Alex Moss

Marcel Franke to return to Norwich?

11 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I suspect he wants to renegotiate the contract offered by Darmstadt. Franke’s wages will have just gone up by 30% - 40% and he’ll want that reflected in the deal he’s being offered by prospective clubs. He could also come back to Norwich, then go out on loan again, pocketing his pay rise and then get to leave on a free next summer - which is always a more profitable time to move for a player. 

• Like 1

Perhaps he believes in his ability and wants to try and show Farke during pre season that he is worth another go. Wouldn’t be the first player to force his way back into their managers plans. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

I was thinking of starting a thread on this. Presumably all contracted players will get the PL salary increase, regardless of whether they have been playing for us, or will be in the manager's plans for next season?

This will presumably have an effect on how easy it will be to loan out some of our fringe players (Franke, Marshall, etc) without having to more heavily subsidise their wages. Hopefully, not too much of a problem given our significant increase in income, but a contributing factor nevertheless to next season's budget.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I was thinking of starting a thread on this. Presumably all contracted players will get the PL salary increase, regardless of whether they have been playing for us, or will be in the manager's plans for next season?

This will presumably have an effect on how easy it will be to loan out some of our fringe players (Franke, Marshall, etc) without having to more heavily subsidise their wages. Hopefully, not too much of a problem given our significant increase in income, but a contributing factor nevertheless to next season's budget.

There’s the joy of a promotion and players not wanted being on contracts that allow pay rises (that’s assuming all of them have that in their contracts by the way)

25 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I suspect he wants to renegotiate the contract offered by Darmstadt. Franke’s wages will have just gone up by 30% - 40% and he’ll want that reflected in the deal he’s being offered by prospective clubs. He could also come back to Norwich, then go out on loan again, pocketing his pay rise and then get to leave on a free next summer - which is always a more profitable time to move for a player. 

Yes Beth, I actually misread one of the lines from the article as ‘Farke has put a stop to the move to Germany’, when of course, it was actually Franke! That makes things very different! So yes, I agree, he will of course come back but I too would be very surprised if he gets his shot in the Premier League.

Where does it say these salary increases are automatic for all the players.  If agreed this is financial madness offering increases to all fringe players if those involved in the promotion ok but not everyone unless of course there are clauses in contracts which seems unusual given where some of the fringe players have come from.  

Franke would hardly have been considered a fringe player when he was signed. Pretty sure he was one of our bigger buys that summer.

He was bought in to be the main partner for Klose, ended up being replaced by Hanley about 6 weeks later!

12 minutes ago, pete said:

Where does it say these salary increases are automatic for all the players.  If agreed this is financial madness offering increases to all fringe players if those involved in the promotion ok but not everyone unless of course there are clauses in contracts which seems unusual given where some of the fringe players have come from.  

Any agent who doesn’t get a wage rise upon promotion for their player who is joining a Championship club should be sacked. 

The difference in club revenue means it is pretty much a given that players will get pay rises.  

I can’t remember anything about his play, other than the physical nature of the Championship didn’t suit him. Would he possibly be more effective in the PL? We must have seen something in him, as KS says, he was one of our more expensive buys.

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

I can’t remember anything about his play, other than the physical nature of the Championship didn’t suit him. Would he possibly be more effective in the PL? We must have seen something in him, as KS says, he was one of our more expensive buys.

The speed at which he was dropped not only from the starting XI but from the bench and back out to Germany suggests there was a bigger issue than his performances. 

The Premier League is no less physical than the Championship, while refs may give a tiny bit more protection to players the players tend to be stronger and faster. 

Yeah it was after the 4-0 defeat at Millwall I think ?  And I've got to agree that a CB in the Prem needs to be every bit as strong as in the Champs.  It's creative players who tend to suffer more in the Champs, not the defenders.

It seems the natural progression if you cant keep Morrison and co. quiet to think you'd have a better chance against Salah, Hazard and Aguero! :)

In all seriousness, good luck to him if he manages to win Farke round then I am on board...

Wow, just looked up the line up from that Millwall game - we really have moved on:

1 Gunn
2 Pinto
5 Martin Substituted for Zimmermann at 59'minutes
28 Franke
3 Husband
4 Reed Substituted for Stiepermann at 59'minutes
14 Hoolahan
23 Maddison Substituted for Tettey at 75'minutes
8 Vrancic
11 Murphy
9 Oliveira

• Like 1

Well. He's on our books Farke/Webber signed him and their record of players from the German league is pretty immaculate at the moment. Farke must have fancied him for a reason so it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the extra centre back that everybody says we need is already on the books.

On the other hand, I have never really seen him in action being a long distant plastic so from my viewpoint he might therefore also be genuinely not good enough.Others will know. For this though he won't have been the only one of the current manager's imports who have needed time to find his feet in England so to speak.

Perhaps his regrets are genuine but, then again, he might just be sniffing the extra money and is willing to put up with another dose of his reported 'homesickness' in order to line his pockets. He does appear to have a bit of a nerve either way.

Whatever, Webber will deal with it, Farke will know.

Curious one though.

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia he only played 7 times for us so not sure any City fan will have much of a better view than you about him!

as you say, Farke’s signings (in do far as it’s down  to him alone) have generally been pretty good but no one can get it right 100%.

1 hour ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Wow, just looked up the line up from that Millwall game - we really have moved on:

1 Gunn
2 Pinto
5 Martin Substituted for Zimmermann at 59'minutes
28 Franke
3 Husband
4 Reed Substituted for Stiepermann at 59'minutes
14 Hoolahan
23 Maddison Substituted for Tettey at 75'minutes
8 Vrancic
11 Murphy
9 Oliveira

In fairness to him that wasn't a great back four to be a part of...

I very much doubt he'll feature for us next season, but if he has a genuine desire to come back and prove a point then stranger things have, just occasionally, happened.

I remember him being terrible. He kept making errors which led to goals. I can't imagine him fitting back into the team. Fairly sure he's just hanging around to pick up the increased wages. Not criticising anyone for that situation, the recruitment has been very good, but this signing was one of the few exceptions.

• Like 1

Saw him play at that dreadful Millwall game and thought we may as well had 9 outfield players. Seemed completely overwhelmed at the nature of their game and given the guy isn't exactly small I was very surprised. Robert Huth he ain't. This is probably a nothing story. If he comes back too he has Hanley, Klose, Zimm and Godfrey to disrupt - in the view none of them are leaving of course.

9 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I remember him being terrible. He kept making errors which led to goals. I can't imagine him fitting back into the team. Fairly sure he's just hanging around to pick up the increased wages. Not criticising anyone for that situation, the recruitment has been very good, but this signing was one of the few exceptions.

I seem to remember Zimbo was getting stick for errors at the time as well (e.g. the Villa mauling the week before), but he seems to have bounced back.

• Like 1

Oliveira still has a year left on his contract and presumably is entitled to his Premiership increase. Plus Marshall, Husband and Raggett.  Can't see any of those 4 being part of Farke's plans, but contractually, I assume we're liable until we sell them?

4 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Oliveira still has a year left on his contract and presumably is entitled to his Premiership increase. Plus Marshall, Husband and Raggett.  Can't see any of those 4 being part of Farke's plans, but contractually, I assume we're liable until we sell them?

I would assume that those players are entitled to an increase; although I believe Oliveira was on big wages already. Also, if you sell a player and their wages go down, the selling club usually have to make up the difference for the duration of the original contract.

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

So Naismiths last months pay will have an increase as well ?

I would assume not as the increase would likely be due from the start of the season. However, he might well be contractually entitled to a bonus. Although I doubt he even has a promotion clause in his contract as he was signed on premier league wages and I don't think he had a relegation clause. One of the worst signings ever made by the club in financial terms if true.