Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

O/T Next years Champion League

Who qualifies if..........

Arsenal win the Europa League & Liverpool win the Champions League?

Arsenal win the Europa League & Spurs win the Champions League?

Chelsea win the Europa League & Liverpool win the Champions League?

Chelsea win the Europa League & Spurs win the Champions League?

The top four qualify automatically and the Europa League winners get a place.

Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea are all mathematically assured, and Spurs are basically confirmed too. It just depends on if Arsenal win the Europa League- if they do, England will have five teams in the Champions League, just like last season.

You probably should care.  The more that have ECL and Europa Cup commitments, the more they will be knackered when they come to play us.  This could be a big factor in our survival next year, especially if teams like Wolves are travelling far and wide.  

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

You probably should care.  The more that have ECL and Europa Cup commitments, the more they will be knackered when they come to play us.  This could be a big factor in our survival next year, especially if teams like Wolves are travelling far and wide.  

Or we might play them at the wrong time and they will be totally fresh, but likely relegation opponents might play them when they are knackered! :classic_ohmy:

56 minutes ago, Badger said:

Or we might play them at the wrong time and they will be totally fresh, but likely relegation opponents might play them when they are knackered! :classic_ohmy:

True as well.  Still a reason to care.

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The top four qualify automatically and the Europa League winners get a place.

Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea are all mathematically assured, and Spurs are basically confirmed too. It just depends on if Arsenal win the Europa League- if they do, England will have five teams in the Champions League, just like last season.

If we have five in the champions league, how many are in the Europa league? Does it become 5 plus 3 or 5 plus 2?

Normally it’s 4 plus 3 isn’t it.. ? top 4 - champs league, FA cup winner plus 5th and 6th - europa league. If FA cup winner is in champs league, then 5, 6 and 7 Europa league? (Different qualification stages.)

This is from the BBC website today:

Tottenham and Liverpool are in the Champions League final.

Presuming the winners finish in the Premier League's top four, barring an extremely unlikely set of scorelines to drop Spurs down to fifth on the final day, then only four English teams go into next season's Champions League.

The 'extra' group stage spot would go to the Austrian champions, who otherwise need to go through qualifying as Uefa's 11th-ranked league.

If an English team did win the Champions League and finish outside the Premier League's top four then five English teams would go into next season's group stage.

There is no Champions League spot for the beaten finalists. Liverpool would not have qualified this year had they not finished in the 2017-18 top four.

Uefa changed the rules for qualification last year - starting with this season's tournaments.

7 hours ago, shefcanary said:

True as well.  Still a reason to care.

I don't care because we aren't in control of who we play and when. As Badger says, we're as likely to be disadvantaged as we are advantaged, that said, those Clubs have players in their reserves that we couldn't afford. 

I also don't care because they aren't my Team and they're playing in a competition that we're not part of. 

• Like 1

Two questions for the people who 'don't care':

Did you feel any sense of excitement or interest when Liverpool or Spurs completed their comebacks this week?

Do you have any interest in football whatsoever aside from Norwich City?

I find it very hard to believe that anyone who genuinely follows a football team (any team) could answer 'no' to the above questions.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Two questions for the people who 'don't care':

Did you feel any sense of excitement or interest when Liverpool or Spurs completed their comebacks this week?

Do you have any interest in football whatsoever aside from Norwich City?

I find it very hard to believe that anyone who genuinely follows a football team (any team) could answer 'no' to the above questions.

Er, no. When I was a kid I would follow all our Teams in Europe, back then British Teams were just that, today the likes of Liverpool have become just 11 men in red shirts. The only thing British about them is that their home ground is on British soil. The Clubs themselves don't care as long as they are making money and winning Trophies but what are they putting back into the game?

How many players do they bring through their  youth Teams who go on to have a career playing in the first Team? How many Michael Owens? Since Fergy's babes, how many? and don't get me started on Chelsea. 

Yes, foreign imports have been good for the game, it's a World sport after all, that being the case, why should Liverpool or Tottenham be of anymore interest than anyone else? They're just a bunch of footballers from wherever wearing a shirt of a Team that I don't support. 

21 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Er, no. When I was a kid I would follow all our Teams in Europe, back then British Teams were just that, today the likes of Liverpool have become just 11 men in red shirts. The only thing British about them is that their home ground is on British soil. The Clubs themselves don't care as long as they are making money and winning Trophies but what are they putting back into the game?

How many players do they bring through their  youth Teams who go on to have a career playing in the first Team? How many Michael Owens? Since Fergy's babes, how many? and don't get me started on Chelsea. 

Yes, foreign imports have been good for the game, it's a World sport after all, that being the case, why should Liverpool or Tottenham be of anymore interest than anyone else? They're just a bunch of footballers from wherever wearing a shirt of a Team that I don't support. 

It's nothing to do with the fact said teams are English. I just find it absolutely baffling how anyone with a supposed interest in football couldn't seem to care less about two of the greatest footballing comebacks in recent times.

23 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's nothing to do with the fact said teams are English. I just find it absolutely baffling how anyone with a supposed interest in football couldn't seem to care less about two of the greatest footballing comebacks in recent times.

Quite simply, it's happened, I've seen it, like numerous comebacks in the past and likely in the future. Entertaining, but no more than that. Ultimately, two Teams, who I don't support, playing in a Competition that I don't particularly like and that have no baring on my Team, means I don't care. 

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So you found it entertaining? That means you do care, to an extent.

It's just that saying you're a Norwich fan but don't care about football in general is like saying that you're a big Oasis fan and you own all their albums but you don't like music and won't listen to anyone else.

I found Avatar entertaining, do I care?

I am a Norwich fan, born and bred and yes I care about football. Just not the same way as you.

I care that football has become a rich man's plaything, that money alone brings success no matter how how good the scouting network is at Brentford or Yeovil, they will never play in the Champions League. 

I care that When you walk into the Den or Oakwell, you immediately know that those in the ground are largely locals who support their Team, not because they're the best in Europe but because it's their Team and that, win or lose they'll be back next week. 

I care that all that tradition, of supporting your local Team is being eroded by TV and big business, that Clubs all over the Country are on the brink of extinction because people are gravitating towards the big six.....

.... and when the big six bu66er off to the full time European Super League, taking all the money with them, will they care?

6 hours ago, splendidrush said:

.. and when the big six bu66er off to the full time European Super League, taking all the money with them, will they care?

I'll care Splendido, if by then we're one of the big Six.😉. If not, not so much.

• Haha 1

So does this mean that Arsenal have qualified for the Champions League next year regardless of the Europa League final result? As Chelsea have already qualified by being in the top four, would the Europa League runners up take a Champions League place were Chelsea to win it? 

It does seem to make a mockery of qualification if so.

8 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I found Avatar entertaining, do I care?

I am a Norwich fan, born and bred and yes I care about football. Just not the same way as you.

I care that football has become a rich man's plaything, that money alone brings success no matter how how good the scouting network is at Brentford or Yeovil, they will never play in the Champions League. 

I care that When you walk into the Den or Oakwell, you immediately know that those in the ground are largely locals who support their Team, not because they're the best in Europe but because it's their Team and that, win or lose they'll be back next week. 

I care that all that tradition, of supporting your local Team is being eroded by TV and big business, that Clubs all over the Country are on the brink of extinction because people are gravitating towards the big six.....

.... and when the big six bu66er off to the full time European Super League, taking all the money with them, will they care?

I agree with all of that. But by posting such a passionate defence, you've shown that you do indeed care.

6 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

So does this mean that Arsenal have qualified for the Champions League next year regardless of the Europa League final result? As Chelsea have already qualified by being in the top four, would the Europa League runners up take a Champions League place were Chelsea to win it? 

It does seem to make a mockery of qualification if so.

No. Only the Europa League winners qualify for the Champions League (if they haven't already qualified via league position).

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree with all of that. But by posting such a passionate defence, you've shown that you do indeed care.

..... but not about the OP. 😉