Sign in to follow this  
Paul Green

Ashton's departure, a blessing in disguise?

before anybody starts ranting on let it be none that I do not want to see Deano going anywhere as in 30 odd years of following city I feel he is the best signing we have ever made, but (and it''s a big but) the silver lining could be that with the 6 plus million coming our way there should be a little left over to pay up worthy''s contract.

A great performance yesterday but how long before we are back to the dross we have seen this season?

if he goes:

a) 25% goes to Crewe and the club would probably store the rest anyway for financial "stability".
b) Worthy wouldnt go.
c) We could use the money to buy a few class players. but i am very worried about Worthys transfers after the summer. However he does seem to do better in January - McKenzie, Svennson, Huckerby, Ashton. 

I am not sure how good it will be. Could be great, could be very bad

Visionary stuff. So we end up with no 20-goal striker and no manager. And that''s forward progress how?

However you look at it Ashton going would be a big blow, I cannot see any logic in the argument that it would be good for the club. Any decent replacement would cost the same and if they cost less they would be less good which isn''t much use to us.

I have said it before, but our malaise is nothing to do with the squad we have. Its about tactics, organisation, discipline and basic coaching. We saw between 4.05pm and 4.50pm on saturday what the team can do- now we need more of that rather than the inadequate stuff we got between 3pm and 3.45pm. So, the players can do it, but why do they not do it?

Swap Ashton for 3 or 4 substandard fill-ins? No thanks.

I am no Worthy fan by any stretch of the imagination but I do find myself defending him a great deal lately because some of the criticism aimed at him is unjustified.

No offence Northern but I am pretty sure you were amongst a group of posters who before the season started told me that thanks to the signings Worthy made this summer we had a better squad than the one which finished last season in the Premiership.  Lets be honest, people were more than happy with the signings in the summer and it was the same the season before.  Anyway who says they were unhappy when we signed Helveg, Bentley and Jonson are lying.  

Ok this season''s summer buys have not met expectations but we have to take some of the blame.  We had unfair, high expectations of these players which quite honestly they could never have lived up too.  People were saying that Colin was better than Eddy and Helveg, Jarrett was better than Francis.  The truth is they are not but neither the players themselves or Worthy claimed that they were.

People complain and say that Worthy doesn’t care what the fans think and sometimes I am glad of that.  Take Etuhu, this season and last fans have been suggesting him as a player we should sign.  Worthington signs him and after two games the fans are saying it’s another poor Worthy signing.  What can Worthy do?  He signs the players WE want and he still gets stick for it!

It''s a good point Saint. I remember being desperate for us to sign Mark

Rivers a good two year before we did. When we did i was jumping through

hoops. And he turned out to be one of the most frustrating players

we''ve ever signed!