Sign in to follow this  
Bethnal Yellow and Green

Another interesting analysis of Norwich

Beat me to it!

What I found interesting was that the author concluded we need to strengthen the midfield - one area I wouldn't have thought of. His argument is that we are too easily bypassed as our players aren't quick & dynamic enough to stop players like Roofe (his video example) cutting straight through us. On reflection I fear he may have a point!

10 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Beat me to it!

What I found interesting was that the author concluded we need to strengthen the midfield - one area I wouldn't have thought of. His argument is that we are too easily bypassed as our players aren't quick & dynamic enough to stop players like Roofe (his video example) cutting straight through us. On reflection I fear he may have a point!

Yep I think a more athletic defensive midfielder is a key addition. Trybull is good but not hugely mobile and Tettey isn't able to cover the same ground he could.

14 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Beat me to it!

Yeah, I think that a new defensive midfielder is pretty high on the hit list for additions. Trybull is good if you expect to dominate possession as he can contribute to build up play, but he lacks mobility to cover the large gaps that emerge behind Norwich’s flowing attack. 

Are we assuming Thompson won't be joining for the PL ride? Tbf, I have no idea what calibre the lad is bar from the glimmers between extensive injury. Seemed a hot prospect a few years ago.

Well spotted HAH. From the bits I saw of him he looked very good indeed - Tettey with added pace. Pre-season will tell us more.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Very good analysis of Norwich here; 

https://statsbomb.com/2019/05/a-man-a-plan-a-promotion-norwich-city/

The piece highlighting Buendia’s numbers is further evidence, not that it is really needed, just how special a player he is. 

Also, lots of bits of analysis I haven’t seen anywhere else.

Hard to know where the ceiling is for him, apart from that it is high and probably higher than any other player Norwich have had.

56 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Are we assuming Thompson won't be joining for the PL ride? Tbf, I have no idea what calibre the lad is bar from the glimmers between extensive injury. Seemed a hot prospect a few years ago.

I think my assumption would be he goes out on loan. He's barely kicked a ball for two years so is going to need game time we might not be bale to give him at this level.

To my non knowledgeable eye, Louis Thompson looked the perfect Tettey replacement,, strong, quick, good on the ball and positive tackler. If his injuries have not set him back too far , he will be a  fine player someday, whether the coming season is too soon for him to be a regular first teamer, i know not. We may have to bring someone in for a while untill LT is up to speed or deemed not good enough for the premier League.....then again, we may not. What is do know, after many years of being involved in youth football is that before his bout of injuries, he was looking very promising, no more no less.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

For me defensive midfield is the absolute key area and will we need to change our playing style next season.  It explains why we concede quite a lot of goals despite having quality individuals in defence.

Other issues are "switching off" at key moments - after scoring, before halftime and after.  The Roofe run which they show is a good example of this IMO.

On the defensive midfield issue, do we just need a better individual in the position, or do we need to change our approach so that one player isn't left with the responsibility ?

A similar point is that this season Buendia & Hernandez have licence to roam largely because our fullbacks haven't needed as much protection as normal championship fullbacks would need - next year, I expect that will have to change to some degree.

Bit disappointed with the Vrancic comment, was just saying to my mate this afternoon that his ability to score from range and his free kicks suggest to me that he ought to start for us in the Prem.

We obviously won't create as many chances from open play as we have done this year so any kind of "x" factor might turn out to be really important to us.

43 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Bit disappointed with the Vrancic comment, was just saying to my mate this afternoon that his ability to score from range and his free kicks suggest to me that he ought to start for us in the Prem.

We obviously won't create as many chances from open play as we have done this year so any kind of "x" factor might turn out to be really important to us.

The Vrancic comments referred to three seasons in the Bundesliga. Not this season , or next. That was then , this is now.

11 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

The Vrancic comments referred to three seasons in the Bundesliga. Not this season , or next. That was then , this is now.

They pretty much seem to suggest to me that he won't be able to cut it in the Prem