Sign in to follow this  
Alex Harvey-Jones

Why do we keep conceding such early goals??

If you look at the games we''ve played this season we have conceded so many early first half goals making life so much harder for ourselves. It seems that we only wake up and start playing once we have conceded. This I think could be because of one of two things:

1] Worthy/Hughes is not motivating the players from the beginning and they are going onto the pitch with the wrong frame of mind. Only when we concede do they wake up sufficiently to start playing some decent football. However as with Luton and QPR sometimes by that time it is far too late!!

2] The players are so nervous because of our bad start to the season that it takes a goal conceded to settle their nerves and go for it! I can sympathise with this. I played in goal for my uni college and often if I conceded an early goal in an important match it settled my nerves beacause it took some of the pressure off. Obviously making a good save had a similar effect but conceding often made me more determined and made me perform to a higher standard! We need to break this jinx if so of conceding early and keep a clean sheet for once!!

didn''t you know that the players think kick off is at 3.15. When they kick off after conceding a goal they think its the satrt of the match.

We do have to start games far more effectively but sats goal imo was merely as a result of the back four getting used to another set of four players in new positions.  As predicted Flem again sat far too deep and played the opponent onside and from then on it was always likely to be a goal - he had a very shaky opening 15 minutes.

Fortunately from then on Flem improved significantly and doc was the rock we have seen for most of the season, and none of the saints 5 strikers had much opporunity.   Well played both of you.

OTBC

Several people near me in the City stand thought that Sotton were offside. I wouldn''t like to say, because my attention was elsewhere at the vital moment. The defence should have done better in cutting out the cross, and to my mind Greeno should probably have saved the shot. But never mind, it''s all academic as City came up with the perfect response, they could easily have won 6-1.