Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Academy players released

Norwich have confirmed they are releasing 8 players at the end of their contracts.

The eight players are: Pierre Fonkeu, Tristan Abrahams, Louis McIntosh, Bilal Kamal, Spencer Keller, Finlay Barnes, Ryan Dickerson, Aaron Ekumah.

Good luck lads and I hope as many of you as possible find jobs in the game.

Must be so upsetting for these lads to be told they are not going to make it. Not with us anyway. Lets hope they find employment in the game elsewhere. And I'm sure, on the back of our success, that many L1 and L2 clubs will have a look.

• Like 1

Spencer Keller's mum (I think) has been on twitter this morning making sure everybody knows that leaving the club was his choice, not the clubs. Perhaps that could be the same with some of the others.

I've also been impressed with Kamal, GB. Playing out of position and in an age group ahead of his years.

Would imagine we'll be buying a lot of players for our academies over the next few months.

Good luck to those boys, in what is a cutthroat industry. Tough to take when it's been your dream since you were a kid, hopefully they'll get another opportunity elsewhere. 

Part and parcel of being an aspiring footballer. They will have all known which way the wind is blowing for a while and this won’t be a huge shock to any of them. 

There are very few footballers who haven’t been released for at least one academy in their time. Good luck to them in their future endeavours. 

6 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Spencer Keller's mum (I think) has been on twitter this morning making sure everybody knows that leaving the club was his choice, not the clubs. 

Also been a few of his "friends" on Facebook hinting that he has not been happy with the way he has been treated at the academy and thus why he has proactively sought to get away.  I hope this does not mean "ego's" are at play here; Godfrey for one could have gone on a major strop for being played out of position for instance, but knuckled down and has become arguably a better player as a result?

There are some very good players playing professional football who would have been released at some time in their early careers.Good luck to this batch of players they might well make a go of it elsewhere.

• Like 1

A few people (parents of the released lads?) are apparently upset with the picture of the Carrow Rd turf that accompanies NCFC’s statement...

’PLEASE KEEP OFF THE GRASS’

Never an easy time for the lads and the families concerned, they will have invested a huge amount of time, energy and emotion into their time here and many, quite understandably, will be feeling bitter.

I would be very disappointed and surprised if some are moving on because of "better offers" at clubs like Man City, if we thought they were what we needed then I suspect we would moved heaven and earth to hang on to them.

The crucial point though is they "may not be what we need' but may well move on to do well in other set ups. They will all go with a letter of recommendation from the club and good luck to them all.

Edited by Van wink

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

A few people (parents of the released lads?) are apparently upset with the picture of the Carrow Rd turf that accompanies NCFC’s statement...

’PLEASE KEEP OFF THE GRASS’

Must admit when I saw that I did think it was an odd picture to put with that particular announcement. 

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Must admit when I saw that I did think it was an odd picture to put with that particular announcement. 

I think Danny Baker did it...

• Haha 1

Surprised to see Abrahams who seemed to be a regular starter and goalscorer for the youth team getting released, also Bilal Kamal was supposedly the next big gem in our academy a couple of years back, shame he doesn't appear to have made it work. Hope they all find success somewhere else (and maybe if they turn out to be good after all we can sign them back again in a couple of years 😛 )

18 minutes ago, andyc24_uk said:

Surprised to see Abrahams who seemed to be a regular starter and goalscorer for the youth team getting released,

He wasn’t a regular starter and goal scorer for Yeovil though, not surprised personally 

5 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

He wasn’t a regular starter and goal scorer for Yeovil though, not surprised personally 

I can't think of a single Yeovil player that's gone on to be successful at the top level.