Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Tricky summer ahead

I dont envy Webber and Farke. Because once the hangovers ease they have a heck of a tricky summer to navigate. 

Our last promotions show us two things 

1. Destroying a winning team is a bad idea - second season under Lambert

2. Not spending enough is suicide in the prem- we were skinflints last time up and it cost us dear. 

This leads me to conclude that whilst we have a good platform on which to build- we really must show the necessary ambition to improve (without destroying) this side which did so well this year.  

My own subjective opinion as a fan (accepting Webber knows more than me!) is that our squad can be broken up as follows. 

NOT NEEDED or CONTRACT ENDING: 

Srbeny,  Pinto, Marshall, Husband, Olive, Jarvis, Franke, Naismith, Yanic, Ragget, Rhodes, Passlack 

KEEP FOR FIRST TEAM: 

Godfrey, Klose, Zimmo, Lewis, Aarons, Vrancic, Leitner, Stieperman, Onel, Buendia, Pukki, 

KEEP AS BACK UP:

Krul, McGovern, Hanley, Heise,  Tettey, Trybull, McClean, Cantwell, 

SEND ON LOAN:

Louis Thompson, Morris, Mourgos, Abrahams 

CONCLUSION

I might be being a little harsh on some of those placed on backup list. Especially Trybull (when on form he is good enough but is inconsistent) but overall I dont think this is far out. 

I would 

SELL:  Hanley 

BUY OR LOAN:  

First team: GK, CB, CDM

Back up: ST, LW, RB

If we re-loaned Passlack and Rhodes we would only need purchase 4 players. 

I would suggest i is probably not as tricky as it might seem.

We have been told that players have already been targeted, so it is merely a case of getting them here *

Previous faults lie not so much in our lack of spending, but in that money being 'wrongly' spent.

This I suspect won't be the case this time.

* getting them over the line, do keep up with the hip jive daddio

• Like 1

Meant to also say don’t think it will be a difficult summer for them as you would expect they already know who is coming. 

Bill is right. On previous occasions we had obvious discrepancies ie no striker or no central defender. 

This season we had competition all over. We need to replicate that. 

On another occasion we tried to play different to the squads strength - Hughton. 

Finally, as squad players and team leaders it was a mistake to let the likes of Malky and Iwan go. 

Next season our first team, being young, will need the experienced support to cope with weeks of negative results or no games. 

I think this season has proven the vital mental approach to the game. 

there are elements of truth to both points of us either spending too much or not enough.

It was clear that under both Alex Neil and Chris Hughton (relegation seasons) we missed out on target a and ended up wasting money on panic buy alternatives, especially in the January.

What I do hope happens is that we pay the going rate early doors and get the deals done without too much messing around. Perhaps now we are a bit more clever with scouting and not just shooting the moon going for Toby Alderweireld or VVD we might have more chance or getting our main targets sorted straight away. What we do have is a strong basis without even making a signing. The two loans we did have were both bit part and wont really be missed and we have nobody big that we will lose on a Bosman provided Timm signs a new deal. Even then, we are well stocked at the back. Hopefully we get the main business sorted nice and early and then maybe add a loan or something for a sprinkle of quality from a big side towards the end once they have decided what youngsters need to go out on loan.

33 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Meant to also say don’t think it will be a difficult summer for them as you would expect they already know who is coming. 

They will know who they want, but they won’t be sure if they can get them all yet. Players, clubs and agents will all be weighing up their options and many won’t commit to a transfer this early in the close season. 

This will be a tricky summer for the club, as promotion always presents difficult choices for teams. It won’t just be new signings, but also in contract negotiations for existing players. You don’t want to commit to big pay rises and long deals for players who may never be able to make the step up. You also have to consider the very real possibility that Norwich go straight back down and they’ve handed out a bunch of contract extensions to players who are now the wrong side of the age curve and are impossible to shift off the books. 

Also I'd say the recruitment/scouting/statistical analysis team are probably going to get a pretty decent promotion bonus - let's face it, they've earned it ! 

And right now I'm sure they're loving the chance to do that process at a higher level, I expect they started a while back TBH.

Also TBH if there's one guy I'd trust to get the contract side (relegation clauses etc) dealt with sensibly, it's SW.  You can't be 100% successful with any recruitment, but I'm not worried about a repeat of the Naismith fiasco.

We definitely need a striker - if Rhodes doesn't stay, we are one injury from Srbeny, Morris or Idah being our main striker.

Having rewatched the highlights of the Villa at home game I see no reason why we wouldn't buy Rhodes, other than the price being too high.

We'd still need another striker, but I have confidence in DF and SW. We must be getting a name for rescuing players' careers.

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

BUY OR LOAN:  

First team: GK, CB, CDM

Added to Godfrey, Klose & Zimbo - I make that 4 centre backs in your first team. Farke to use rotation next season?

Relegation clauses will be easier to incorporate into player contracts next season, unlike under Neil with the likes of Naismith and Klose. We can offer good salaries and insert these clauses to most of our squad. However if we are relegated those that impress will be be approached by PL teams and probably be lured away for big money and with parachute money we can rebuild probably not as well as this season.

I don't think its that tricky. I think most fans accept that we won't be spending huge amounts of money, in fact most of us want to see this team given a go at prem level. 

Personally I think that most of our issues/weaknesses can be remedied through coaching/training ground work rather than needing changes in personnel so that is Farke's biggest challenge.

As for Webber, his biggest challenge may come if we get a big bid for one of the youngsters but other than that I think he will be looking to bring in 4/5 modest signings, probably of the sort we made last summer but a notch up. Players with something to prove and for whom its a step up so they will be hungry. Personally, I would sign Rhodes as the 3rd choice striker, bring in another to compete with Pukki, bring in another more athletic keeper to compete with Krul and then look for another quick wing option and a defensive midfielder who perhaps combines the attributes of Tettey and Trybull would probably be the main area where I might spend some money.

• Like 1

It's going to be a tricky summer trying to get the players (especially Kenny McLean) back and sober from their epic, alcohol-fuled bender. I hear they have a 6 week rehab program scheduled for June/July but they are not hopeful about locating all of the players in time; some of them were last spotted entering a yellow submarine by Carrow Bridge after the game on [Monday].

Edited by Petriix
  • Haha 2

Conceding from set pieces is a concern for us and something needs to be done in that area, whether it's another defensive midfielder or CB, or both.

I would be disappointed if we came back in August and had 5-6 new players starting. So no large recruitment needed in my opinion just a ticking over in the right areas.

Definitely need another striker, without TP we will be toast.

My guess is that we keep Rhodes for another season to use as a sub when we are chasing the game.  Srbeny probably not good enough for the Prem so I think another striker to come in as competition for Pukki.  Obviously it depends on other offers, who the scouting team have their eye on etc.

I think the DMC is an important one. I don't think Tettey will be the solution as back up for Trybull or main competitor... I was impressed by Etebo at Stoke...wouldn't mind him in a yellow and green jersey!

The striker is a difficult one too, as it will cost us some money and I don't think Srbeny is up to the PL. Maybe SW and the scouting staff can come up with another gem? Otherwise I reckon signing Rhodes is not a bad move.

Rhodes is a conundrum for me. He won’t come cheap and yet he is settled into the squad. We could easily spend more and end up with worse or less and get something better...all to do with who is a possible replacement 

I think there are some obvious areas that need strengthening/supporting, e.g. RB, but it's not so obvious where we will do that from, i.e. promote from within/loan/sign

I think that our first team is in good condition, so I'd like us to just make sure we have 2 of each position that are capable of competing for their place in the team

I don't care how much we spend.

For the first time ever I have confidence the club will get the best possible improvements in without risking the club's long term future.

If it's not enough, so be it, but I don't think the bottom of the prem is full of quality. Look at Brighton, Glenn Murray, knockaert, good players but if we bought either I'm not sure anyone would be impressed.

Southampton, strikers Shane long, Charlie Austin? Player of season Nathan Redmond?

I'm confident we can be better than atleast 3 clubs.

I like the way Stuart Webber wants to approach things , but he will have to make some very shrewd signings if they are to be a hit in the Premier League. 
Just signing on the cheap won't be enough in my honest opinion, but I like the crop of players we have and we don't have to splash out either. But I am a little worried though, as we will need some good players coming in who will have to be PL level ! Just to be able to stay up... Just look at the transfer rumours over the past few days... We are linked with Hayden , but he will cost us at least 7m pounds... I mean that shows you

I think whoever SW brings in, people are going to be disappointed, no one was excited about Buendia arriving last year, mainly because no one knew who he was. 

There will be some people who get all Billy big chips about the fact that we're in the Premiership and should be buying this player and that player for millions. 

The media have us linked with anybody with two feet atm, but it's unlikely Webber will be shouting from the rooftops about his dealings. 

With the playoffs still to come, the silly season is barely under way,  this thread has miles left in it.

No doubt between now and August we will be linked to dozens of guys, 95% of whom will be totally wide of the mark. Looking at how Heise was bought in Jan. when he was up to be bought this summer im sure SW already has a good idea who he thinks could be good and / or available for the club in the coming weeks, most of whom wont  be ever mentioned by the media. After the huge change in player personnel of the last couple of summers this summer will maybe only see 3 or 4 new faces coming in. The outgoings would seem pretty obvious to most i suppose, Pinto was the first and Oiveira, Yanic, Husband along with likely Marshall and Raggett will need to be sorted .

Would love us to sign Jordan, Srbeny is a conundrum, just cant decide on him. In midfield i guess Harrison Reed's name will be a constant pop up name, hes been given 2 full seasons in the Champs and has shown to be a good player. Surely its time he, and his parent club, decided a proper and definite plan on his immediate future. All in all, for the most part, we have a squad that does not need dismantling like last time, and who have given us one of the best seasons in the clubs history. If anything is "tricky" it will be mild compared to the massive overhauls SW has had to deal with the last 2 summers...and which have turned to be hugely successful and brought the club and fans together in a way that seemed unimaginable even 9 months ago.

• Like 1

It's gonna be tough but not as tough as last Summer surely? We don't need to sell, so it's just a case of bringing in 2, maybe 3 and getting rid of the remaining dead wood.

Rhodes is an odd one isn't he. Removing the emotional stuff (nice bloke etc) I actually think he'd do quite well in the Premiership. He's got many of the attributes needed but he's expensive. However, it's clear he'd sign if he could and it's clear that his parent club are a little bit skint. He'd be brilliant as a squad player. I'd play hard ball to go and get him! Offer some cheeky deal to "take him off their hands". Nobody really in the Championship can afford to buy him so it'll likely be another loan option next year otherwise.

• Like 1