Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

Worthy invites offers for Deano

He says he will only be sold if the right offer comes in. He should say, he will not be sold.  He does not state what the right offer would be which worries me. I see it as an open invitation something along these lines.

"Come and buy Dean he is for sale but you have to pay us well"

And alas I think someone will put in an offer that as our great leader says is to good to refuse.

Another brilliant piece of managerial skills from our comic book hero

OTBC

St.John

It''s tough to take but i''m afraid this is the way of things. If he

wants to go and we can''t convince him to stay, there is little point in

stopping him. We all know how a player plays when he doesn''t want to be

there (francis!). Rather bite the bullet, take the money and rebuild.

Look what happened at Everton after Rooney left - it was a weight off

their shoulders and stopped all the speculation and unsettling rumours

around the team and the club. Without Rooney no-one gave them a hope

but they went on to qualify for the Champions league. Ok, they''re in

do-do now, but that''s more to do with the loss of Gravesen than Rooney,

and the inability of Beattie to score regularly. Marcus Bent got more

goals playing on his own up front than Beattie has.

There is a concern over what we''re prepared to let him go for though.

The most absurd thing i''ve heard so far was from the commentator on the

5 second clip of the saints game on "The Championship" on Sunday.

Something along the lines of;

"After this, Norwich can name their price, and that price is likely to be around £3.5m."

If that happens, there''s gonna be rioting on the streets of Norwich. And i''ll join in!

My thoughts exactly. He should just say Dean is not for sale, we need the striker here at this football club. Is it the board who are behind the auctioning off of Dean Ashton though?

What auctioning off?

Last I heard it was ''there''s nothing we can do to stop speculation but it''s going to take big money to get him''. Anyone who doesn''t think we''re a selling club at the right price has not been paying attention for the last 10 years. Show me a club who isn''t a selling club at the right price?

Jeez, Worthy gets slated for not telling it how it is, now he gets slated for telling it how it is. Would you rather he said ''he''s going nowhere'', then when the big offer comes in in Jan and Deano says "you know, I''d like to go" and he goes, the club look like liars.

At this rate, they can''t win.

I`m pretty sure that Nigel   has been approached by some prem clubs   , and that Deano  WILL go  soon !    his announcement  seems designed to brace the fans   to expect this to happen ,    my guess  is Mancity  , £4.5  M   , plus  a  player exchange ....just a guess ! 

Can`t blame Deano ,  every player  has to look after number one   first  , a place in a prem side , a share of the fee , and a hike in pay   ....

I`d  be amazed if a replacement  striker  isn`t being checked over   right now , and that it may come as a surprise  who he gets !! 

Dead right amarillo, every player has their price regardless of their current club (except Chelsea maybe).I wonder if Worthy isn''t playing a game here though; rather than let Ashton''s agent set the pace (by touting him to Prem clubs and leaking any interest to the tabloids) putting our club onto the back foot and unsettling the player, he has raised the stakes and basically said "he''s available but it''s going to cost you". No-one is now going to express an interest unless they are confident they can afford/attract him otherwise they will look like they failed in their bid.It also has the benefit of putting Ashton in a shop window over the crucial xmas period; so if he does have an eye on a prem move in Jan he is going to play out of his skin between now and then (starting last Saturday).Obviously I hope he doesn''t go but Worthy is just facing facts and trying to make things work to the club''s advantage here.

Exactly, that''s football and every player has a price. I think it would take something around £7.5M+ to tempt the club and I don''t see any clubs paying that much at this moment in time.

What Worthy is saying is basically, if you want him then you''re going to have pay big money so come and have a go if you''re think your''e hard enough......nowhatimean

It seems there is two schools of thought here , 1/ lets be realistic, all players have a price at any club. 2/ its Worthy''s fault !  (Poor old Worthy he gets the blame for everything.) It seems to me that everytime it is possible to deal on the transfer market the press and a certain amount of City supporters are hell bent on proving that we are a selling club. The last time Ashton was "Going" City gave him a new contract and turned down over £6.5 million , selling club? of course we are (at the right price) so is almost all of the clubs in this country. But we can now do deals AT THE RIGHT PRICE.   

Umm, something just occured to me, the mystery to why we have been crap so far this season, to fool every other club into thinking Deano is not worth buying, even at £3.5M, so therefore, once the transfer window is slammed shut,  we stage the promotion push of all time and soar up the league on the back of 15 straight wins, all goals scored by Deano of course [;)]

If the club don''t want to sell he can''t leave. So the ball is in our court. Would Deano sulk and mope around like Damien Francis if the club refused to sell him? I don''t get the impression he''s that type. Maybe to him another year or so with us isn''t a disaster at his age. So I don''t understand why everybody assumes he''s going. the advent of the internet has made the rumour mill even more fervent than normal but the vast majority have no substnace in fantsay let alone fact.