Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Flem to start against Soton - offy site...

Aaaaargh. Why are the management team so blind????
This is where the management are going so wrong. Last season we tried three different partnerships. Doc and Flem was the worst of the three. For whatever reason (doc on left, doc inhibited by Cptn Pointy finger, just does not work) this pairing is ineffective - can''t the management recall how poor they were at home to Cov or away at QPR, the only times I recall the partnership this season?? They are doc two poorest games - beyond a coincidence me thinks.

Charlie is a left foot defender who played successfully at prem level in centre back role - his pairing with flem last season conceededthe fewest goals per game and charlie outplayed Flem consistently yet he is overlooked.

This decision just highlights why we are going so wrong - this partnership

• places our best central defender on the wrong side of thepitch - wasting his sterling performances so far this season
  • highlights favouritism continuing
  • fails to make us of our squad
  • shows themanagement playing people to their weaknesses
  • shows management do not learn from their past mistakes.

It is this sort of decision which confirms my thoughts that Worthington HAS to go before the club really progresses.

I am so angry and yet so sad that such a fundamental error can be made again. Having got that off my chest they will probably have a stormer and keep a clean sheet!

And why have I had to try 8 times to ge this post accepted ??? grr

OTBC

ps this is not an anti Flem post..

Totally agree - Simon Charlton''s best performances for the club came when he played center half at the start of our premiership campaign - during which time he outplayed fleming.

The Doc has never looked comfortable on the left side of the defense. 

I find it staggering that the Simon Charlton has never had a chance in this position since the opening 14 or so premiership matches.

Good and understandable rant - but when he''s come on as a right back sub this season Flemo HAS done ok, so you can sort of understand why Worthy might pick him over Charlie who hasn''t when he''s played (albeit completely out of position in midfield).

My only hope is that Doc stays right side as the plan must surely be to work Shackell back in asap - we''ll know the answer to that one come 3.00 on Saturday though.

As I said shrops - nothing against Flem this time despite my reputation![A]  Flem is good to have in the squad and has stepped in well when needed at right back in particular this season so no axe to grind honest.

Its all about inappropriate decisions by the coaching staff - you wouldnt play flem in right midfield because he has done well at right back so why left centre back or at all with doc when that pairing simply has not been that successful in the past?   Either way with that pairing one of the two will be ''out of position'' when we have a perfectly good round peg for the round whole until Shacks is fit again.

OTBC 

agree 100% zip.

Walcott plays left position i believe, so he''ll be up against flem.

If flem stands off and lets wally run at him - it''ll be a case of tortoise V the hair.

Flem needs to be limpet like to stand a chance - good luck to him.

A cracking post ZLF.

Last season our most effective defence (based on goals conceded) involved Charlton. That said I feel there may be an element of politics involved in the decision, but i bet doherty stays on the right. If worthy was to swop it and we got hammered - he''d provoke the wrath of everyone. If he doesnt change it and we get hammered everyone will say that a) it''s flem or b) we have to get Davenport. Either way he doesn''t get the flack.

IMO Charlie is a very much underated player in our squad. He is not a central midfielder, but I feel he is better than Fleming, and last season, was better than Drury

[quote user="ROSSI 46"]

A cracking post ZLF.

Last season our most effective defence (based on goals conceded) involved Charlton. That said I feel there may be an element of politics involved in the decision, but i bet doherty stays on the right. If worthy was to swop it and we got hammered - he''d provoke the wrath of everyone. If he doesnt change it and we get hammered everyone will say that a) it''s flem or b) we have to get Davenport. Either way he doesn''t get the flack.

[/quote]

What?! You really think that if we get hammered, Worthy won''t get any flak??!!

Say what you like but with Flem on the pitch there is one thing guaranteed - he''ll give 100 per cent and he cares.

He might not be the most technically gifted (I''m sure he would agree with that too) but if we''d had a few more with his other attributes on the pitch in the last 2 months we may not be in such a perilous position now...

Can''t agree with you, Maverick. Having a 100% and caring attitude is no substitute whatsoever for talent - does the name Andy Hughes mean anything to you? Delia would give you 100% on the pitch, but I can''t see her playing on Saturday.

Charlton has something that Fleming doesn''t, namely, a footballing brain and proven Premiership class. This gives Charlie an extra yard, which would come in useful against Walcott. Alternatively, why not give one of the youth team centre backs a chance - they''ve done well against decent opposition recently and they have the pace to cope.

It looks as if Worthington''s habit of picking his favourite players, instead of his best players, has re-surfaced. 

Say what you like but with Flem on the pitch there is one thing guaranteed - he''ll give 100 per cent and he cares.

No one doubts that - he has been a great club servant and still has a role to play as a squad player; but when better solutions are availabel the manager should use them.

OTBC

I''ve just put the humble pie in the oven - should be ready in about 20 minutes.I just wondered who wanted cream with it and who wanted custard ???

[quote user="Maverick"]

I''ve just put the humble pie in the oven - should be ready in about 20 minutes.I just wondered who wanted cream with it and who wanted custard ???

[/quote]Nice try mav, but I reckon you''ve just got egg custard over your face!Most people assumed worthy would switch the doc to left side to accomodate flem on the right side - which has never really suited to now. Instead, ZLF was trying to argue for the Doc to stay right side and charlie play left side, which would make sense as charlie is left footed.As it turned out, worthy stuck with doc right side and flem played a stormer left side. I congratulated worthy for having the courage to make this decision - it worked a treat. shacks will have a problem getting back in if this pairing continues to perform well.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]Put it in the fridge instead Mav. Revenge is a dish best served cold![/quote]

Verry happy to eat humble pie (unlike many I am happy to face my faux pas) because, as I have already said on several other threads, Flem played well (after sitting too deep for their goal ;)) and worthy at least made sure doc kept his rightful place on the right side of the defence.   Defensively we looked sound against a demioralised soton side.

However as decision making goes it still beggars belief that any manager should choose to play a person out of position when a better alternative is available.   Just confirms that what Iwan said in his book about fave players still applies. 

Still glowing in a comfortable three points and two wins on the bounce though.

OTBC