Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

you can make four signings. Who are they?

I would sign

A better GK - but keep Krul to compete for the jersey (have doubts about his ability in Prem)

A DMC - to replace the ageing Tettey and protect a young defence that will be hammered

A Striker- in case Pukki loses forms or gets injured 

A CB of proven Prem quality - keep Klose, Godfrey and Zimmo and offload Hanley 

Can't argue with any of that, though your reasoning is a touch harsh. We also need a wide man, not sure Onel will make the step up though I'd like to be proved wrong. 

None of the above.

You're making the common mistake of dismantling what we have and what has got us this far.

Trust in Webber & Farke to do the right hting but don't expect the obvious.

• Like 2

Likely to be players we don’t know much about. Krul will be our goalkeeper next year, this was a season to get him upto speed.

I know Farke places a lot of trust in his keepers, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did sign a new (1st choice) keeper. McGovern will be 35 by the start of next season and has signed a new deal, but realistically who would have taken him on as a 1st choice anyway? He possibly thought it was the best for hiss family to take a deal here, at his age.A 35 year old 2nd choice keeper doesn't quite cut it for me though. A lot of Prem Clubs would run with 3 keepers I would imagine so why not have that experience?

Oxborough will be 21 and would not doubt be put out on loan, under that scenario. Not sure , with such a key position, that a 21 year old will be 3rd choice for a Prem team. Mind you if Farke thinks so, then all well and good. 🙂 

26 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

None of the above.

You're making the common mistake of dismantling what we have and what has got us this far.

Nope, just identifying the areas that need looking at. Whether we like it or not, there will be additions. I agree that DF/SW will have this covered and I'm sure that we won't dismantle what got us this far. 

I seriously wouldn't think any of the players need upgrading. None of them. Strengthen the squad, yes, but not upgrades to the main players that have been used this season. The kind of football we play will look even better in the PL than in the championship imo and all we need are additions such as Heisse to come in and be assimilated into the squad. 

It is fairly clear who is surplus to requirements in the squad, so there will be room for new players to come in, but what we have already will be good enough. Even if we got relegated again, I would rather see the same players next season giving it a good go - they deserve it and I think we will be a breath of fresh air to the PL next season. 

• Like 2

The only upgrade I think we need is DMC, however I would also look to strengthen keeper, winger and striker...

If we got relegated ,  then we wouldn't have the same players here, as we do now, so any signings, I am sure, will be in mind for a possible relegation.

I don't agree that with your thoughts that there shouldn't be an upgrade on the current starting XI LDC.

Edited by Crabbycanary3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

The only upgrade I think we need is DMC, however I would also look to strengthen keeper, winger and striker...

Agree with this. Tettey will play a part next season, but at his age he isn’t going to be playing 90 mins week in week out in the prem - and I don’t think we’ve got anyone else who offers us the same defensive protection. If we can find someone who offers Tettey level defensive protection with decent ball playing ability too, I think that’s one area we can upgrade.

Depending on money and targets, we might “combine” the winger and striker so we have a tidy player who can play either wing, up front or in the Stiepermann role. We do need some additions there though however we go about strengthening.

I think Krul will likely be number 1 at the start of next season, but if the right keeper came along at the right price, I imagine we would try to get them.

I predict we will unfortunately lose one or two of our back line, possibly even one of our gifted midfielder.

Historically when the bigger clubs come calling, despite the obvious less chances of appearances with them, players tend to force or want moves. Even if it means giving up the chance to play each and every week with us. 

Look at some of the top 6 -7 clubs in the Premier, they will strengthen, that's for sure and a few of ours will no doubt be looked at for next season or to be coached for the future.

So my four signings would wait until we know who is likely to move on from our first team. 

New RB and CB probably.

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I would sign

A better GK - but keep Krul to compete for the jersey (have doubts about his ability in Prem)

A DMC - to replace the ageing Tettey and protect a young defence that will be hammered

I agree with all of this but we will also need cover for Max and for Hernandez.

OTBC

1 hour ago, East Rider said:

I predict we will unfortunately lose one or two of our back line, possibly even one of our gifted midfielder.

Historically when the bigger clubs come calling, despite the obvious less chances of appearances with them, players tend to force or want moves. Even if it means giving up the chance to play each and every week with us. 

Look at some of the top 6 -7 clubs in the Premier, they will strengthen, that's for sure and a few of ours will no doubt be looked at for next season or to be coached for the future.

So my four signings would wait until we know who is likely to move on from our first team. 

New RB and CB probably.

I don’t see Godfrey or Aarons leaving this year. We don’t need to sell after promotion, so will hold out for big money. I’m not sure clubs will spend huge sums on defenders who have no premier league experience (and in the case of Aarons, no experience at all before this season). 

And let’s remember that Maddison, one of the best players in the championship last season, went to Leicester - not a top 6 big boy - and we had to sell for financial reasons. I can’t see a Leicester type side paying big money on a defender and I can’t see our lads forcing a move to someone else in the mid table/relegation melee. I also can’t see a top 6 side coming in for them this season - not until they’ve proven they’re good enough for the prem.

I’d be more worried about losing them next summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

None of the above.

I don't get why people make unnecessarily critical posts like this. 

Fans are entitled to an opinion and speculate about how we might improve over the summer.

You have some kind of misplaced arrogance to criticize someone and then hide behind DF and SW by making a vague statement that will enable you to be smugly 'proved right' when they buy 'someone' from abroad.

In reply to the OP, I don't think you'll be too far off. I would keep Hanley because I think we might play five at the back on occasions this season, so five centre backs might be needed. I also think we'll need a winger.

2 hours ago, cornish sam said:

I think Tom Trybull has been excellent this season in that position.  Several games I went to he was the stand out man and a bit of an unsung hero.  I think he has the technique and ability to do well in the PL as DMF.  As I said (and I don't expect anyone to agree with me) every one of the players has the ability to step up - most of them have been playing at that level all season anyway, which is why we have done so well.  Several coaches have said we are playing premier league football already.

Maybe the changes will be minimal....

• Like 2

There’s no doubt to stay up we do need to add quality to our squad, but two positions Idah & Ciaren Jones Would be two quality youngsters I would promote to fill our squad.

I have my reservations about Klose staying and I’m really not sure Hanley is good enough for the top flight or right fit for Farkes style, so could see him sold if they price is right to add to that transfer fund.

One only need look at the goals against column to see that we do, indeed, need improvements to survive. There are fine margins in football and whilst I think the present team must be given a good crack at it- much like when we went up with Lambert- we will be in trouble without a handful of players who can solidify us defensively. Hence I think first team quality  GK, CB and CDM bolted onto what we have would give us a great platform to establish ourselves. 

Based on the extremely accurate and realistic football manager, here are my signings:

Pedrag Raijkovic - promising Serbian goalkeeper, good with his feet, would buy in to what we are hoping to achieve playing out from the back. natural successor to Krul. those 2 can fight it out for no.1 and McGovern can cover the cups.

Calum Chambers - not wanted by Arsenal so in he comes. mobile, experienced at pl level and good on the ball. can cover right back as well.

Djibril Sow - 6 foot, mobile centre mid. Tetteys successor (linked with Arsenal in real life though). Had a hand in 8 goals in 25 games this season in the league as well and has plenty of champions league exp.

Phil Foden - loan. City dont need him next year and clearly nobody bigger than us would take him on so in he comes!

Anyway, back to reality and i would suggest those are the types of player we are after but we will have to go for the poor mans version of them all!

I like the sound of the aptly named Kostas Fourtunis though that we have been linked with. He would fit in well from what I have seen (vs Burnley this season mainly) and heard.

On 05/05/2019 at 11:27, Indy said:

There’s no doubt to stay up we do need to add quality to our squad, but two positions Idah & Ciaren Jones Would be two quality youngsters I would promote to fill our squad.

I have my reservations about Klose staying and I’m really not sure Hanley is good enough for the top flight or right fit for Farkes style, so could see him sold if they price is right to add to that transfer fund.

I just think back to how good Klose was when he first joined and how quickly we fell apart when he went off injured vs Palace in that first season. got a feeling he will be very useful in the prem next year especially with how inexperienced our defence is and how notoriously hard it is to integrate defensive signings to a system.

8 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I just think back to how good Klose was when he first joined and how quickly we fell apart when he went off injured vs Palace in that first season. got a feeling he will be very useful in the prem next year especially with how inexperienced our defence is and how notoriously hard it is to integrate defensive signings to a system.

I to feel that after what we saw that year he was an outstanding premier league CH and yes when he went off at Palace we all knew what was coming next. If my memory serves me correctly it was only his injury that stopped the major clubs moving for him. If he signs a new contract I suspect that will be because he feels he will be promoted to number 1 choice. Of course that means that something else will give as if Godfrey was going to be second choice assuming these Manure rumours are true, would we want to follow our own business model of selling at a players maximum value, recalling Webber’s interview where he brought up Villa not selling Grealish. Of course selling your stars does not go down so well with us the fans, however it has 2 advantages 1. Players from other clubs ( and youngsters being touted for our youth projects ) will know we become a stepping stone to the very top so will choose us over the likes of Sheffield Utd and will play if they are the best. 2. Our scouting system is the best model so often any individual sale will be replaced with a cheaper player at least as good, remembering our team and not individual ethos.

Someone with pace to go wide/up front (a la James from Swansea) would be wonderful.

I think we should be able to keep both him and Godfrey happy enough next season. Timm surely knows he can't just walk into any side but he wasn't originally dropped on merit and has been unlucky that we didn't need to change a winning side. I just hope our staff dont have short memories as Timm is still a big player for us.

If he isn't used next season it will be because we have done well and not needed to fall back on him. I suspect we will need his experience at some point though.

On 05/05/2019 at 08:43, lake district canary said:

I seriously wouldn't think any of the players need upgrading. None of them. Strengthen the squad, yes, but not upgrades to the main players that have been used this season. The kind of football we play will look even better in the PL than in the championship imo and all we need are additions such as Heisse to come in and be assimilated into the squad. 

It is fairly clear who is surplus to requirements in the squad, so there will be room for new players to come in, but what we have already will be good enough. Even if we got relegated again, I would rather see the same players next season giving it a good go - they deserve it and I think we will be a breath of fresh air to the PL next season. 

You know what, Lakey, I'm with you on this.

Not from the sentimental 'they've earnt the right to have a stab at it' perspective, but more from a continuity perspective. I don't think we'll be able to pay the kind of money that would bring in players of a calibre to drop straight into this style and system and look a cut above.

You only need to look at our performances last season and then this season to see that this is a complex tactical system requiring outstanding levels of fitness and footballing intelligence, and it's not something that can be picked up overnight. All the players in and around our first team understand all the nuances of the style and tactics that have got us to where we are. I certainly think we need to strengthen the squad (cover/competition at GK, RB, DCM, wing and CF), but superseding any of these players for expensive yet uninitiated 'marquee signings' is likely to do more harm than good.

Priority for me would be a proper defensive midfielder to compete with Trybull for that position, and then, having watched us this season - we really need an out and out winger with pace to offer us 1) competition for Onel 2) an option from the bench

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Calum Chambers

Not sure if he gets over Webber's "won't be signing relegated players" bar. Ok, he was only on loan, but was relegated with Fulham.

On 05/05/2019 at 07:19, Dean Coneys boots said:

I would sign

These are exactly my thoughts 

2 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I hope he’s going to stay, but thought if he was it would have been sorted by now! Maybe we’ve tabled a deal and Klose just waiting to see his options this summer.