Sign in to follow this  

I have to say I agree. He looked really emotional at the end and, bar an outbound Pinto he was the only one to feature (Ignoring McGovern)... I dunno... it feels like he could be off.

I thought that when I saw his name on the squad lists. Seemed a bit out of place as the only others are kids that have been out injured all season, a player that is leaving and a 2nd/3rd choice keeper.

Of course it might just be the end of an emotional season for a player that played with both Wes and Russ for a long time.

He did look emotional at the end, but believe he has another year left on his contract but maybe he’s considering leaving? 

Whilst it is a little odd he played as you’ve said, he played with Wes and Russ for years so maybe he just really wanted to be part of it 

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Why?

As others have said, he was very emotional and he waved, probably a goodbye wave, to the crowd.

He is under contract for another year but with the promotion I did wonder if his position is one we'd be looking to strengthen. We're loaded in the middle of midfield as it is and I think we all know that Webber will want to have as many young players in the team as possible.

If it is the case then playing a big part in a promotion season isn't a bad way to end a good career here.

Tettey's the longest serving player with seven seasons. Ruddy and Bradley Johnson were sitting on the bench (as they've got games at the weekend) and Howson was playing (since Boro didn't make the playoffs), which goes to show the lengths that the guys who played with Russ and Wes for so long would go to.

I don't see Tettey going though, unless he's been told that he'd be third choice defensive midfielder and he wants more game time at 33. But even then, I'd thought one of the main reasons he'd signed the new contract was that they weren't large offers elsewhere, and I'd have expected his wages to go up again in the Premiership.

Thought he looked very decent against Villa (though his poor old legs couldn't propel him fast enough when he was put through). As a backup DM I think he's well worth keeping.

I too had a funny feeling this maybe his last appearance in a City shirt after watching that. But to be fair, I think if Tett’s was moving on then this would have been announced alongside the Pinto news so supporters would get the chance to give him a send off today too. So for that reason, I fully expect him to be here next season. The younger lads have done great, but I do think we will also need some experienced heads around the place for the Premier League.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I’d be crying and emotional if I played a football game after what looks like two days of solid drinking. 

All I can say is it's a bloody good job McLean didn't have to play today! Not seen him without a drink in hand for past 24 hours!

33 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I’d be crying and emotional if I played a football game after what looks like two days of solid drinking. 

I thought he was drunk, at one point he was jogging round aimlessly just laughing......perhaps he’s auditioning for a playing role at Ipswich (R)?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I too had a funny feeling this maybe his last appearance in a City shirt after watching that. But to be fair, I think if Tett’s was moving on then this would have been announced alongside the Pinto news so supporters would get the chance to give him a send off today too. So for that reason, I fully expect him to be here next season. The younger lads have done great, but I do think we will also need some experienced heads around the place for the Premier League.

Very different situation to Pinto though, who had known he was leaving for a long time. He was given January off to try and find a new club. 

Tettey has a contract and the club can’t just announce he is leaving unless a deal has already been lined up for someone to sign him. 

I suspect if Tettey was waving goodbye or anything, it is more due to the fact he suspects he’ll be third choice defensive midfielder next season and may have to move to play games. I doubt Norwich have sat down with in contract players yet and told them they will or won’t be needed next season. Tettey isn’t an idiot and he knows at 33 he isn’t going to be at Norwich a lot longer. 

It's obvious from his interview at City Hall that he's involved in the planning for each season, his meetings with Webber define the plan. 😀

re McClean, Farke said that he (Farke) had sunk a few beers, but it was hard to keep up with the Scottish lads! 

Will Tettey play much next season? No. Is he good enough to play regularly in the Premier League any more? No. Do I want him to leave? Absolutely not. He was loyal enough to us to sign a new contract when it looked like he was set to leave so unless he wants to go, he stays. Besides, we could do worse than use him as cover, to play in cup games and to mentor the younger members of the squad.

Sentiment should play no part in it. That's what lumbered us with Gunn as a manager.

Tettey will not be up to the rigours of PL football, and whatever back up he offers it will be at the expense of another player in the 25 man squad.

It is most likely that his contract would have been for the Championship, as the likes of Webber would be well aware of what the cost of a contract in the PL would be. This was the set up that moved on Huckerby and also decisely loaned out players who were deemed 'not up to it'.

He's had a good career here and has been model pro and a very reliable player. But if he cannot command a place in a Championship team then why would he be ok for the PL ?

Although I don’t expect Tettey to feature all that much next season, I’d be gutted if he went. He’s a big character in the dressing room. Too many times in the past we have lost big dressing room characters to our detriment.

Although he may not play a huge part on the pitch, I still expect him to have a big part in our club. Especially with the youngsters who would do well to have his experience around the place.

• Like 1

I’m not sure people are drawing the right conclusions here. Ivo had a presentation before the game this afternoon, there was nothing like that for Alex. I’m not saying he will stay, but his participation in the game today isn’t evidence that he’s off imo.

Could it not be that Tettey played today as our longest-serving current player and a long-time colleague and mate of Wes? As opposed to meaning he's off. It would make no sense for us to pay off the year of his contract with his prior premier experience which would certainly mean he could perform a fill-in role for us when needed. I think people are reading too much into him playing today, and hope I'm not wrong.

Given that he's got another year on his contract, I can't see him leaving, he'll be valuable around the changing room and next year we can have another 'testimonial' type game for Alex, give him a good send off and a chance to say goodbye. 

Fingers crossed he'll stay to the end of his contract and will be a valuable, experienced squad player for next season.

And we may need an out-of-this-world screamer to fend off relegation or a even cheeky toe-poke at Old Trafford! 😉

Tettey made 30 appearances this season and was an integral part of the promotion. He only lost his place through injury and (like other key players) could not force his way back into a winning team. Yes, he is the oldest member of the team at 33 and may find himself more peripheral next season; but no, he's not likely to be leaving this summer.