Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

McNally Tweets!

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

My memory plainly wrong. McNally didn't say Smith and Jones had asked to be repaid. But the point remains that Smith and Jones, and Foulger, would hardly have agreed to take their money back if they had thought it would have made a significant difference to what was spent on the squad. In all it was just under £2m - £1.52m to S&J and £0.46m to Foulger.

And for McNally to blame a lack of cash for failing to upgrade in central defence runs directly counter to his own lengthy explanation given much earlier in a interview (with the Little Bird Project, I think) in which he said a deal, including the transfer fee, had been agreed with a top Italian club, and personal terms agreed with the player (Koulibaly possibly), only for the deal to fall through at the last minute because the selling club could not find a replacement. Nothing to do with Norwich City not having the cash to spend.

Although he didn’t say they had asked for their money. He’d have known but not saying they hadn’t would lead everyone to the assumption they had. 

I liked McNally a lot when he was at Norwich. But his brief excursions onto Twitter have shown he should steer clear of social media. 

I think he’s effectively taken early retirement now so not too surprised he hasn’t popped up anywhere. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

With the salary he had at Norwich and the pay off when he left, he quite likely never needs to work again.

How much was he on and how much was his pay off?

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:
3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

With the salary he had at Norwich and the pay off when he left, he quite likely never needs to work again.

How much was he on and how much was his pay off? 

Don't know his salary, but his pay off was reportedly £1.4 million.  Alright for some,.....

Happy to continue to "lord" it around town on his nights out and tweeting - good on self-publicity as learnt from his marketing days.  Could do a job though if he put his mind to it and stayed off the sauce.

18 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Not bad but can’t retire on that after the lovely tax people have had their chunk

His salary was reportedly above half a million a year, and he received a half million pound bonus for getting promoted. All in all I doubt it's unrealistic to suppose he took north of £5 million out of the club in his near 7-year tenure. Even after HMRC have had their cut of the pie, it's a heck of a lot of cash. I doubt he was earning pennies at Celtic and Fulham, so I think it's fair to assume he doesn't have to work again if he doesn't wish.

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Happy to continue to "lord" it around town on his nights out and tweeting - good on self-publicity as learnt from his marketing days.  Could do a job though if he put his mind to it and stayed off the sauce.

By all accounts it wasn't just the sauce he needed to stay off.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Don't you just hate it when others are obviously in the know and all you can do from a distance is read between the lines of what others are saying (not too difficult when they call McNally "shagger" on Twitter) to guess at his other "frailties"!  

Couldn't find 'shagger' in my Shorter Oxford but 'shag' seems to refer to matted hair or a cormorant.  Still confused .....

27 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

.....Scampi?.....

35 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Seems these accounts need publishing too!

Without David McNally there would no longer be a Norwich City team for us to discuss. Glad that he still follows the club he saved and happy to read his tweets. 

18 minutes ago, Norfolk Dumpling said:

Without David McNally there would no longer be a Norwich City team for us to discuss. 

You don't think Delia and Michael would have been able to steer the ship through troubled waters then and we would have sunk without trace ? I bet Nutty would disagree. 😜

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

You don't think Delia and Michael would have been able to steer the ship through troubled waters then and we would have sunk without trace ? I bet Nutty would disagree. 😜

Sadly, no. The finance was in shreads and it was his skills and financial knowledge which saved the club. Delia and Michael are fully aware of that but as others have said there came a time to move on from McNally's work. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Cmon then, enlighten us. 'All accounts' infers that there is more than one. Pray tell.

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I don't know why I seem to be the only person who can separate owning the club from running the club.

The owners have been at the helm throughout the good times and bad and even a gathering at St Andrews Hall failed to shift them. That's what good owners do. Success in football is cyclical and a stable club has more chance of success.  As we have proved with four promotions to the PL during their ownership.

Aren't we all glad attempts to remove them failed👍🙃

14 minutes ago, Norfolk Dumpling said:

Sadly, no. The finance was in shreads and it was his skills and financial knowledge which saved the club. Delia and Michael are fully aware of that but as others have said there came a time to move on from McNally's work. 

ND, Nothing to do with Mr Bowkett then?

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't know why I seem to be the only person who can separate owning the club from running the club.

Yeah but when things go wrong the buck so i have been told stops at the top.

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I know you believe that. But then if you'd had your way the owners would have been gone in 2009. What would have happened next....

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I know you believe that. But then if you'd had your way the owners would have been gone in 2009. What would have happened next....

So you must be saying praise them at times like this but let them off the hook when things go badly wrong as they did in 2009. I think i was one of 500 plus at St Andrews Hall which you surely mean by ' if you'd had your way ' who raised a hand as a show of no confidence in the board at the time.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

You really don't understand the law of defamation at all.

56 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Please tell Theresa May that TIL (wrong thread I know).

31 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So you must be saying praise them at times like this but let them off the hook when things go badly wrong as they did in 2009. I think i was one of 500 plus at St Andrews Hall which you surely mean by ' if you'd had your way ' who raised a hand as a show of no confidence in the board at the time.

No, I believe they own the club in good times and bad. Which is what good owners do. It's you that confuses that with running the club.

As for 2009 I raised my hand against the board. It was only later nCIsA people claimed I voted against the owners. I see now it's back to the board which is what I always said.

Anyway, just for old times sake, if the owners had been chased out, what would have happened next? 

Yep you raised your hand against the board which was what the vote was about. Was there a vote for Delia to quit because if there was that passed me by ?

You cannot chase out majority shareholders unless they sell up so that was never going to happen which makes your question unanswerable.

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yep you raised your hand against the board which was what the vote was about. Was there a vote for Delia to quit because if there was that passed me by ?

You cannot chase out majority shareholders unless they sell up so that was never going to happen which makes your question unanswerable.

It would have saved me a lot of hassle if you'd backed me up over that at the time🙃

Anyway, it's a good job our owners couldn't have been chased out. I'm sure you agree👍