Alex Moss

Marcel Franke to return to Norwich?

21 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I would assume not as the increase would likely be due from the start of the season. However, he might well be contractually entitled to a bonus. Although I doubt he even has a promotion clause in his contract as he was signed on premier league wages and I don't think he had a relegation clause. One of the worst signings ever made by the club in financial terms if true.

Correct in that he won’t get wage increase, as that will only kick in for players from 1 July. He probably won’t get a bonus as those generally have some clause about the player appearing a certain amount of times. 

He did has a relegation wage reduction clause. 

4 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

The back 4 in the Millwall game was Pinto, Martin, Franke and Husband. I think we've moved on.

Bloody Hell!! i'm amazed we only conceded four.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He deserves another chance, Franke was pretty poor when I saw him but so were Vrancic Zimmerman and Stiepermann but they turned out ok.

I suspect he won't have much success trying to get in the team but you can't blame him for trying

He has no chance of getting back in the team. This is just a wages/contract play.

19 hours ago, glory.win or die. said:

He deserves another chance, Franke was pretty poor when I saw him but so were Vrancic Zimmerman and Stiepermann but they turned out ok.

I suspect he won't have much success trying to get in the team but you can't blame him for trying.

Exactly. I know that he went out on loan for some good reason but if we judged all of our German players after seven games (many did) we’d all be looking rather silly. 

He may be a dud but I don’t think we can know that after so few appearances. There was a reason he was signed in the first place after all. 

28 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Exactly. I know that he went out on loan for some good reason but if we judged all of our German players after seven games (many did) we’d all be looking rather silly. 

He may be a dud but I don’t think we can know that after so few appearances. There was a reason he was signed in the first place after all. 

The fact Farke has sent him out on loan twice suggests he doesn't see the room for improvement that he did in Vrancic or similar. 

To be fair the club clearly wanted to get rid of Vrancic last summer. Franke situation felt more like it was the player that wanted to go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

To be fair the club clearly wanted to get rid of Vrancic last summer. Franke situation felt more like it was the player that wanted to go.

I didn't get the impression we fought very hard to keep him. 

Oh yes, seemed mutual. I do feel like if the player wanted to fight back then the club would have been fine with that too.

• Like 1

As people say in Farke we trust to this extent Webber also. If there is room to include the guy in training and he is not disruptive then keep him, but others are ahead of him and likely we might bring someone else in. Depends how much we want the sale.

Seems odd. Clearly Farke has never believed he's good enough for our squad in Championship, so not sure that would change for Premiership, especially as he's been farmed out for two seasons!. 

Just because a club has a guaranteed purchase option, doesn't automatically mean the player will move.

Franke could quite easily be unwilling to accept their contract terms and thus regardless of whether or not we've agreed on a sale price, the move wouldn't happen as you can't actually force a player to sign for someone else.

If he really decides to dig his heels in over this, we're still bound to honour the contract we signed him under, and potentially he'd be sat in the reserves all season picking up a wage because he doesn't want to go back on loan or sign for someone else.

I simply can't see where he fits in, he'd clearly be 5th choice at very best, looked pretty poor (after a limited number of games admittedly) in the champs, and unless Farke thinks differently, Franke's career at Norwich is basically done.

Franke and Raggett are in a similar position. They need to prove Farke wrong in pre-season. Good luck to them but if they fail they both need to be off the books in the August window.

Marshall is another - his versatility could mean he has a use in the squad of 25. But something had better change and it changes him.

10 minutes ago, DanTheMan said:

Marshall is another - his versatility could mean he has a use in the squad of 25. But something had better change and it changes him.

He's not a Premiership quality player, we'll be looking to move him on, if not, a loan beckons. 

If players bought under the Farke regime have a promotion clause.  Oliviera was signed under Neil and doubtful if such clause in his contract unless extension we don't know about. Wouldn't have thought likely after antics at Fulham. It is unfair that any players who did not contribute to promotion get a financial windfall would like to see contract wording if blanket increase across the board it should have caveats concerning triggering the increases if not there ought to be.   

It has to be more than just a contract/money issue. I would take it at face value and see it as an opportunity for Franke to have another go.  He will know why he was not kept last season and he has had a season to develop his game.  If he can show he has improved on the aspects of his play that he needed to, he may well get his chance.

It is up to him and I wouldn't write him off yet!