Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Villa boss confirms...

You can be sure that the 'replacements' will want to lay down a marker, that they want to be involved in the playoffs as well. Still not a gimme, be sure Daniel will have the boys prepared. 

No such selection issues for Stoke so I think I'd just about rather be in our position than Sheff Utd's.....provided the Stoke of the second half we played against a couple of weeks ago turn up ..and not the first...

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No such selection issues for Stoke so I think I'd just about rather be in our position than Sheff Utd's.....

Why just about?

4 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Why just about?

....because Villa away...in front of a 42000 sell out vs a team who are 11 unbeaten, winning 10 of them, is a harder fixture than Stoke away

The only thing preventing Sheff Utd winning rheir game tomorrow , is their players' alcohol intake this past week

I think Stoke will put in a decent performance, it's already been confirmed as Charlie Adam and Darren Fletcher's last game, so like for Wes last year against Leeds, I fancy a home win.

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....because Villa away...in front of a 42000 sell out vs a team who are 11 unbeaten, winning 10 of them, is a harder fixture than Stoke away

Too many assumptions here, I really don't know where to start. 

I’d much rather be in our position than Sheff Utd’s. We could lose 10-0 today and still win the league by three points. Sheff Utd need to win and hope we lose. 

I’m not too worried about Villa or who they put out. Confident we’ll do the business. And if we don’t I’m not going to get too upset anyway!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Too many assumptions here, I really don't know where to start. 

You dont think Villa are a better team than Stoke?

....and what am I "assuming" ?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Without Abraham and McGinn? I don’t think they’re that good. They’ve been utterly reliant on Abraham this season.

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I just think we're better than Villa. 

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

You can be sure that the 'replacements' will want to lay down a marker, that they want to be involved in the playoffs as well. Still not a gimme, be sure Daniel will have the boys prepared. 

Agreed, but with the usual something important is at stake nerves. We will be up for it and I'm confident for the draw at least.

Not sure that the announcement that the (a?) trophy will be awarded at the end necessarily helps us either....a ready made Villa team talk to not want to see another club lift a trophy on their own pitch??

Personally, I hope we win the game, end their run and are presented with the Trophy at the end. Just to shove it down their throats for the p155 taking at Carrow road a few years ago, over our then manager.

However a well worked draw will do nicely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

I’d much rather be in our position than Sheff Utd’s. We could lose 10-0 today and still win the league by three points. Sheff Utd need to win and hope we lose. 

I’m not too worried about Villa or who they put out. Confident we’ll do the business. And if we don’t I’m not going to get too upset anyway!

We definitely can't lose 10-0 today!

6 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

We definitely can't lose 10-0 today!

Fair point!

Why are we worrying when we are top, have started a new winning run (tic) and up to now have been the best team in the league. The pressure is off and we can play the most entertaining and expansive game we choose.

Villa are the team who need to worry. They need Grealish and they will not want him injured so despite all the hype, they must have next week's game on their minds. If we are committed then there shouldn't be a problem.

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The only thing preventing Sheff Utd winning rheir game tomorrow , is their players' alcohol intake this past week

Have you looked at our form lately ? Think we have a longer unbeaten run and only lost 2 away all season ?. I would suggest the same applies in reverse the only thing that will stop us winning tomorrow is our players alcohol intake, which I am guessing ( going by Twitter ect ) was more than the Sheffield United players. But fair play to them, both sides players should let their hair down and celebrate 2 amazing achievements against all the odds.

Bet you were one of those suggesting we would lose to Blackburn and Villa and Leeds would beat Villa 3 - 0 and then beat Ipswich by some score not seen before in modern professional football.

Enjoy it mate title or no title, party for the next couple of days and celebrate a squad that has achieved miracles. If we don’t win the title don’t let it get you down as it will ruin your promotion party 🥳 and just in case you really believe Sheffield United’s chances are much better than ours you can have a bet at 4/1, that should keep you happy even if we don’t bring the title home from Villa Park.

3 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Do you reckon he will risk Grealish for the full 90?

I will be amazed if Grealish plays. We have something to play for and one would think we ain’t going to be holding back on any 50/50 challenge. 

45 minutes ago, Well b back said:

is our players alcohol intake, which I am guessing ( going by Twitter ect ) was more than the Sheffield United players. 

Ha, you're way off the mark here.  The Blunts had a 3 day bender, they are managed by Wilder who has never been averse to such things.  The Blunts are nearly all British, so unlike our mainly continental players have no concept of pacing their drinking.  In my view I think our players will be in a better condition than theirs and another string to our bow!

Edited by shefcanary

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Ha, you're way off the mark here.  The Blunts had a 3 day bender, they are managed by Wilder who has never been averse to such things.  The Blunts are nearly all British, so unlike our mainly continental players have no concept of pacing their drinking.  In my view I think our players will be in a better condition than theirs and another strong to our bow!

Been on the cider, have they?

28 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Ha, you're way off the mark here.  The Blunts had a 3 day bender, they are managed by Wilder who has never been averse to such things.  The Blunts are nearly all British, so unlike our mainly continental players have no concept of pacing their drinking.  In my view I think our players will be in a better condition than theirs and another string to our bow!

Must have been drinking non alcoholic lager and champagne. 

Villa will of course want to spoil the party BUT won't want to risk any injuries, red cards, tired players. It's just NOT that important a game for them. They know that the playoffs are far far more important. I expect an on open but relaxed good game of football. Then again I'm usually wrong.....

As to Stoke - a lot of (ex) PL players need to show up and impress for next season's promotion push! I expect then to be right up for Sheffield's visit. Everything to prove/gain and no downside :classic_biggrin:

Get a bit physical early on to make them think about the play offs. Let Grealish know you are there without getting cards and expect him to go missing. Whatever we are still a better team on a better run could we put on a score to scare Villa into losing some confidence. Hope so don't know who I detest more Villa or Leeds, WBA to win play offs.

But our boys have been on the p!ss all week. 

Pukki up down Prince of Wales Road.