Sign in to follow this  
Mr Tea

Best season ever ???

Take a look back at it all . Did anyone really see this coming ? 

Dramatic late winners.

New young players and players brought in as bargains.

Golden boot.

Finishing as champions whilst the mob down the road finish bottom .

our ex manager turns up at CR , has a little paddy and gets sent to the stand.

Ive been following Norwich for near 40 years now and put all the above together and this season tops them all for me.

OTBC

• Like 9

It would make a bloody good film, although you would have remind viewers that it was all true. 😀

It’s a tough one because it’s easy to forget the euphoria of the past when you are currently experiencing the same in the present. But I’m fairly sure this has been my favourite season ever, certainly since the early 90’s.

It has certainly been the best from the perspective of what we built.

Just back and watching Sky highlights where they reminded me, Pukki, Stiepermann and Vrancic contributed 50 goals and cost a total of £2 million, yes that’s £2 million for all 3 not each. 

I was thinking something along these lines earlier in the season.

If Disney were to write a plot for a football movie, our season might be rejected as too unrealistic.

• The unfashionable team, finishing below their local rivals for the first time in many years, the financial problems leading to stalwarts and our best players leaving, the loyal owners who've stuck with the team through good times and bad who insist on the idea of a community club;
  • Then forming the rag-tag squad consisting of bargains picked up abroad and academy players with little experience;
  • Leading to the story with the disappointing start to the season, but with promise there, which turns into a triumphant result, accompanied by reluctant praise from all around, despite more fashionable teams hogging most of the media spotlight.

It would never happen in real life...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I'm definitely buying the dvd. 

Will be the best selling Season review ever.

I think the club would be missing a trick not having framed copies of the final table. Us at the top and them at the bottom... 😂

As for the season, I think it’s the most miraculous turnaround in living memory, so would be hard to argue against it being the best season as a fan. Bravo to all.

• Like 1

They have already made an improbable season movie like that - Moneyball (lead actor Brad Pitt) about the equally unfashionable (and yellow and green) Oakland A’s. With no money and a new general manager (Billy Bean) looking for value players using unappreciated stats, they stunk the first half of the season but then went on a record breaking 20 game winning streak to get into the playoffs. They finally lost and most teams stuck with the old way of doing things except the Boston Red Sox who tried to hire Bean, when he turned them down they adopted his tactics anyway - but with a lot more money behind them - and they finally broke the New York Yankees stranglehold and won several baseball championships. 

Red Sox management also bought Liverpool.

So if you haven’t seen it it’s well worth a view. Although it’s a different sport the humility and hard work and rejection by those who say they know better comes through just fine. 

I’ve been an A’s fan for years because they remind me so much of City battling against the odds, including every time they develop a star they lose them to the big boys; but that was some season, almost as good as this one! 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

Certainly, there have been some outstanding seasons in living memory ( some of us are old) but this is the most remarkable of all.

Just enjoy it.

Winning with style and without big money signing. Just incredible.

I think 92/93 still just pips it for me. But that’s perhaps as much me wishing I was a teenager again...

Difficult to compare, but without question to best season in the 25 years I can remember. 

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Can we relax and celebrate yet LDC ? 😉

Lol.

Joking aside, the actual feeling of getting over the line last week and now this today, are the most satisfying feelings you can have as a football fan imo.  You can win in the play offs and at Wembley and it is one short fantastic cup competition and an incredible day out, after a season of scrabbling for a play off place, you could even win a cup final, but the feeling to get deserved automatic promotion over a whole season, be seen as the best team in the division and then become champions is pretty hard to replicate.  It is just fantastic.

If anyone seriously was celebrating promotion before it happened, that is up to them.  I personally love the uncertainty of football and  the not knowing. I'm not a believer that just because you are winning every week that it can't change and things can go sour - just like in our last few seasons that although we weren't near the top, that we might still put a run together and make it. 

Nothing in football is certain. We might get relegated next season we might storm the league and win it.....I would discount nothing at this stage.  I do think though that whatever happens, we will be a breath of fresh air in the cynical world of the PL next season.

To answer the op, this feels so much more special than 92/93, which was amazing...but we didn't win it.  This feels more like getting promoted and then becoming champions in 71/72 which for those that remember it, was maybe the most momentous of seasons in our history.

3 hours ago, Mr Tea said:

Take a look back at it all . Did anyone really see this coming ? 

Dramatic late winners.

New young players and players brought in as bargains.

Golden boot.

Finishing as champions whilst the mob down the road finish bottom .

our ex manager turns up at CR , has a little paddy and gets sent to the stand.

Ive been following Norwich for near 40 years now and put all the above together and this season tops them all for me.

OTBC

Close to 40 yrs for me too....my first season ended with us being relegated from the old division one and ipswich winning the UEFA Cup.....a nice full circle feel to this , could it get any better??

....a European placed finish for us...and back to back relegations for them next season????

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

For the surprise of it all from where we were at the start, definitely one of the best I've witnessed.

The 92/93 though was superb for different reasons. We were in the era when there was not the ludicrous money swishing about and our team could compete with the best. Great time (like now) to be a city fan.

Certainly my favourite season since my first game in 1987.

I enjoyed 88-89 and 92-93(arguably the best 18months ever with the first half of the following season) top of the league at Portman road was a very good season. I enjoyed the novelty of league 1 and up until now the following season was my favourite. Wembley was amazing and the best day but that season promotion was expected.

I don't know if it's just because I'm older, but everything seems more emotional, this season has been perfect results wise but I have never known a season where I have felt so connected to the club,players, other fans, third season feels more personal to me. I have truly loved this season.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I enjoyed 88-89 and 92-93(arguably the best 18months ever with the first half of the following season) top of the league at Portman road was a very good season. I enjoyed the novelty of league 1 and up until now the following season was my favourite. Wembley was amazing and the best day but that season promotion was expected.

I don't know if it's just because I'm older, but everything seems more emotional, this season has been perfect results wise but I have never known a season where I have felt so connected to the club,players, other fans, third season feels more personal to me. I have truly loved this season.

Signed in just to say 'me as well' but I go back to the 71/72 season as a young lad. 92/93 was wonderful but the connection this year (probably because of social media) is the best.

Just check out Twitter now (TalkNorwich).... all the players singing "Teemu Pukki Baby" ( including TP himself) and "City going up and the scum going down" in Haggle is just hilarious. Just wouldn't have felt part of that in the 80's.

Edited by sonyc

15 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Run out of reactions again GWOD. 👍🙂

A fantastic season that exceeded everyone's expectations, but I have to agree with fellow posters that the 92/93 season was our best.

Controversial I know, but this season is no better than 2010-11 under Lambert in my eyes. It's probably about the same, for me.

A team who nobody expected anything from, without any big names: just a load of young, hungry players plucked from obscurity. But they gelled together with a bold, attacking approach, scored loads of late goals, battered Ipswich and held their nerve at the end to clinch promotion.

Two very similar seasons which rank alongside each other at the top. Farke has been phenomenal this season, but let's not allow Lambert's recent past to make us forget what he did in his three years here. Three years of absolute perfection.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

but let's not allow Lambert's recent past to make us forget what he did in his three years here. Three years of absolute perfection.

Sorry but after the stuff that’s been rolling out of PL’s mouth and the Carrow Road incident this year it has indeed tarnished what he did he for me.

he just comes across as a desperate old man with a bitter twist in him.

Unbelievable season. Drove 120 miles to watch the villa game with my dad. Would have gone but he didn’t have enough points and I didn’t fancy sitting on my own on my birthday so I sacrificed the game yesterday. Straight after the celebration ended yesterday I was back in the car to drive nearly 4 hours to be in Norwich today. 3 hours back to Nottingham this eve.

Was worth every second of the drive and even better, we stayed in the stadium hotel and as we checked out this morning, walked almost straight into russ Martin. Great start but even better, got round to car park and the players were arriving at the stadium before going up to city hall. Got the chance to personally thank krul, tetts, Tommy T, super mario and Jamal Lewis before I even started the trek up to city hall. What a day so far. 

Spot of lunch and then start heading towards the ground for wes vs russ to continue the celebration although not convinced some of the players will be able to stand by the time they’re due for the lap of honour!

Edited by kick it off

I wish they still did those mini documentaries, that they did last 1 or 2 seasons.

Behind the scenes this year, would be a brilliant watch.

14 hours ago, Grando said:

I think 92/93 still just pips it for me. But that’s perhaps as much me wishing I was a teenager again...

Well , it most definitely is the best one since the 92/93 season...( same here, I was a teenager then too)... Yet the achievement of being champions , having Golden boot, losing only 5 games , them lot down the road dead last , ... for me it's too difficult to choose between the two...

• Like 1