Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

The only people who accurately know who Norwich are after are Webber and his recruitment team and Alan Nixon of the sun. Who is one of the few journalists actually in the know 

1 hour ago, Woodman said:

I know literally nothing about him, but trust Webber & Farke.  Our last striker signed from Portugal didn't go that well...

https://soccersouls.com/go-for-it-farke-norwich-signing-this-portuguese-star-with-e10m-release-clause-would-massively-aid-their-pl-campaign/

Moreirense have a great kit - a yellow and green version would be cool!

That kit looks like it would have the sponsors logo issue that the yellow & green halves one did.

I have to agree with the sentiment above about how we will have money available, it just will pale into comparison to our new peers in the top flight. Players in the 3-10 Million range will probably make up the bulk of our signings, though the top end of that would see us break our transfer record which is 8.5 I believe. I think the point they are making is, while in context to Norwich that will be quite a lot, its almost nothing in comparison to some of the outlays from bigger teams: A 10 million player, x2 3 millions and X2 2 million would be the 5 or so signings we expect but also keep us in the rough estimate of 20 million and massively below a lot of the teams above us in size. And thats not a criticism, I just think we could expect one or maybe at a stretch two players who could be pushing £10 million mark. 

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

An actual, genuine link is that Norwich want to sign Chiquinho from Moreirense in Portugal. Plays as a number 10 or a striker and been a stand out for a mid-table team in the top league over there. 

Slight problem is that Benfica also want to sign him so that might be a bit of an insurmountable hurdle. 

Fee is estimated to be between €8 - €10m. 

Wolves will probably sign him 😉😂

24 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

That kit looks like it would have the sponsors logo issue that the yellow & green halves one did.

Nasty too- looks like a scrabble board from 1975

11 minutes ago, birchfest said:

A 10 million player, x2 3 millions and X2 2 million would be the 5 or so signings we expect but also keep us in the rough estimate of 20 million

I thought Webber said the 20 million included wages as well as fees? (Granted, as I think someone has said, there’s probably an element of bluff in this and the actual figure is probably a little higher).

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

I thought Webber said the 20 million included wages as well as fees? (Granted, as I think someone has said, there’s probably an element of bluff in this and the actual figure is probably a little higher).

Webber has never actually confirmed the £20m figure I believe, it was just a report in a paper. Would be mad for a sporting director to come out and say 'we've got exactly X million to spend this window.'

17 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I have to agree with the sentiment above about how we will have money available, it just will pale into comparison to our new peers in the top flight. Players in the 3-10 Million range will probably make up the bulk of our signings, though the top end of that would see us break our transfer record which is 8.5 I believe. I think the point they are making is, while in context to Norwich that will be quite a lot, its almost nothing in comparison to some of the outlays from bigger teams: A 10 million player, x2 3 millions and X2 2 million would be the 5 or so signings we expect but also keep us in the rough estimate of 20 million and massively below a lot of the teams above us in size. And thats not a criticism, I just think we could expect one or maybe at a stretch two players who could be pushing £10 million mark. 

This is the point I've made quite a lot on here- the kind of player who cost £8-10m last time we went up probably costs £15m odd now. I think only two or three clubs didn't pay at least £10m for one player last season and even clubs like Burnley, Palace and Brighton now spend north of £15m on one player. It's just the way of the market.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

This is the point I've made quite a lot on here- the kind of player who cost £8-10m last time we went up probably costs £15m odd now. I think only two or three clubs didn't pay at least £10m for one player last season and even clubs like Burnley, Palace and Brighton now spend north of £15m on one player. It's just the way of the market.

Yep, also important for people to realise that these purchases aren't just briefcases full of cash handed over at the same time as the player. Yes, Burnley and clubs of a similar size to us spend £15m on a player now. But quite often 3 or 4m of that will be dependant upon that club staying in the prem, 1-2m on goal / assist/ cleansheet bonuses etc etc.

To get quality players ready for Prem Football - even with our European scouting ability - it's not going to be cheap.

Another player from Portugal being linked is Benfica's Chris Willock. He was highly rated when Benfica signed him from Arsenal but hasn't done anything since. Sounds like a case of not settling more than anything. 

Is he worth a gamble on potential? I remember Norwich signed him on my Football Manager game and he was a bit-part player in the Premier League for them. 

But is he any more 'ready' than Cantwell is right now, at a similar age? I'm not convinced.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Another player from Portugal being linked is Benfica's Chris Willock. He was highly rated when Benfica signed him from Arsenal but hasn't done anything since. Sounds like a case of not settling more than anything. 

Is he worth a gamble on potential? I remember Norwich signed him on my Football Manager game and he was a bit-part player in the Premier League for them. 

But is he any more 'ready' than Cantwell's is right now, at a similar age? I'm not convinced.

Willock was and is a great talent. He’s only 21 so still has a lot of developing to do. 

Would be a really good signing for Norwich and is a very different type of player to Cantwell, Willock is a bit more of a traditional wide player and is rapid. 

A good option to have off the bench and would probably push Hernandez hard for a starting place in the team. Would also allow Cantwell to go on loan and get the 30 odd first team games that he really needs. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Willock was and is a great talent. He’s only 21 so still has a lot of developing to do. 

Would be a really good signing for Norwich and is a very different type of player to Cantwell, Willock is a bit more of a traditional wide player and is rapid. 

A good option to have off the bench and would probably push Hernandez hard for a starting place in the team. Would also allow Cantwell to go on loan and get the 30 odd first team games that he really needs. 

Regarding your last paragraph- that's why I mentioned Cantwell. Would it make sense to pay money for a young prospect on the fringes of the first team just to loan out one we already have? I'm in favour of Cantwell having a season on loan in the Championship but spending money on another young bsckup/prospect to take his place in the squad doesn't make much sense when we could spend the money elsewhere- unless Willock is available on the cheap.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Regarding your last paragraph- that's why I mentioned Cantwell. Would it make sense to pay money for a young prospect on the fringes of the first team just to loan out one we already have? I'm in favour of Cantwell having a season on loan in the Championship but spending money on another young bsckup/prospect to take his place in the squad doesn't make much sense when we could spend the money elsewhere- unless Willock is available on the cheap.

Willock is probably a better player than Cantwell, and could probably contribute more to the team than Cantwell. 

Largely because Cantwell isn’t really a wide player and Willock is. Chances are Willock wouldn’t be particularly expensive and would also be a player that probably wouldn’t push for a move should Norwich be relegated. 

Obviously the devil is in the detail, but from what I’ve seen of Willock, he’d be a good addition. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Willock is probably a better player than Cantwell, and could probably contribute more to the team than Cantwell. 

Largely because Cantwell isn’t really a wide player and Willock is. Chances are Willock wouldn’t be particularly expensive and would also be a player that probably wouldn’t push for a move should Norwich be relegated. 

Obviously the devil is in the detail, but from what I’ve seen of Willock, he’d be a good addition. 

Based on the clubs he's played for and the caps he's won for England at youth level, he probably is more highly rated than Cantwell. However, Willock has never played at a higher level than the Portuguese second tier and he's 21 now, so it would be a hell of a jump and a hell of a risk to put him in our first team straight away. At least Cantwell is on the fringes anyway with quite a few Championship appearances under his belt. 

I wouldn't mind Willock but the price needs to be right.

Just watched a video and there certainly is a player there that answers the questions we have in wide areas. We need pace, creativity at pace and strength.

The close control and balance looks very impressive, which is so important when against premier League defenders.

I can see why interest may be there, as if our chief scout says if Farke got another 15% out of player then he would be a good young addition.

If the situation has changed since the alleged interest in January then it is worth checking again.

I think we can agree Cantwell can play out wide but he is a player that drifts inside and is probably more suited in that number 10 role. He can advance his progress, but we do know we need pace in the wide area as a new option. 

As NCFC fans we love exciting wide players, so looking forward to a new addition.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Based on the clubs he's played for and the caps he's won for England at youth level, he probably is more highly rated than Cantwell. However, Willock has never played at a higher level than the Portuguese second tier and he's 21 now, so it would be a hell of a jump and a hell of a risk to put him in our first team straight away. At least Cantwell is on the fringes anyway with quite a few Championship appearances under his belt. 

I wouldn't mind Willock but the price needs to be right.

What about Christoph Zimmerman though?

48 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Sounds good Bethnal. 

Regarding Cantwell, what do people think is his best position, also bearing in mind the way we play?

It is interesting to see where Cantwell is best suited. I think it depends how he develops.

I can't see him deeper than a number 10 unless it is with over lapping wing backs and he is in a midfield 3.

He should be a number 10, finding pockets of space and using that range of passes he has.

I think it is interesting how he develops, he just needs to be more ruthless, greedy and build up a little more strength.

If we had not gone up this season he could have been testing Marco but I think now we have gone up he does need a loan for minutes on the field and to tune his skills. We need a better standard of player and hence he is going to find a very competitive squad at the end of this summer and he will need to develop quickly.

Seems Portugal is a bit of a hunting ground this summer. Which makes sense as it generally has good value. 

Norwich offered a contract to Benfica defensive midfielder and Greek international Andreas Samaris but he declined it and decided to re-sign with Benfica. 

With him and Chinquinho both turning down Norwich - it reports are to be believed and these are both well sourced - then it goes to show that even with meticulous plans it can be hard to get business done quickly. 

It’s a problem each time we go up. Players don’t want to sign for us- we miss out on option A and end up in bargain basement where players who aren’t really good enough reside...

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

It’s a problem each time we go up. Players don’t want to sign for us- we miss out on option A and end up in bargain basement where players who aren’t really good enough reside...

We’re all doomed!

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

It's amazing how we sign players who are good enough to get us up in the first place then.

• Like 1

If they don't want to come here then they are ultimately not players we want here according to the criteria that has been mentioned, and I'm happy with that.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Seems Portugal is a bit of a hunting ground this summer. Which makes sense as it generally has good value. 

Norwich offered a contract to Benfica defensive midfielder and Greek international Andreas Samaris but he declined it and decided to re-sign with Benfica. 

With him and Chinquinho both turning down Norwich - it reports are to be believed and these are both well sourced - then it goes to show that even with meticulous plans it can be hard to get business done quickly. 

When did Chinquinho turn us down then? I'm not questioning whether you're itk but that's a quick turnaround from yesterday! 

25 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

The L'Equipe writer thinks it likely he'll go somewhere this summer, but plainly we are not the only interested club. It is the lead story on their Ligue 2 page.

Edited by PurpleCanary

27 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

When did Chinquinho turn us down then? I'm not questioning whether you're itk but that's a quick turnaround from yesterday! 

Just after I mentioned it here, it was reported in Portugal that his club and Benfica are finalising the deal.

It may be it never got to the stage where Norwich spoke to the player (it could also be completely spurious reporting). 

4 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Its not like right now we're talking about a championship or league two player not wanting to come. If the story had any legs in it then we should be happy we're aiming for this type of player. Wouldnt be suprising if for every 15 champions league player we enquire about we might only get in to the room with one