Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Timm Klose set to stay on for next season...

According to the EDP this morning, and as they play things pretty safe, I think itโ€™s fair to say that Timm will be with us next season. Very happy with this news! ๐Ÿ†

• Like 1

Thatโ€™s great news, real quality guy and good to have in our squad.

Good news. I think he will he used more next season. Is also good insurance in case a big bid comes in for Godfrey.

Yes, good news. Experienced defender and good guy all round, important to have in the squad!

Very pleased with this! Gives us the option of playing three at the back, which we might use more often in the Prem,ย as well as having cover for whoever gets the nod next year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Very pleased with this! Gives us the option of playing three at the back, which we might use more often in the Prem,ย as well as having cover for whoever gets the nod next year.

Agree, a 3 of Zimbo, Godfrey and Klose with wing backs could work.ย 

• Like 1

Fantastic news. We don't want to have a higher than necessary turnover of players which may disrupt team harmony, so keeping hold of the players we want to keep- especially the big characters in the dressing room- is essential.

The worry I had about Klose was that he may have left in search of regular first team football in a tournament year as he is always in and out of the Swiss squad so really needs to be playing. But it does appear that he genuinely loves it here, so it looks like that has won through.

Good news.ย  I still think we might be in for another defender, possibly that Barbet chap.ย  Don't be surprised to see Hanley going ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Agree, a 3 of Zimbo, Godfrey and Klose with wing backs could work.ย 

That would actually be an awesome option because Godfrey could seamlessly step forward into the midfield giving us a 4 5 1 again depending on the game situation. I'm not sure which of the other midfielders would make way out of our current lineup. At the moment we often play like a 3 1 5 1 with the fullbacks operating on the wings and the CDM dropping into the back 3 anyway. Starting with 3 at the back would arguably be equivalent to playing Godfrey as CDM.ย 

56 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Good news.ย  I still think we might be in for another defender, possibly that Barbet chap.ย  Don't be surprised to see Hanley going ๐Ÿ˜‰

Agree with that, Hanley has been left behind as the season progressed, not all his fault but the sending off didn't help. However, he won't go unless we've got someone else in the door.ย 

36 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Agree with that, Hanley has been left behind as the season progressed, not all his fault but the sending off didn't help. However, he won't go unless we've got someone else in the door.ย 

Heโ€™s only been left behind because of the form of Zimbo and Godfrey.

Would Barbet be an upgrade on Hanley (doubt it), does Hanley seem like the kind of guy that Webber and Farke refer to wanting (yes) so although itโ€™s not beyond the realms of possibility, Iโ€™d personally be surprised to see Hanley go and replaced by someone else.

I suspect if Klose signs again we will get a RB and that will be in defensively (other than outs,ย ie Pinto and Passlack).

• Like 2

It's believed that he was one of the high wage players, yet we didn't kick him out with the other 'stars' and now we are going to keep him for the Premiership, maybe he's on a lower wage then most thought.

As good as the form of Zimbo and Godfrey has been this season the number of goals conceded from poor marking from crosses (both set pieces and open play) remains an issue. Both occasionally get caught under the ball and I can see us playing with three at the back or even bringing in Klose for certain games next season where we are facing more of an aerial threat.ย 

45 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

ย 

Well of course, he started the season, Captain and first pick, now he's fourth choice. Not good in 9 months, he'll want games and we can't give him that, so even if we want to keep him, he might want a move anyway.ย 

23 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's believed that he was one of the high wage players, yet we didn't kick him out with the other 'stars' and now we are going to keep him for the Premiership, maybe he's on a lower wage then most thought.

Given the price we paid for him, I imagine he was earning a decent wage in line with the other high earners. Maybe he was deemed indispensable at the start of last season and again at the start of this one, and when combined with the fact that he doesn't have attitude problems like Naismith, Oliveira etc. (in fact it's the total opposite) he was regarded as 'worth it'.

My prediction is by the 1st game of the season he will be in the starting 11. Quality Premiership CB as proved after his few games with us in the Premiership. His injury at Palace = relegation.ย 

• Like 1

I'd like to think the majority of high earners are on their way now - Naismith, Jarvis, Pinto, Wildschut.

Any new contracts we offer will be on the club's terms, not the player's.ย  I think the first evidence we saw of that was Tettey's new contract last year, and I guess McGovern's was another.ย  I bet they're not on the same high terms they were offered when they joined.

However, despite the dramatic 'exclusive' and headline, I didn't read anything in the article from Klose or his agent.ย  I'm sure talks have been happening, mainly waiting to see which division we'd be playing in.ย  This is also an important contract for Klose - he's 30 now, so we'll probably only offer a 2 year one with survival and relegation clauses in it.ย  On his day, he's our best centre half, not the quickest, but I think him and Godfrey are our best 2 CBs.

1 hour ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Would Barbet be an upgrade on Hanley (doubt it), does Hanley seem like the kind of guy that Webber and Farke refer to wanting (yes) so although itโ€™s not beyond the realms of possibility, Iโ€™d personally be surprised to see Hanley go and replaced by someone else.

I suspect if Klose signs again we will get a RB and that will be in defensively (other than outs,ย ie Pinto and Passlack).

I don't think Hanley fits our style, I don't think he's comfortable enough with the ball. I can't remember what game it was (either early on in the season or the sending off, my memory fails me) but he played repeated hospital passes to his CB partner and GK. In my opinion he's not good enough at the style we want, for himย be a starter and I'm not sure that he would want to be 4th choice (isn't that why he left Newcastle?).

ย 

Edit - On the actual subject. Good news on Klose. Good player.

Edited by All the Germans

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I don't think Hanley fits our style, I don't think he's comfortable enough with the ball. I can't remember what game it was (either early on in the season or the sending off, my memory fails me) but he played repeated hospital passes to his CB partner and GK. In my opinion he's not good enough at the style we want, for himย be a starter and I'm not sure that he would want to be 4th choice (isn't that why he left Newcastle?).

ย 

Edit - On the actual subject. Good news on Klose. Good player.

Maybe, but nextย season weโ€™ll be doing a lot of defending and in some games we might need a Hanley type more than a Godfrey type....

If Timm is indeed close to staying on at the club then for me it will be one of the best new signings we could ever hope to make this summer. Still a decent age, only just turning 31, he loves the club, the area and its people, he has never made a secret of that.ย  Always given his best on the pitch, including at times a bit of a sticky period in that first Championship season, he will likely be called upon to play his part again in the coming season. Indeed, for me, Godfrey, Zimbo, Klose and yes, Hanley to, are as good a quartet of centre backs as we could possibly have at this moment in time.

A big guy with a big personna thats so endearing to most of us City fans, we are going to truly miss him when he leaves. Happily it seems that day is a ways off still. Great news.

• Like 1

Yes, had we remained in The Championship this season I image Klose may well have had to part ways (for financial reasons and for his career), but he did well in his brief stint during our last spell in the Premiership and I think his experience will be invaluable next year. Depending on who we might sign over the summer, I, too, wouldn't be surprised to see him reinstated as one of the first-choice centre-backs.ย 

It will be superb news when this is confirmed.

With such a small fixture list injuries to key areas can really hurt, so four men with plenty of appearances in the championship and premiership is a good thing for the centre back pairing.

Experience, composure and ability was clear to all when he had his first prem. Season. We will need these four throughout the year, all have experience and ability for this division.

I think a lot of people forget Hanley almost got POTS in 2017/18 and he was a superb leader. I do think he can adapt to the style and do the job, I'd we get that CDM position right it can take a lot of pressure off. He can then do what he does best, disrupt the attacker and challenge a forward in every scenario.

I believe we have a key area sewn up and funds can be used in other key areas of our defensive group.

RB cover, 2nd choice keeper and, most importantly, defensive central midfield position. Get these signings right and we will have excellent cover across this group.

Can be measured by us signing him in the next week or so on a 'free'... presuming he was not with us, as by June 30th he won't be.

excellent player that will cost us realitively little bar wages, which would be paid whoever we sign

and you know I wouldn't be able to resist this ๐Ÿ˜‹

2 mins.25 secs

ย 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bill said:

Can be measured by us signing him in the next week or so on a 'free'... presuming he was not with us, as by June 30th he won't be.

excellent player that will cost us realitively little bar wages, which would be paid whoever we sign

and you know I wouldn't be able to resist this ๐Ÿ˜‹

2 mins.25 secs

ย 

I never ever ever tire of that young Bill!ย 

And I think you've found a few of those Town Criers...

Really good to see him want to stay, if true, and also agree with others that he'll likely get more game time next season.

A lesson learned from letting Malky go back in 04, much has been made of the contribution that players like Klose, Rhodes and Ivo have made to our youngsters this season. He'll be valuable next year whether he is playing or not, I don't know how much he will cost but, given his influence around the place and if DF/SW think he is worth another 2 years, that's fine with me.ย