Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Next Academy Graduate

Got a feeling that it could be a while before we get the next Max Aarons or Todd Cantwell now we have gone up.

What really helped us was that we had a mediocre season a year ago finally after 10 years of constantly fighting for promotion or to stay up.

Are the likes of Idah or Spyrou etc. really going to get much of a look in next season when we are scrapping for every point we can with the big boys?

The likes of Morris and the lad out in Tampa will likely need another year out on loan before they threaten the squad lists as well.

I just wonder what will happen to our youth plan next year now the goalposts have moved. I seem to remember we kind of outgrew Chris Martin when we went up previously as well as Declan Rudd & Korey Smith; allĀ of whom have forged decent championship careers.

Edited by Tetteys Jig

Definitely a different attitude to youth development under the current stewardship. Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis are all good enough for the PL (and possibly Cantwell too) ā€“ the only difference is that they might end up having a year on loan at Championship level rather than playing for us in the Championship. I'm confident that the players being produced at our academy are better than they've ever been, and the pathway through to the first team is also clearer than ever.

16 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Got a feeling that it could be a while before we get the next Max Aarons or Todd Cantwell now we have gone up.

What really helped us was that we had a mediocre season a year ago finally after 10 years of constantly fighting for promotion or to stay up.

Are the likes of Idah or Spyrou etc. really going to get much of a look in next season when we are scrapping for every point we can with the big boys?

The likes of Morris and the lad out in Tampa will likely need another year out on loan before they threaten the squad lists as well.

I just wonder what will happen to our youth plan next year now the goalposts have moved. I seem to remember we kind of outgrew Chris Martin when we went up previously as well as Declan Rudd & Korey Smith; allĀ of whom have forged decent championship careers.

I think the plan will stay the same, if they are good enough and there is an opportunity they will get a chance. How the opportunity arrives is the big question, this season the team rarely changed as we were winning, next season could be very different.

Unfortunately Morris' injury came at the worst time for him, I would doubt his future with Norwich since he's hardly been able to make a track through to the first team even as a sub and his loan spell at Shrewsbury he didn't set the world on fire. Who knows? We might extend his contract but now we're Prem and given his age in my opinion his Norwich days are probably numbered.

28 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Definitely a different attitude to youth development under the current stewardship. Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis are all good enough for the PL (and possibly Cantwell too) ā€“ the only difference is that they might end up having a year on loan at Championship level rather than playing for us in the Championship. I'm confident that the players being produced at our academy are better than they've ever been, and the pathway through to the first team is also clearer than ever.

My youngest plays for a JPL team here in the West and came up against a side from the Milton Keynes area last weekend. A father of one their boys knows very well the family of a recent addition to our Academy.

He's 17 and has recently signed a three year deal on Ā£4k a week and is loving it at Norwich and very impressed with the upgraded facilities (having been released by a Prem academy). I don't know whether this is a lot of money for a youngster by football standards generally, or us specifically, but if it is it's hopefully indicative of the calibre of player we're signing and hoping to bring through.

Maybe someone like Bethnal could enlighten meĀ - it seemed like a very good salary for a young player!

I've wondered if Simon Power might make the squad next season. He followed Todd into the Netherlands to build his career this season (though with Dordrecht not Fortuna Sittard). Dordrecht began in the bottom 3 and have now escaped and have form.Ā 

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

I've wondered if Simon Power might make the squad next season. He followed Todd into the Netherlands to build his career this season (though with Dordrecht not Fortuna Sittard). Dordrecht began in the bottom 3 and have now escaped and have form.Ā 

I thought he got badly injured fairly recently and came back??

I would have thought Idah must have a chance....and would have thought he will shortly jump the queue ahead of Morris and Srbeny...the former of which , I wouldnt be surprised to see leave, if indeed not the latter too?

21 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

My youngest plays for a JPL teamļ»æ here in the West and came up against a side from the Milton Keynes area last weekend. A father of one their boys knowsļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ very well ļ»æthe ļ»æļ»æfamily of a recent addition to our Academy.

He's 17 and has recently signed a three year deal on Ā£4k a week and is loving it at Norwich and very impressed with the upgraded facilities (having been released by a Prem academy). I don't know whether this is a lot of money for a youngster by football standards generally, or usļ»æļ»æ specifically, but if it is it's hopefully indicative of the calibre of player we're signing and hoping to bring through.

Maybe someone like Bethnal could enlighten meĀ - it seemed like a very good salary for a young player!

Ā£4k a week sounds quite a bit for a 17 year old at this level I must say.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Ā£4k a week sounds quite a bit for a 17 year old at this level I must say.ļ»æ

Agreed, I wouldn't believe a word of that Fuzzar. I highly doubt we're paying anyone Ā£4k a week who isn't in or around the first team.

Ciaren Jones is apparently attracting interest from PL clubs. He's contracted until 2020 so watch for a longer deal.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Ciaren Jones is apparently attracting interest from PL clubs. He's contracted until 2020 so watch for a longer deal.

Was trying to remember his name, interesting as he seems to have come out of nowhere.

16 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Agreed, I wouldn't believe a word of that Fuzzar. I highly doubt we're paying anyone Ā£4k a week who isn't in or around the first team.

Well, that's why I asked the question as it does seem a lot. Or does it reflect that we are offering good contracts to youngsters as we build for the future and perhaps why our budget for the Prem next season is a reported Ā£20m?

I had no reason to believe nor disbelieve the source, I was just curious...

Just now, Fuzzar said:

Well, that's why I asked the question as it does seem a lot. Or does it reflect that we are offering good contracts to youngsters as we build for the future and perhaps why our budget for the Prem next season is a reported Ā£20m?

I had no reason to believe nor disbelieve the source, I was just curious...

If PL scouts are sniffing around a player, Ā£200k per year doesn't seem a huge amount of money compared to what we might potentially gain if we could hang on to him until he breaks into the first team. I guess it might potentially upset some of the other first-year scholars who are on peanuts, but if bigger clubs are threatening to poach our players then it seems a sensible move to safeguard our brightest talent.

If they are good enough they are old enough seems to be our philosophy. I suspect Farke will be taking a very keen interest in our player development.

If our lads are good enough and able to spend a season or two in the Championship then thats fine, if we see they are up to the job they will be back at Norwich as swiftly as they went. Is Neal Adams still in this role?

Fuzzar said he was released from a Prem Academy. I don't think 17 year olds released from Premier League Academies have the greatest of bargaining power.

For sure, if he was a hot prospect lauded over by bigger clubs then we would offer significant amounts to keep him. Aarons is only 19 and I suspect his recent contract smashes Ā£4k a week out of the park, but I doubt he was on anything like Ā£4k at the start of the season.

1 hour ago, Fuzzar said:

My youngest plays for a JPL team here in the West and came up against a side from the Milton Keynes area last weekend. A father of one their boys knows very well the family of a recent addition to our Academy.

He's 17 and has recently signed a three year deal on Ā£4k a week and is loving it at Norwich and very impressed with the upgraded facilities (having been released by a Prem academy). I don't know whether this is a lot of money for a youngster by football standards generally, or us specifically, but if it is it's hopefully indicative of the calibre of player we're signing and hoping to bring through.

If heā€™s signed from a Premier League academy Ā£4K sounds about right to me.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I thought he got badly injured fairly recently and came back??

Yes that is right. He played 3 or 4 times though with big contributions. Recently returned. He has good reviews.

1 hour ago, Fuzzar said:

Josh Martin perhaps?

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2019/march/josh-martin-norwich-city-academy-signing/

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I would have thought Idah must have a chance....and would have thought he will shortly jump the queue ahead of Morris and Srbeny...the former of which , I wouldnt be surprised to see leave, if indeed not the latter too?

Adam Idah is an extraordinary player for his age. If we manage to hold on to him we will sell him for a huge amount of money. He is already being watched by Scouts representing the biggest clubs in Europe. Unfortunately it is difficult for forwards these days with most teams playing one up front. He will count as home grown next season so we may get to see him in the first team

Next year might be fairly quiet. The next big thing sounds like Adam Idah, but at 18, they'd probably try to find him a loan at some point next season.

I'd missed that Adam Phillips had already left

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2019/february/phillips-and-aransibia-contracts-terminated/

Loan wise DiallangĀ Jaiyesimi and Sav Morgas were getting decent reviews, but had horrible season-ending injuries, and Simon Power needs more game time.

So I can't see anyone really pushing to get in.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Adam Idah is an extraordinary player for his age. If we manage to hold on to him we will sell him for a huge amount of money. He is already being watched by Scouts representing the biggest clubs in Europe. Unfortunately it is difficult for forwards these days with most teams playing one up front. He will count as home grown next season so we may get to see him in the first team

Not so much pressure on home grown players next season so I imagine Idah will go out on loan. If Norwich hadnā€™t been promoted I feel he might have got a chance, but doubt it in the Prem.Ā 

Hopefully Norwich can find a good club for him, his reputation should mean someone wants him. Unlike with Cantwell where NorwichĀ couldnā€™t give him to an English club, despite not wanting his wages covered or a fee. Bet there might be a few teams who regret not taken that chance on him now.Ā 

Expect the attitude of management and opportunity for youth to flourish once the PL riches start to influence decisions. Hope it does not affect philosophy but expect it will change and be influenced by the Board. This season's success has bemused everyone.

Also meant to say; Iā€™ve heard some very good things about Isak Thorvaldsson who at 17 has been promoted to the U23s and recently been given a pro-contract.Ā 

It is hard to predict who will come through as players can have a sudden development boom or just stop developing suddenly. Youth development isnā€™t linear and young players will jump back and forth, or have huge spikes or dips. Unless they are supremely talented it is very hard to predict who could be ready in 6 months time.Ā 

Max Aarons went from not even being on the bench to an ever present in a very short space of time, as did Jamal Lewis.Ā 

At least we know that Farke isnā€™t scared to drop players into the team if he thinks they are ready. Managerā€™s fear of failure is often the biggest hindrance to youth players.Ā 

4k a week without even playing a professional game! I'm in the wrong job!

makes sense though, as long as we dont have to pay it to the other 50 or so hopefuls like in my FM careers. The south American regens are usually happy with a hundred quid a week though šŸ˜„

5 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

4k a week without even playing a professional gļ»æaļ»æmeļ»æ! I'm in the wrong job!

makes sense though, as long as we dont have to pay it to the other 50 or so hopefuls like in my FM careers. The south American regenļ»æs are usually hapļ»æpy with a hundred quid a week though šŸ˜„

Unless you find the superstars- I tried to sign a guy on Ā£10k a week from Brazil who wouldn't move for less than Ā£250k a week. Brighton were not able to pay that unsurprisingly...

6 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

4k a week without even playing a professional game! I'm in the wrong job!

makes sense though, as long as we dont have to pay it to the other 50 or so hopefuls like in my FM careers. The south American regens are usually happy with a hundred quid a week though šŸ˜„

Compared to Arsenalā€™s or Chelseaā€™s academy Ā£4K is pretty meagre.Ā 

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Compared to Arsenalā€™s or Chelseaā€™s academy Ā£4K is pretty meagre.Ā 

Out of interest what would you expect the average first teamer to be on for us? I'd guessed between about Ā£10-20k a week but if 17 year old academy guys are on Ā£4k then maybe I'm too low.