Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

UEFA didn’t plan that well

Great to see 2 English teams in the Champions League Final and England in the Nations Cup Semi Final, however looks like we are being put at a huge disadvantage in the latter. The Champions league Final is Saturday 1/6/2019 at 21:00. The First Nations Cup semifinal is Wednesday 5/6/2019 at 7:45 ( Switzerland v Portugal ) where I can think of at least 1 player in the Saturday Final. The second semifinal is Thursday 6/6/2019 at 7:45 ( England v Netherlands ) with the final and 3rd place playoff being played on Sunday 9/6/2019.

Whoever came up with these dates needs to take a long hard look at their organising skills.

Didn't seem to help Ajax in the 2nd half....

I think it is plain that, at the moment, British teams are as skillful as other countries but we have a greater fitness, passion and belief.

Klopp and Pep have been astonished at what it can produce. And we didn't win promotion just because we had better players. We had greater fitness and desire.

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Could be two EPL teams in Europa League Final as well.

Yes I forgot that. That final is 29/5/2019.

Was always known it would be close to the finals, clubs and countries said they didn’t mind and felt it was better to have it early and allow most of the summer to be a rest period in what is normally a fallow summer.

The Nations tournament isn’t meant to be as prestigious as others and there will be a certaint amount of experimenting in the squads. 

8 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I thought the Ajax players were given a long rest before last night's game whereas Spurs had a Prem game last weekend ?  Didn't seem to help Ajax in the 2nd half....

Appreciate what you are saying but in international football the squad is usually together for some time before. Most of our players will be joining up 2 days before.

I know this won’t happen but is there not a rule that if you are called up for your country that takes priority and if you don’t go your country you are suspended ?

If all 4 clubs are in the finals ( even if just the 2 ), I wonder if we will play the Nations Cup with none of these players included ?

42 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think it is plain that, at the moment, British teams are as skillful as other countries but we have a greater fitness, passion and belief.

... could be because 'British teams' have lots of players from 'other countries'

could be because 'British teams' have lots of players from 'other countries'

That is obviously a big part of it but we have for so long been seen as a less than artisan football nation, and justifiably so at times, but that is all changing. And the spectators are accepting that style of football rather that the longer ball less patient game. But the added ingredient recently has been the one that Klopp and Pep have discovered in this country.

Certainly the young English players are as good as anyone else is producing in the world at the moment. The sheer amount of talent in the England teams from U17 up to U21 is massive. There could be a bright future for English football. 

Personally I think it’s fair enough. I’d agree (and I’m sure the players would) that it’s better for the players to play the nations league games early and then have all summer off. Most clubs have a wide range of nationalities playing for them, so it doesn’t really prejudice one particular nation. Nations league really is not important and it’s basically a friendly competition - if a few English players are a bit tired or don’t play because they’ve played in a champions league final then so be it.

Wow and now Arsenal and Chelsea have to travel to Baku in Azerbaijan for the Europa League final. 

Will common sense prevail, and move it to Wembley?   No, of course it won't. 

Baku.jpg

Edited by Surfer

22 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Wow and now Arsenal and Chelsea have to travel to Baku in Azerbaijan for the Europa League final. 

Will common sense prevail, and move it to Wembley?   No, of course it won't. 

Baku.jpg

Nothing to do with common sense. The contracts are signed, thousands of tickets are accounted for and plenty of hotel rooms are booked.

From what I've heard, Baku's economy is based on oil and gas, it's becoming like a mini Dubai.  Those UEFA 'executives' will have a wonderful time, while the fans can't get a ticket. 

15 hours ago, splendidrush said:

From what I've heard, Baku's economy is based on oil and gas, it's becoming like a mini Dubai.  Those UEFA 'executives' will have a wonderful time, while the fans can't get a ticket. 

Yes, has been for almost 100 years. It’s why the Germans invaded the Caucasus region in WWII and why the Soviet’s dug in at Stalingrad. 

Hitler wanted to gain control over Baku’s crude oil fields and Stalingrad was the transshipment point for that crude oil via the Volga into Russia. 

The Germans failed, so Russia won their war.