Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

BBC MOTD - Good Work!

2011: Paul Lambert completes back-to-back promotions #OnThisDay 2019: Paul Lambert suffers back-to-back relegations That's football..

image.thumb.png.8339a67cdf84a2e7d320c0d20ec5170c.pngBBC MOTD

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TCCANARY said:

2011: Paul Lambert completes back-to-back promotions #OnThisDay 2019: Paul Lambert suffers back-to-back relegations That's football..

image.thumb.png.8339a67cdf84a2e7d320c0d20ec5170c.pngBBC MOTD

Lets hope next season on MOTD they have this and then our Pride of Anglia banner as part of the intro.

We’ve moved on. Lambert once masterminded the best season of football I’d ever seen with City.

Not any more

• Like 1

Farke or Lambert? Let’s see how the former does with keeping us up first!

10 minutes ago, AJ said:

Pretty sure whatever Farke does with us, when he does leave he’ll act with more class than Lambert has. My post was about the most entertaining season I’ve ever witnessed. Farke has already surpassed Lambert in that.

not sure why Lambert is seen as an agent'

the paupers have been struggling since 2002

he just happened to be the mug when they finally fell through the trap doo (and there's more to come)

a fairly good demonstration of how the past two decades have been at poorman rd

11 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Why does the guy keep getting jobs? A busted flush doesn't normally get to draw additional cards.

Same reason as Allerdyce,Pulis,Moyes and all the other failures ...............some clubs just can''t find the courage to take a punt on a Bundesliga 2nd tier gem .....like wot we did 😃

• Like 1

Right now, I expect us to be relegated next season. I don't know what new signings will come in, how we approach a step up in class or how the rest of the Prem approach us.

I would say that one of the main reasons Lambert was successful with us was Grant Holt. Not the only one and I have to give him credit for his attitude towards the game while he was here. But his record apart from us is dire.

Early prediction now then Keelansgrandad (which I didn't do last year....perhaps then shouldn't again) but I'm going for a top 10 finish. I am not expecting immediate relegation. I know you are not keen on the stats but you'll have read we have a 63% chance of staying up (and that's before we've kicked a ball!).

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Early prediction now then Keelansgrandad (which I didn't do last year....perhaps then shouldn't again) but I'm going for a top 10 finish. I am not expecting immediate relegation. I know you are not keen on the stats but you'll have read we have a 63% chance of staying up (and that's before we've kicked a ball!).

I'm not a bold as you, I'll say top half finish!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, sonyc said:

What's that 63% based on? The number of promoted teams who have stayed up previously?

If so, then it's fairly meaningless because avoiding relegation is not a random event...

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

What's that 63% based on? The number of promoted teams who have stayed up previously?

If so, then it's fairly meaningless because avoiding relegation is not a random event...

All the new information is in Michael Bailey's piece Ian ....last week.

Early prediction now then Keelansgrandad (which I didn't do last year....perhaps then shouldn't again) but I'm going for a top 10 finish.

As i said, my thoughts are at this point in time. I think we were fortunate or blessed this season that Pukki started and continued so well. And Max and Ben with help from Todd were such a bonus with their mature performances.

But without knowing what our plans are apart from Webber intimating that the same model of self financing continues, and with the current squad, I'm not sure we are strong enough to be middle of the table. I still think we are vulnerable through the middle with Max and Jamal bombing forward. I don't think a combination or mix of Mo, Tom or Mario are great at defending when under pressure or on the break.

But a couple of signings, if we recognise them, could certainly make me change my opinion.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I'm sorry, but predicting top ten is insane, and we really need to lower our expectations if that's the case. How often does a newly promoted manage that? Wolves are going to do it this year, but their Championship winning side was better than ours and they spent £60m+ and brought in some top class players, which is something we won't do. Reading managed it in 2006, but how many others have done it since?

Also, the 63% is misleading because every club has to be judged on its own individual merits and not based on what other clubs did ten years ago. For example, last summer, I would've said the possibility of Wolves staying up was higher than 63%, but Cardiff's was considerably less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm sorry, but predicting top ten is insane, and we really need to lower our expectations if that's the case. How often does a newly promoted manage that? Wolves are going to do it this year, but their Championship winning side was better than ours and they spent £60m+ and brought in some top class players, which is something we won't do. Reading managed it in 2006, but how many others have done it since?

Also, the 63% is misleading because every club has to be judged on its own individual merits and not based on what other clubs did ten years ago. For example, last summer, I would've said the possibility of Wolves staying up was higher than 63%, but Cardiff's was considerably less. 

Sure, it's the league average Wacky. And averages cover up huge variations. But, then there are stats about promotion given who are in the top positions at new year, there are stats that indicate what points you need usually for promotion. They are accurate because they are actualised, they indicate reality over a large sample. I'm happy to be guided by them. As Bailey is in his article.

As for my prediction / forecast ...whatever you wish to call it, it's about my level of confidence after such a great season. I actually don't have huge expectations that I cannot tolerate if it doesn't pan out like that. If we come straight back down I would be unhappy but not overwhelmed. I just happen to think we could well be due for a very good season ahead. Call me insane if you wish. Fine by me.

31 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Sure, it's the league average Wacky. And averages cover up huge variations. But, then there are stats about promotion given who are in the top positions at new year, there are stats that indicate what points you need usually for promotion. They are accurate because they are actualised, they indicate reality over a large sample. I'm happy to be guided by them. As Bailey is in his article.

As for my prediction / forecast ...whatever you wish to call it, it's about my level of confidence after such a great season. I actually don't have huge expectations that I cannot tolerate if it doesn't pan out like that. If we come straight back down I would be unhappy but not overwhelmed. I just happen to think we could well be due for a very good season ahead. Call me insane if you wish. Fine by me.

The points that you need for promotion, playoffs, survival etc. are different, because those are based on the league table as a whole as opposed to the individual clubs. But saying that all promoted teams have a 63% chance of survival is misleading because it depends on the individual team. It's a little bit like saying that Iceland had more chance of winning the World Cup last year than Brazil, simply because European teams have historically won the trophy more times than South Americans, whilst looking past the fact that Brazil are clearly superior to Iceland. In your example, it comes back to what I said about Wolves and Cardiff earlier: Wolves' chance of survival was higher than 63% whereas Cardiff's was always much, much lower.

As for the prediction of a top-half finish, well.... I just think you're getting way too ahead of yourself. Maybe 'insane' was a little bit over the top, but I just think we shouldn't get carried away with ourselves after such a good season this year. I'd be happy to just survive this year, and then look to kick on next summer with the youngsters and/or the money we raise from selling some of them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The points that you need for promotion, playoffs, survival etc. are different, because those are based on the league table as a whole as opposed to the individual clubs. But saying that all promoted teams have a 63% chance of survival is misleading because it depends on the individual team. It's a little bit like saying that Iceland had more chance of winning the World Cup last year than Brazil, simply because European teams have historically won the trophy more times than South Americans, whilst looking past the fact that Brazil are clearly superior to Iceland. In your example, it comes back to what I said about Wolves and Cardiff earlier: Wolves' chance of survival was higher than 63% whereas Cardiff's was always much, much lower.

As for the prediction of a top-half finish, well.... I just think you're getting way too ahead of yourself. Maybe 'insane' was a little bit over the top, but I just think we shouldn't get carried away with ourselves after such a good season this year. I'd be happy to just survive this year, and then look to kick on next summer with the youngsters and/or the money we raise from selling some of them.

Fair enough for me. Don't disagree to argue any point.

Just an opinion. I'm not getting carried away though. It's just my natural optimism.