Sign in to follow this  
M the Canary

What players get sold on?

The squad will need strengthening in the summer who would you lose to make way for the new additions 

I would go as follows

1) srbeny- ineffective even in the championship 

2) Cantwell - loan out to a championship club for more experience 

3) tetty- probably doesn’t have the legs anymore for a premier league campaign

4) Carlton Morris - not going to make it in the premier league 

Edited by M the Canary

Those at the end of their contracts:

2019 - Klose, Pinto, Passlack, Rhodes, Jarvis, Naismith, Wildschut & Abrahams.  I'd expect all bar Klose to go, possibly Pinto to stay on a Tettey type contract?  Rhodes has his own thread on this forum!

2020 - Franke, Raggett, Husband, Oliveira, Morris, Krul, Tettey, Vrancic, Stiepermann. I think we'll see the first 4 sold or loaned out again. Maybe Morris will be given a chance in pre-season.

Others - I can see Marshall & Hanley going.

Edited by Woodman

I dont know enough about Passlack, even though he has been with us for the season. What's he had, a coulple of games? 

Is that because  Jamal and Max have been so good they have kept him out, or is it because he's not been considered up to the grade, or has he been carrying a long term injury, not aware of that!

Farke will know a lot more about him having seen him train and how he has reacted to being shut out, he is still very young so maybe worth hanging on to for another year if Dortmund agree. I cant imagine Dortmund being overly pleased with his lack of appearances this season however.

Edited by Van wink

I'd be shocked if Raggett, Marshall, Rhodes, Jarvis, Naismith, Olivera, Wildschut, Husband and Franke are still here come August. I suspect that Morris and Cantwell will go out on loan

I doubt many will be 'sold on'.

As those out of contract will leave.

Some contracted will leave with us coughing up a bit to cover their remaining contract

and perhaps a 'silly' bid for Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey etc

Bar those none 'sold on'.

I personally don’t see Cantwell going anywhere. Despite what people are trying to believe, he didn’t let us down one jot last season and will be a very useful homegrown to have in the match day squad.

he appeared a little rusty and edgy in those last few games, but be honest, who didn’t? But in his run of games in the middle of the season I thought he did brillianty.

i think he’ll play a part next year definitely. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

I personally don’t see Cantwell going anywhere. Despite what people are trying to believe, he didn’t let us down one jot last season and will be a very useful homegrown to have in the match day squad.

he appeared a little rusty and edgy in those last few games, but be honest, who didn’t? But in his run of games in the middle of the season I thought he did brillianty.

i think he’ll play a part next year definitely. 

I really hope Todd kicks on now, he has the potential to be a great player I hope he stays and proves his detractors wrong.

Me too Daz, I think most people feel the same but he came back into the side in difficult circumstances really, which was tough for him. It was a high pressure end to the season and stepping into Buendia’s boots would be tough for any player, let alone a youngster in his break through season.

I just think he maybe bore the brunt of a small section of fans nerves and frustrations. But I genuinely think he’s going to be a top player for us.

2019 - Klose, Pinto, Passlack, Rhodes, Jarvis, Naismith, Wildschut & Abrahams.  I'd expect all bar Klose to go, possibly Pinto to stay on a Tettey type contract?  Rhodes has his own thread on this forum! 

2020 - Franke, Raggett, Husband, Oliveira, Morris, Krul, Tettey, Vrancic, Stiepermann. I think we'll see the first 4 sold or loaned out again. Maybe Morris will be given a chance in pre-season.

All bold go.

5 minutes ago, JayNCFC said:

All bold go.

Would largely agree with that (Pinto confirmed to be leaving).

I would expect Cantwell to stay and to be a part of our squad next season, although depending on who we bring in he might be loaned out for a year of experience (rather than sitting on the bench with us). 

Tettey has to stay for next year - prem experience, still probably our best holding midfielder in terms of out and out defensive ability. Isn’t going to play 90 minutes all that often in the prem but useful to have around.

Can’t really see anyone else major leaving this year. We’ve got no reason to sell, so the only way I could see the likes of Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis leaving is if they wanted to force a move through (and we would then hold out for big big money). I can’t see why any of them would want to move to another mid table/relegation fighting side. And I think the top 6 are unlikely to offer the sort of money we would demand until they’ve seen whether those players can cut it in the prem. 

Really we will need around 20 capable players at least to fit in the 25 squad in PL. Of those mooted with the exception of Hanley we will struggle to get fees for any of them as have had no experience this season. Will get 3 or 4 players in next season hopefully some useful youngsters from the big 6 on loan to supplement the squad.

To be sold/out of contract/end of loan:

Pinto, Passlack, Naismith, Wildschut, Franke, Raggett, Husband, Oliveira, Marshall, Srbeny

Loaned out:

Morris, Cantwell, Thompson

I think they will make Rhodes permanent or loan him for another year.

On 03/05/2019 at 09:53, Woodman said:

Others - I can see Marshall & Hanley going.

I agree on Hanley. I like him but have developed the feeling as the season has gone on that he's not Farke's type of player. A new face at CB would not be unwelcome as it would mix things up in a defensive unit that does need work if we are going to stay up.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

On 03/05/2019 at 09:39, M the Canary said:

The squad will need strengthening in the summer who would you lose to make way for the new additions 

I would go as follows

1) srbeny- ineffective even in the championship 

2) Cantwell - loan out to a championship club for more experience 

3) tetty- probably doesn’t have the legs anymore for a premier league campaign

4) Carlton Morris - not going to make it in the premier league 

You going to start up another Twitter account to slate him, you total plum?

I see the Millwall boss is quoted today as not being interested in Marshall on loan for next season.

Age should be on Cantwell’s side, being under 21 at the start of the year he can be an addition to the 25 man squad.

Age isn’t on Srebeny or Morris’ side. Both have got promise but need half a season playing regularly - hopefully in the championship.

Apart from Klose all the out of contracts can move on

Rhodes will not be loaned out in final year of contract. Who will take Srebeny on loan he has not featured at all this season nothing to base any move on. Only player we can expect a fee for will be Hanley and it will be less than we paid.  Must realise apart from the obvious fees for the bit part players is unlikely.

I feel Srebeny will be our fourth choice striker. Morris will go on loan again with Thompson to prove fitness if unable to will be released. 

6 minutes ago, pete said:

Rhodes will not be loaned out in final year of contract. Who will take Srebeny on loan he has not featured at all this season nothing to base any move on. Only player we can expect a fee for will be Hanley and it will be less than we paid.  Must realise apart from the obvious fees for the bit part players is unlikely.

I feel Srebeny will be our fourth choice striker. Morris will go on loan again with Thompson to prove fitness if unable to will be released. 

No reason that Rhodes won't be loaned out, I gather Bruce wants to look at him but his wages are an issue for Wednesday. 

Srbeny could go back to Germany,  he needs games and would be off the wage bill.

We might lose a little on Hanley but again he needs games and there will be plenty of interest from Championship Clubs looking for a no nonsense leader. 

I personally think Cantwell would benefit from a consistent run in a team and I don't think he'll get it here so a loan makes sense.

Will never understand anyone wanting to keep Passlack. I understand Aarons has been fantastic but the fact is Passlack couldn't get ahead of Pinto, Marshall or an entirely untested teenager in the Championship so why he'd suddenly be an option in the Premier League is baffling to me.

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

Will never understand anyone wanting to keep Passlack. I understand Aarons has been fantastic but the fact is Passlack couldn't get ahead of Pinto, Marshall or an entirely untested teenager in the Championship so why he'd suddenly be an option in the Premier League is baffling to me.

But that is the beauty of football.  There will be an opportunity for him if he stays - he plainly has talent and the right kind of attitude and although he hasn't featured much this season apart from cup games, has been part of a championship winning squad.  Pinto and Marshall were given first dibs as right backs atthe beginning of the season, but Aarons forced himself into the reckoning and the rest is history. We will need cover for Aarons and to my mind Passlack is a similar kind of player. Also, if Aarons hadn't done so well this season, Passlack would have had many more chances to play games and be able to establish himself more.  Just because he hasn't featured doesn't mean he isn't any good!

40 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But that is the beauty of football.  There will be an opportunity for him if he stays - he plainly has talent and the right kind of attitude and although he hasn't featured much this season apart from cup games, has been part of a championship winning squad.  Pinto and Marshall were given first dibs as right backs atthe beginning of the season, but Aarons forced himself into the reckoning and the rest is history. We will need cover for Aarons and to my mind Passlack is a similar kind of player. Also, if Aarons hadn't done so well this season, Passlack would have had many more chances to play games and be able to establish himself more.  Just because he hasn't featured doesn't mean he isn't any good!

How do you know he plainly has talent? 

53 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

he plainly has talent and the right kind of attitude

Does he?

This is the second season in a row he's been loaned out and failed to make the remotest impact. Even in December when Lewis was out and Godfrey switched out to fullback he couldn't get ahead of Pinto on the bench.

Funny one with Cantwell as it depends who we bring in. I think those games that he came into the team to cover Buendia will have helped him massively. Yes he wasn't a stand out performer but neither did he shirk the challenge or bottle it as some wrongfully claimed. If anything, he should have had a goal vs Wigan if Pukki had played it back to him early doors after excellent build up play.

I think those games will have really blooded him into what it means to play in high stakes games and perhaps now his composure will improve. If he can play like he did vs Forest more often where he ran the show then there is no reason why we can't use a player like him in the prem.

He has a massive summer ahead of him to convince Farke he can play a part next season for us and he has a lot to improve but even if he is not quite ready, perhaps it would be good for him to go spend a year away at another championship club, he won't be short of suitors. That said, all it will take is a run of 3 or 4 games with him playing well and the benefits we get will be massive. He is easily the most exciting outfield Norfolk born prospect we have had since the likes of Darren Eadie.

Be very surprised to see Passlack back, wasn't anywhere near the first XI at any point during the season. 

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if Todd were to be loaned out.

I think 30+ games for Cantwell in the Championship would do him the world of good at this point in his development. 

If Norwich get in a couple of attackers I’d be very keen to see him go out on loan and become a first team regular. He was good with the occasional excellent in his first 10 or so games this season, but seemed to not maintain his form. He needs to be in a situation where he plays every week and can gain a bit of consistency. 

Realistically I can’t see him getting much more than cup games and a few appearances off the bench if he stays at Norwich next season. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think 30+ games for Cantwell in the Championship would do him the world of good at this point in his development. 

If Norwich get in a couple of attackers I’d be very keen to see him go out on loan and become a first team regular. He was good with the occasional excellent in his first 10 or so games this season, but seemed to not maintain his form. He needs to be in a situation where he plays every week and can gain a bit of consistency. 

Realistically I can’t see him getting much more than cup games and a few appearances off the bench if he stays at Norwich next season. 

I couldn't argue against your logic BYG, and you may well be right. However, I feel that we have to be very careful not to lose the special dynamic that took us so far last year.

Part of what made us successful was the bond of players trying to achieve their PL dream and the youthful energy players like Cantwell, Aarons etc brought to the team. Discarding some of the players without even giving them the chance to fulfil the dream could threaten the group ethos - the "whole is better than the sum of the parts" thing.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I couldn't argue against your logic BYG, and you may well be right. However, I feel that we have to be very careful not to lose the special dynamic that took us so far last year.

Part of what made us successful was the bond of players trying to achieve their PL dream and the youthful energy players like Cantwell, Aarons etc brought to the team. Discarding some of the players without even giving them the chance to fulfil the dream could threaten the group ethos - the "whole is better than the sum of the parts" thing.

I get the desire to maintain the team spirit, but I don’t think it would lost just by some players leaving - especially just on loan. 

A lot of the players cited as being important have only been at Norwich since last summer and there is no reason the spirit cannot be maintained with a few personnel changes here and there. It isn’t chance that there is such a bond in the dressing room, part of the recruitment process has obviously been focused on getting in the right characteristics in new signings. 

It may actually be negative to keep Todd around, he may be happy while just outside the team but if next season he’s further away then he may hanker for a move himself to get games. It is one thing for someone like Rhodes to have minimal games in a season, he isn’t particularly worried about his development. Cantwell will know this is a really important time in his career and should be looking to play as much as possible. He shouldn’t be happy to just be a cheerleader in the dressing room if there is the chance to get plenty of first team experience elsewhere.