Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

Rhodes knows he wont have another chance to play in the Prem so surely he'd like the chance no matter if it's a sniff. He's regularly been touted as loving life at Norwich and as a good egg in the dressing room and about the place.

Weds also need to trim their wage bill and bloated squad.

If Teemu gets injured and we bring in a loanee striker from the bigger boys it might help the loanee to have some experience kicking around. So not a bad shout but I would want to see other business done at the top end of the pitch as well.

If it is someone like the French lad from Lorient who can play wide and as a striker, Rhodes and Pukki as Norwich’s three strikers that isn’t awful. 

Building a strike force is also tricky. They command the biggest fees and wages, so having good back up is difficult. You’d ideally want your ‘2nd choice’ striker to be first choice in another position, so his wages and the fee aren’t going to waste. 3rd choice strikers will rarely get many minutes and an experienced player there can be good as they are better at being able to hit the ground running should their chance arise. 

To survive next season Norwich will need a bit of luck, and the luck they could do with most is Pukki not being injured. Any promoted side that needs their 3rd choice striker for significant amount of game time is probably screwed. 

• Like 5

I think it is pretty clear we have a wage structure at the club that will not be broken, we also have an ethos and character requirements. If this doesn't allign then you won't be at NCFC.

Rhodes knows that, he also knows there are 6 strikers at Sheff Wednesday and it is unlikely he would play for them next season.

I think he may be in that place where he knows he will have some minutes And is in a squad, facility, area where he can enjoy his football.

It is an exciting journey and players rarely get them in a career. This is an exciting time that I think he recognises. I would think discussions will continue but if one thing doesn't add up it will be no hard feelings and move on.

Either way we would need that 2nd string striker as we need someone with the energy of pukki but with the ability to shoot from range. Something that is a little different to what we have in Rhodes and Pukki.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smooth said:

Either way we would need that 2nd string striker as we need someone with the energy of pukki but with the ability to shoot from range.

We already have a striker who can shoot from range. Unfortunately that’s all he ever does 😳

50 minutes ago, smooth said:

I think it is pretty clear we have a wage structure at the club that will not be broken, we also have an ethos and character requirements. If this doesn't allign then you won't be at NCFC.

Rhodes knows that, he also knows there are 6 strikers at Sheff Wednesday and it is unlikely he would play for them next season.

I think he may be in that place where he knows he will have some minutes And is in a squad, facility, area where he can enjoy his football.

It is an exciting journey and players rarely get them in a career. This is an exciting time that I think he recognises. I would think discussions will continue but if one thing doesn't add up it will be no hard feelings and move on.

Either way we would need that 2nd string striker as we need someone with the energy of pukki but with the ability to shoot from range. Something that is a little different to what we have in Rhodes and Pukki.

There is also a point with our transfer policy this summer that we have to at least half-assume we will get relegated. In that case, while Rhodes might be a third-choice striker next season (taking Bethnal's point that the Lorient player or someone similar might provide goals while not ostensibly being an out-and-out striker), he could easily be our second- or even first-choice striker back in the Championship. As such, if the finance can be worked out, I can see the logic of signing him. If we stay up, then he might end up being surplus to requirements, but that is a dilemma we may well be faced with.

Just to illustrate the crazy world we are entering, this perfectly serious headline from the Daily Mail:

Liverpool join Arsenal and Man United in race for Bournemouth ace Fraser as they eye cut-price £30m deal

dalyyanet

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

or £13m for Lloyd Kelly (Bristol City -> Bournemouth) - you'd be forgiven if you missed the thread on this...

2 minutes ago, Woodman said:

or £13m for Lloyd Kelly (Bristol City -> Bournemouth) - you'd be forgiven if you missed the thread on this...

FI are reporting an "exclusive" on City preparing to table a significant bid for Kalvin Philips. But as the same article mentions Bournemouth  are weighing up a 15 mill bid for the guy then this seems a pie in the sky exclusive.

To many linked to City players have to high a price tag, notwithstanding most these links are just gossip with zero fact, also City just dont have such finance to get these guys. The Lorient guy is supposedly 8 or 9 mill, Philips likely 12-15 mill, even Rhodes could be 4 or 5 mill...figures just dont add up. Still think the likeliest thing is anyone we do get will come from left field...unlinked until at least the final day or two of any transaction.

It’s astonishing the sort of fees that “unproven” (in PL terms) players are going for - but we were possibly going to be part of it had we not gone up.  A couple of months ago we were bandying figures about of £15m+ for Aarons  - from the outside that sort of fee, for a player who’s only had a season under his belt, would look bonkers.

Edited by Branston Pickle

True, though we are in the position of strength with players like Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis and even Buendia on reasonably long contracts (albeit with relatively small wages). Equally Maddison going for £20m+ could have been a gamble for Leicester.  He was considered a stand out player in our squad, but equally the 4 I've mentioned plus Pukki have also had a brilliant season.

One of the main concerns for us is the two year limitation on PL parachute payments.

Which means we have to be aware than any signing on a three year contract could be having to be met on a much reduced income should we be relegated after one year. That's what caused problems a couple of seasons back.

As to signings we have shown that we can find players who can play at a very high standard without a silly price. However the concern there is that they are not 'ready made' and so may well need a bit of time to get up to speed with both the PL and Farke's tactics.

But much will depend on keeping players focussed and driven - something that was certainly lacking in our first season in the Championshp a couple of years back.

Keep the mentality we have now and we will be fine.

28 minutes ago, Woodman said:

It was that £30m could actually be regarded as "cut-price" that was the point.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It was that £30m could actually be regarded as "cut-price" that was the point.

7 goals and 14 assists this season, 25 years old-£30 million sounds cheap to me 😄

12 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

7 goals and 14 assists this season, 25 years old-£30 million sounds cheap to me 😄

His stats look better because he played for Bournemouth- a team which plays attacking football. Had he played for Burnley or Brighton, there's no way he would've hit those numbers, and his price wouldn't be that high as a result.

48 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Sounds like we want Rhodes permanently (and are haggling down the price)

I do wonder about this potential signing.

I, like many others on here, would be fully happy to have Rhodes on a permanent deal. However, will he actually play much is the question?

His experience and character around the place have clearly been beneficial, by the sounds of it, to what we've achieved this season. But is it worth shelling out the fee and wages to have someone who might not play that regularly? I guess we may well need him for certain teams we'll come up against in the Prem and fully trust our recruitment team's judgement. I just wonder if it's worth utilising that money to bring in someone who may start more regularly?

22 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I do wonder about this potential signing.

I, like many others on here, would be fully happy to have Rhodes on a permanent deal. However, will he actually play much is the question?

His experience and character around the place have clearly been beneficial, by the sounds of it, to what we've achieved this season. But is it worth shelling out the fee and wages to have someone who might not play that regularly? I guess we may well need him for certain teams we'll come up against in the Prem and fully trust our recruitment team's judgement. I just wonder if it's worth utilising that money to bring in someone who may start more regularly?

This was my line of thought for most of the close-season so far, but I'm starting to come round to the idea. We need a 'number three' striker to give backup to Pukki and his challenger, and Rhodes already fits in with the group, probably won't moan about a lack of playing time, and is home-grown. He ticks all the boxes for what we're looking for in a third striker.

The only issue is cost. If Sheffield Wednesday want a couple of million for him and Rhodes wants £30-40k a week, then it probably isn't worth it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The only issue is cost. If Sheffield Wednesday want a couple of million for him and Rhodes wants £30-40k a week, then it probably isn't worth it.

That's the dilemma, not just for us, but for Jordan too.  We're not going to offer a £30k a week contract to him, and its unlikely any other Championship club will either.  He'll probably have plenty of clubs wanting him if Wednesday are willing to sell him for £3-5m, but only 4 or 5 will offer anywhere near £20k a week.

• Like 1

Well Rhodes is now back at Wednesday - so Wednesday it's now your move; are you going to release him from his contract, or try and find a different buyer? 

9 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Well Rhodes is now back at Wednesday - so Wednesday it's now your move; are you going to release him from his contract, or try and find a different buyer? 

Yep, Game on. We hold most of the Aces.

26 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Sounds like we’re playing a clever game, Surfer.

Just now, Surfer said:

Rhodes’ name was always going to be on the retained list. Even if Norwich activated the option he’d still have been listed there. It’s an administrative thing which the club is required to produce due to FA regulations 

No need for Norwich to rush into the transfer. Suspect Norwich want to pay the grand fee of zero and are waiting for Sheff Wed to agree. Every week he’s back in Sheffield is another £40k they have to pay (and Norwich don’t have to pay). 

33 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Cheers Alex,

Not **** poing you but I generally tend to take rumours from those webpages with a pinch of salt.

I used to pour over all the links on Newsnow but really the only ones I tend to look at are HITC these days and even then it's a lot of guff.

So really best you can do is refresh the EDP for stuff or look on the Pink Un forum as a couple of people are usually on the money.

I notice Nick Ma****er on Twitter is a little more quiet this summer than last and he's usually on the money with rumours as he had (has) some link to Webber.

1 hour ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Cheers Alex,

Not **** poing you but I generally tend to take rumours from those webpages with a pinch of salt.

I used to pour over all the links on Newsnow but really the only ones I tend to look at are HITC these days and even then it's a lot of guff.

So really best you can do is refresh the EDP for stuff or look on the Pink Un forum as a couple of people are usually on the money.

I notice Nick Ma****er on Twitter is a little more quiet this summer than last and he's usually on the money with rumours as he had (has) some link to Webber.

It’s all just a bit of fun, nothing more, nothing less - we all know the vastest majority of player links won’t come to fruition but I think most football supporters and fans take an interest in transfer rumours, it’s part and parcel of following your club.

HAH we are going to see rumours all summer long and I am happy to have that as news otherwise is so so slow.

I also don't mind just 1 topic with those rumours it can bring debate without flooding a message board.

As you say there are less reliable opinion sites, news sites and blogs but it does not hurt to discuss. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Surfer said:

eh ?

Rhodes has another year of a contract paying x amount. What benefit would it be to him to end that.... or be 'released' from it.

The most common scenario in cases like this is Weds have to make uo the difference in that last year to what his new cintract would be.

I cannot see there being a large or even any fee if he is joining another Championship club. And Weds know that otherwise they are 'stuck' with his contract for another year.

eh? You just said what I said - Wednesday pay off his contract, or he agrees a sum with them for his registration to be released so that he becomes a free agent. Why would he do that? Because he wants to play where he wants to play not where Wednesday send him, and/or he makes equal or more more money that way. Why would Wednesday do that? Well, that’s why I said it’s Wednesday’s move .... they clearly don’t want him, so what are they going to do? 

1 hour ago, smooth said:

HAH we are going to see rumours all summer long and I am happy to have that as news otherwise is so so slow.

I also don't mind just 1 topic with those rumours it can bring debate without flooding a message board.

As you say there are less reliable opinion sites, news sites and blogs but it does not hurt to discuss. 

Oh absolutely, even though we got our transfers in the past horribly horribly wrong, one thing I did like about those windows was the amount of speculation and angst - recall the McCormack fiasco or when we chased a number of wingers only to end up with Wildschutt.

Was a lot of fun I can't deny.

These days the transfers have been good just a shame we hear nothing until it lands!

I'm not going to complain though, the business last few years has been.. well we all know how it's panned out 🙂