Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Time to put our feet up.....

....... and watch the also rans scrap for the final promotion place. It also gives the club a four week advantage in knowing where we will be playing next season to work on whose in and out.

As to that it seems the club are going to continue to aim for 'value for money' on any incoming players. This will mean developing players with potential rather than buying (expensive) 'ready made' players ie those who can slot straight into a PL team.

Among the many things that have been impressive his season has been the way certain players have improved. Steipermann and Vrancic looked like bit players, there to make up the weight. Similarly Zimmerman. None were an immediate hit as were Trybull and Buendia. But they have now certainly surpassed the quality of the likes of Brady and Pritchard - who gave the impression that they did not want to be here.

And that is the key. You won't win anything with players who are not committed (Fulham 6-0, 2005) From the '59 cup run to Saunders team it has been success from committed players, not stars. Those are the players who go that extra yard, that extra minute and don't accept defeat.

So it is time for a breather for us supporters as well - after what has been one of our all time great seasons. So time to watch and enjoy Villa and WBA tear into each other, as will the 'dirty' Leeds and Frank's Derby. And below them, Pompey v Sunderland. A clash of lower league dreadnoughts. - that should remind us how thankful we are to get out of those murky waters at the first go.

Time for us to be 'on the beach' until August, methinks.

23 hours ago, Bill said:

... it has been success from committed players, not stars. Those are the players who go that extra yard, that extra minute and don't accept defeat.

This...This is what I look for in young players when I’m watching at try-outs. 

I can coach skills. I can coach vision. I can coach decision making under pressure and I can coach team work. What I can’t coach is fight.

One year I was watching at tryouts and I saw a kid take the ball effortlessly off another. The player who lost the ball went down in the process. No foul. It was a fair challenge. The other coaches were in awe of how smooth the player won the ball. I was in awe of the player who got back up and chased down the other player and although didn’t win the ball back with an individual effort, disrupted the play and his side won the ball back.

I picked the player who went down and got back up to keep fighting for my team.

Over the next year he developed as a ‘player’ and won his spot on the first team.

I will take a drive to fight for the ball, over technique - as long as the player possess at least the basic skill set - 7 times out of 10. 

Any coach will tell you, you can’t coach a player to ‘want it’. That must come from within.

Edited by CirclePoint

57 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Are you related to Parma ?

err nu

poor parma actually waffles the opposite

and chunters on about formations etc

circle point is pretty much on the button in his general view

1 hour ago, Bill said:

err nu

poor parma actually waffles the opposite

and chunters on about formations etc

circle point is pretty much on the button in his general view

I know, I wasn’t serious 😉

On 06/05/2019 at 18:12, Bill said:

So it is time for a breather for us supporters as well - after what has been one of our all time great seasons. So time to watch and enjoy Villa and WBA tear into each other, as will the 'dirty' Leeds and Frank's Derby. And below them, Pompey v Sunderland. A clash of lower league dreadnoughts. - that should remind us how thankful we are to get out of those murky waters at the first go.

No one said anything about watching two of the best semi final games, as well

What a season 👏

On 06/05/2019 at 22:55, splendidrush said:

I'm all footballed out, give me a week and I'll be back, looking forward to the new season. 

how's the week off footy going?

On 07/05/2019 at 17:22, CirclePoint said:

This...This is what I look for in young players when I’m watching at try-outs. 

I can coach skills. I can coach vision. I can coach decision making under pressure and I can coach team work. What I can’t coach is fight.

One year I was watching at tryouts and I saw a kid take the ball effortlessly off another. The player who lost the ball went down in the process. No foul. It was a fair challenge. The other coaches were in awe of how smooth the player won the ball. I was in awe of the player who got back up and chased down the other player and although didn’t win the ball back with an individual effort, disrupted the play and his side won the ball back.

I picked the player who went down and got back up to keep fighting for my team.

Over the next year he developed as a ‘player’ and won his spot on the first team.

I will take a drive to fight for the ball, over technique - as long as the player possess at least the basic skill set - 7 times out of 10. 

Any coach will tell you, you can’t coach a player to ‘want it’. That must come from within.

All very Wimbledon.