Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

6 minutes ago, smooth said:

Don't think Jansen is the answer at centre half. This league needs centre halves with more pace and ability as Jansen. So for me not the right type of player.

He's not just a current Swedish international Mr. S., he's also the captain of his national side.

He should therefore be qualified at the highest level.

Sweden are not really also-rans on the fairly recent international stage after all.

£10m would be too much for Jansson. No doubt he is a decent centre half but he has been found wanting at important times in the last couple of seasons and is unproven at the highest level.

As for this Rhodes link. As long as he is here as 1 of 3 options then I am fine with it for a minimal fee and less in wages.

I never get this whole, "Sheffield Wednesday wont sell him for cheap because they want to recoup his fee" though. It's a sunk cost fallacy. They will get for him what he is worth. Sure the last season will have helped improve his stock but it is still not to a level of near the £10m they paid for him.

Hopefully we agreed some kind of clause should we want to make the deal permanent. Maybe we did but even that fee was too much?

If he came in alongside that French fella who could add a bit of pace and cover the left wing and striker slots then Rhodes could be a shrewd move. On his own, I dont think we have enough and it would be a huge risk if pukki got injured. Perhaps loaning Eddie Nketiah or similar could be worth doing as well.

36 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

He's not just a current Swedish international Mr. S., he's also the captain of his national side.

He should therefore be qualified at the highest level.

Sweden are not really also-rans on the fairly recent international stage after all.

He captained a second-string team in a friendly. He only has 20 caps over seven years and has not been a regular starter in the proper Swedish team, or even on the bench in competitive matches. That is not to say he isn''t a good player.

In the WC he started against S. Korea, because Lindelof was injured, and was a late sub coming on against England to try to get a goal. He was an unused sub in Sweden's other three matches. The first-choice Sweden centre-back pairing was, and still is, Lindelof and Granqvist.

Edited by PurpleCanary

I don't think we need to invest that much in the centre half position when the defensive midfield position is more critical. I think it is too much money and I don't think he has the attributes we are missing which is more pace. If klose leaves I think we will look for a centre half but this is costly in wages and fee. Don't think this has any legs.

However I am not surprised with the Rhodes link, Bruce said during pre match build up to our home game, that talks were planned between the 2 clubs and player 2 weeks after the end of the season.

I agree a perfect third choice option, I don't think he will cost loads and I think he understands his wages would come down if here. It has been discussed a lot.

I 100% agree if we brought in ACM from Lorient and then Rhodes, then I think it would be excellent business.

ACM versatility helps but he looks a serious upgrade, with hunger and he has the qualities, on the field, we need. If a player of his calibre were to join with Rhodes as third choice that would be a cracking start.

He's not better than Hanley, let alone Klose. Seems a fun character but thinking he would got for anywhere near £10m is silly. Wouldn't sign even though the reaction on waccoe would be monumental.

22 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

To be fair I'm surprised anyone took the kompany suggestion seriously, it certainly wasn't meant as such...

We've signed older and just as illustrious in the past CS.

Simon Mignolet is the latest linked. I see a lot of comments on Facebook along the lines of 'he's rubbish' based on the fact he's not been convincing at Liverpool, but a player who's not convincing at Liverpool should still be a quality player here. Apparently Liverpool are asking for £15m which is ridiculous, but nobody will pay that so he might be within our price range with a bit of negotiation.

I don't really get your angle. Are you just mad that people on Facebook don't like him as much as you? Of course he's a decent player and a bigger club likely will come in.

Even if you got the fee down to £5m and his wages down half (from £60k p/w) I just don't think we'd want a 3rd 30 years+ goalkeeper on the books.

It's just never going to happen.

I think it is a fair point regarding our current keepers and that adding another 30year old may not be the best move.

Yes we need a second set of sure of hands in our squad in the keeper position. But for me with our European scouting network I would expect our team to find a goalkeeper who has fresh eyes to the premier League with experience in another league. 

They will be learning and challenging Krul and also learning with McGovern. It's a great set up to come into for that younger keeper to push for number the number 1 spot.

Am I right in also noting that krul and McGovern are signed through to the end of next season. Therefore take advantage of having two fantastic seniors who can push an upcoming starter who may have impressed with a few years experience in the European leagues.

Goalkeepers are undervalued, in regard to transfer fee, when they are so important. So I think a good investment in fresh eyes from targets across Europe makes sense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree that it's highly unlikely. But the Pinkun are running the story so therefore it warrants a mention in the transfer thread, no?

Pinkun will run anything if people click on it, sadly.

We will surely be in for another keeper, but surely not Mignolet - the fee and wages would see to that.  The Bolton lad Connell would be a decent signing, we could surely offer a better consideration than Rangers (unless he’s a Gerrard groupie!).

We have previously had three keepers in the 25 man squad.

Which would mean that any addition would not even be bench warming. Hardly the position to be developing as a keeper - which would also suggest that Oxborough will be out on loan

And so any signing would be a keeper who has proved his worth and not needing first team game time.

Come on down Rob Green

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Which would mean that any addition would not even be bench warming. Hardly the position to be developing as a keeper - which would also suggest that Oxborough will be out on loan

No, it would mean McGovern wouldn't even be bench warming...

• Like 1

McGovern will be number three, I'm fairly sure of that. We need to sign a goalkeeper who is at least Krul's equal: the minimum is that he'll be on the same level as Krul and they'll push each other, but in an ideal world we'll sign someone better. Nothing against Krul, but any new signings should be at least as good as the player who currently plays in that position (aside from probably a backup to Aarons and a new Srbeny to be third striker).

19 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

McGovern will be number three, I'm fairly sure of that. We need to sign a goalkeeper who is at least Krul's equal: the minimum is that he'll be on the same level as Krul and they'll push each other, but in an ideal world we'll sign someone better. Nothing against Krul, but any new signings should be at least as good as the player who currently plays in that position (aside from probably a backup to Aarons and a new Srbeny to be third striker).

.... how about Rhodes as third striker and get one in to challenge Pukki for the shirt?

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If the price is right, I'd be fine with it. But the cost is likely to be the issue.

We can't go into the new season with just Pukki and Rhodes, just not enough. 

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's blindingly obvious. It wouldn't even be enough at Championship level.

So, we agree, cost is not the issue.  We have to get someone in, regardless of cost. 

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But would you rather spend several million on Rhodes (fee and wages) who wouldn't play much, or a much lower fee for someone else who wouldn't play much?

I'm hoping that DF/SW can get Rhodes at a good price while finding another 'gem' in the young and hungry category mold. Perhaps I'm just being optimistic. 

If Sheff Wed will take a nominal fee and Rhodes will reduce his wage demands significantly from his existing £40k a week then there could be some merit to having him third choice. Wouldn’t want him on a contract any longer than 2 years though.