Premier League Tax’ is a very real thing that clubs have to deal with. I was surprised that Webber acted surprised about it in his interview. 

Isak moving to Real Sociedad for less than €10m shows how different prices are for different leagues. 

I confess to being a little worried by the club's insistence that they won't spend. Whilst I am 100% behind letting last years team have a go at this level, our defensive record suggests they need a little help.  

I also understand that not blowing the budget makes a lot of sense economically but isn't it also true that you can't shop at championship prices in this division and do well? I am pretty sure that most teams who spend the least go down almost every single time. 

Last season we massively over performed and that left a smile on all of our faces. But a few thumpings and it will soon feel different. As it would with an injury to Pukki or Buendia. On the last few occasions we got to this level we left it too late to sign what was needed...please not again. I personally think we need a Prem quality Defensive midfielder- and that will cost. And also a decent striker. That too will cost. I will also stick my neck out and say we need another keeper to challenge Krul for the jersey...if not take it. And those three will not be found for small change. But they could make the difference between staying up and going down. 

Webber did comment that he expected it to take a bit longer to get players in this summer. Some because they'll be waiting for clubs to drop their prices and others because in form strikers are often the last to commit.

On 17/05/2019 at 22:40, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Not a massive fan of Bakalorz to be honest. He has the reputation as a bit of a clogger in Germany and was pretty awful for Hannover this season. 

He played with Vrancic in the same Paderborn side that was relegated from the Bundesliga a few years ago. In that season he came to notoriety for a horror challenge on Marco Reus that injured him for 5 months. Bakalorz was at Dortmund previously and Klopp was very unimpressed with him. 

Wonder if this was someone Norwich were more interested in had they not been promoted. Certainly don’t think he’d be good enough to be a starter in the Premier League and at 29 he is the wrong side of the age curve. 

The Bakalorz links have resurfaced tonight. I still don’t think he’s particularly good.

DCB and KS I was about to write a message earlier with exactly the same points.

DCB I agree, Webber mentioned players would be in early to get settled, have a full preseason. But I would like those key signings beginning to trickle in.

We have our left sided cover, we have our winger but that defensive midfielder is key. I agree that is where £££ is needed to be spent and also at the 2nd striker position.

I also believe the number 10 position needs competition. So I would rather see some serious movement soon.

2 weeks can slip by quickly and before you know it we will be in Germany and the season will be 4 weeks away.

If we wait too long, prices can go up and we can be more desperate.

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Also see Reals acquisition of Rodrygo. I'm a firm believer that Brazilians are born with a £1m transfer value that will either deplete to nothing or grow exponentially by the time they turn 6. 

32 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The Bakalorz links have resurfaced tonight. I still don’t think he’s particularly good.

Every transfer window I'm extremely thankful for twitters "Translate Tweet" option

On 13/06/2019 at 11:37, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Could be contingency planning in case Jamal is whisked away. 

I’d imagine Norwich are looking at a lot of players they don’t intend to sign this summer, it could be someone else at the Nigeria game they are looking at anyway. Especially as Collins would struggle to get a work permit. 

Not according to this Beth........

"Despite having only seven caps for the Super Eagles, Collins does not need a work permit to play in the Premier League as he acquired an EU passport after his marriage to a Croatian lady."

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=32523

On 14/06/2019 at 14:14, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Definitely - the ‘Premier League Tax’ is a very real thing that clubs have to deal with. I was surprised that Webber acted surprised about it in his interview. 

Isak moving to Real Sociedad for less than €10m shows how different prices are for different leagues. 

Maybe we need something similar to what I believe the Watford owners do, and have other clubs that we can use as a proxy?

Leeds worked as a feeder club before and they’d probably be glad to get some attention from a genuine big club.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Maybe we need something similar to what I believe the Watford owners do, and have other clubs that we can use as a proxy?

Some people don’t think that Delia has enough money to run one club-definitely don’t think she has enough to run three!

9 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Some people don’t think that Delia has enough money to run one club-definitely don’t think she has enough to run three!

Delia? I'd forgotten about her. She only ever seems to appear when we're losing.

• Like 3

Trying to get the worthwhile threads back on the front page rather than all that nonsense that has been posted. 

Also, the Sun have Norwich linked to Nuno da Costa. A Cape Verde international who plays for Strasbourg in Ligue 1. 

Can play out wide or as a striker, very quick and always puts in a shift. For £5m he’d be a very good back up option to Pukki as well as someone who could offer something different out wide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since City 1st missed the thread as it slid off the front page.

Not sure if it's been posted here, but TalkSport (based purely on betting odds) are saying we're most likely to sign Joe Hart. More likely to sign a flying pig.

4 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Not sure if it's been posted here, but TalkSport (based purely on betting odds) are saying we're most likely to sign Joe Hart. More likely to sign a flying pig.

Only to wash Farke's car 🚘

On 15/06/2019 at 21:18, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Trying to get the worthwhile threads back on the front page rather than all that nonsense that has been posted. 

Also, the Sun have Norwich linked to Nuno da Costa. A Cape Verde international who plays for Strasbourg in Ligue 1. 

Can play out wide or as a striker, very quick and always puts in a shift. For £5m he’d be a very good back up option to Pukki as well as someone who could offer something different out wide. 

Seriously Bethnal? You need to wake up and smell the coffee.