Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Player Ratings: Southampton Edition

Well, three months since my last game, and Ive finally seen us win this season! Very good ratings today, as to be honest thats the best game ive seen us play since the title winning season (Bar Man United perhaps) As a sidenote, Ive checked the official site and they say that Southampton had twelve shots, with six on target. I hate to lie, but I dont remember Green making a save (The goal not counting of course) Can anyone remember six shots on target?

Green - 6 - Commanded his box well, and distributed well. However he will feel he shouldnt have let the goal in. The shot was very close to his body, and a top keeper like him should have saved that without any trouble.

Drury - 7 - Solid. Was used properly by Huckerby, also delivered a couple of good crosses and tackled well.

Flem - 8 - Surprised me. I thought we should have played Charlie. He was up against Kenwyne Jones, a pretty tall bloke and did well. Tackled and kept out Southampton well, and made a few good blocks towards the end of the game. Put his body on the line, which is always a plus. Overall a good game.

Doc - 7 - Im not sure about this rating, as I want to see their goal again. It appeared that the Doc pushed out trying to catch them offside, but either someone else didnt (In which case they would be rated lower) or Doc just screwed it up. Either way Walcott (I think) got free on the left wing, and put in the cross for the game. Other than that he was solid, and seems a different player from when I saw him earlier in the season.

Wright - 6 - Ok in defence, but some poor positional play at times. there were far too many crosses from his side of the pitch in the second half.

Safri - 10 - I dont think ive ever given a 10, but this was the complete performance. Won the ball back so many times, disrupted attacks, hassled players. And to top it off his passing was top drawer, and his two assists for Deano were quality passes/crosses. As I said on another thread I counted eight times in about 35 minutes that he won the ball back. I hope we hit real form by the time he goes to ANC. He really has been a class above in the midfield this season.

Hughes - 5/6 - Got injured early on, fractured cheek bone apparently. But didnt really impress me. A lot of energy, not much quality.

Etuhu - 7 - Came on for Hughes, and was an upgrade. Passed well, and tackled well. Dont think we have seen the finished article, but he is definitely a good player. Unlucky not to score from a header.

Robinson - 6 - Didnt see much of him. My Sunderland supporting housemate tells me he is "terrible", this was the first time ive seen him play today and although he wasnt bad, I dont think he was of the required quality that we need. However as I said, he wasnt bad, and could add some depth to the squad.

Mcveigh - 8/9 - A good game. Ive been saying we should use him more often. He may be a lazy git (Or so we hear) but he is the anti-thesis of Worthys approach, skill over energy. However he gives us more quality in our attack, and I would have him in our team. Linked well with hucks and Deano, and ran at defenders well. Unlucky not to score from a sublime chip, a fantastic save by niemi denied him.

Hucks - 8 - Looked back to near his best. Attacked well, didnt run down dead ends as he has been. Passed well, and as for WLY he linked up well with the other two. The only complaint being that I counted about five set pieces he ruined, whether it be from a cross that didnt beat the first defender, or from trying a "clever" short corner that didnt work. But he had a good game, used drury well. Missed an open goal from the rebound of WLY''s chip.

Ashton - 9.5 - Usually I never give a 10, I had to make an exception for Safri, but  I thought Deano had an average first twenty minutes, so im not awarding a 10 due to a few misplaced passes, and he didnt hold the ball up well. However that was more down to long balls from the back. After twenty minutes or so we saw his class. Great finishing, he could have four or five were it not for fantastic saves from Niemi. He looked glad to have two players (WLY and Hucks) supporting him, it allowed him to get in the box, and score a great hatrick. Held the ball up very well when played into his feet, and was helped by the pace of WLY and hucks around him. Deano is back..

Leon - 6 - No time to make an impression. However given his form earlier in the season, and WLY''s form recently I would rather have mcveigh on the pitch, until Leon earns a place.

Worthy - 8 - Finally used this formation, but a bit late sir?

Fans - 7 - Not bad. Were silent at 0-1, and pretty quiet at 1-1. But we got going eventually. Couple of funny moments involving the snakepit/barclay and the "Refreshments" issue. And a good one with Greeno trying to catch the ball behind us head and dropping it, "Are you marshall in disguise?"

MOTM - Safri. Deano scored the goals, but Safris exceptional play allowed us to dominate the game. Usually the rule of thumb is a hatrick scorer gets MOTM, but this is a rare occasion when I just cant overlook a fantasic performance somewhere else on the pitch.

Summary - About two years ago, on a cold boxing day, A certain woman said "From here, its onwards and upwards.. Watch this space" If we play like this more often, that quote could be applied to this season.

Green- 6.  From where I was sat in the Barclay it looked like the Saints goal went right under him.  Was pretty solid though.

Drury- 7.  Very solid and made some great challenges.

Doc- 8.  Bloody solid again.  Didn''t let anything go

Flem- 8.  Callum who?  If he carries on like that, Flem has nailed that spot.

Wright- 5.  Still has a lot to do to win himself a January move here IMO.  Looked shakey, poor distribution and out of position several times.

Hughes- 5.  I know he got injured but before that he was bloody awful.  Gave the ball away and when he did have it he just lobbed it far.

Etuhu- 7.  Good game, unlucky not to score.  Best I''ve seen of him.

Robinson- 6.  Again hasn''t convinced me we should pay money for him next month.

Saf- 9.  Awesome.  A definite MOM winning performaces had Deano not bagged a hat trick.  Always in the right place to pick up loose balls, excellent distribution and tough in the tackle

Hucks- 8.  Back to his best.  Pressurising defenders and running them ragged.

McVeigh- 8.  Unlucky not to score but on the whole played well.

Ashton- 10.  3 superb goals.  We will miss him if/when he goes in January.

McKenzie- 7.  Hurried and pressurised defenders.  Great to see him back in a yellow shirt

On the whole a bloody good performaces (bar the first 10 minutes).  Back to the form of promotion winning season.  Keep it up lads

Yeah, we were saying at the game that Southampton''s goal was their only shot on target. Don''t know where they got 6 from? I agree with your ratings, Safri, Huckerby, Ashton and Mcveigh really clicked going forward today. Well supported by Etuhu. In fairness as you say, Fleming was looking good today, I thought that the main improvement was in his avoiding just hoofing it long every time he got it. Overall, if we can repeat that level of performance regularly (and I admit that its a big if) I don''t think that the play-offs are at all out of reach. 

greeno - 6  not much to save apart from the goal which he should of.

wright - 7 shame his loan now ends, ''cos he''s looks right for city. although, where was he for the goal?

drury - 7.5  looked solid defensively and good going forward - not tight enough for the goal.

flem  - 8 good return - looked solid alongside doc. was he tight enough for the saints goal?

doc - 9 assured in his usual right side spot.

robbo - 8 passing was good and played well alongside safs.. was there

to defend and also was always there to back up hucks and drury when we

attacked left side.

safs - 9 cracking game - played well

hucks - 8.5  getting back to best with that game.  has quality to craft goal chances for others.

hughes - 6 he''s a trier, but lacked ideas going forward.  obviously right  wing not his favoured posi.

mcveigh - 8.5 carried on from last week. seems a perfect foil for deano

-  has ability and skill to create genuine chances and can finish.

deano - 10 hat trick hero - could have scored more but for neimi. you''d pay 10m on that display

dicko - 7.5 right wing is not his posi.

mckenzie - 7 good to see him back. will have to fight for his place if mcveigh keeps his form.

Also I feel I should pay special credit to Niemi. One of the best keeping displays ive seen. Three goals conceded, yet if it wasnt for him it would have been an absolute thrashing. Saves from Etuhu, Docherty, Mcveigh''s chip, Huckerby, and twice from ashton were all class.

And finally, That Darren Powell of Southampton was such a petulant git its untrue. God knows how he got away with that kick on Robinson in our box, not to mention clearly shouting at the referee "**** off" when he appealed for a penalty that he was NEVER going to get.

And another finally, a big BOOOO to Neil McCann for an outrageous dive when Safri''s hand brushed his neck. Fell down like a sack of spuds. People like him should be banned from football.

Thanks for the ratings guys, I live thousands of miles away and get to

1or 2 games a season only, your reports give a truer refection of the

game than any smart @rse from the press or telly.

Cheers Bou

Trent, I think you are being a bit hard on Neil McCann - he suffers from Light Touch Syndrome, an horrendous affliction that causes grown, athletic men in their prime of life to collapse at the merest brush with a fellow player. Robbie Savage, Robert Pires and Ruud Van Nistleroy are also similarly afflicted.

Green      7         Not much to do

Wright     7         Solid

Drury      8         Looked very good, dealt with walcot well like the rest of the defence

Fleming   8/9      A new man, superb - won everything in the air from K jones

Doherty   8         Mr consistency

Safri         9         Brilliant -back to his best, won every tackle, will be sorly missed in january

Hughes      6      OK, but gave the ball away too much

Robinson   5/6   Struggled - now i know why he cant get into the worst prem team

Huckerby   9      Great performance, took players on, got crosses in

Mcveigh      9      the new teddy sheringham, linked well with ashton - back to his best

Ashton      10  Star [*]    World class - took his headers well, holds the ball up, great vision, good partnership with mcveigh, please keep him

subs - Etuhu      6      solid

mckenzie   6   tried hard with lttle end product

Seen their goal again, and Wright was horribly out of position. So a 5 for him instead! Im just gutted goals on sunday didnt show any of niemis saves, and I wont hold my breathe for canaries world to show them.

Green - 6.. let in an early goal but over all had a quiet day... hence the 6.. never did anything else wrong but never really had anything to redeem himself with, commanded the line well though...

Wright 7 - good going forward and seemed assured at the back, perhaps could of contributed a bit more but overall good.

Drury 7- a good game... Defensively solid, (partly helped by not being put under pressure due to hucks losing the ball) and got forward well aswell...

Flem 6 - the goal was his fault, lack of concentration and a huge gaping space led to southampton scoring..

Doc 8, Exceptional! theo who is all i can say... kept walcott in his pocket and unlucky not to score.

Safri 8- soild and dependable as always.. youssefs better than Juninho

Hughes - 5 Lots of running and little else, missed an easy chance to ofrom 12 yards.

Robinson 5 - again didnt notice he was playing, a few sideways passes but little if any contribution.

Etuhu - 6 best performance for us so far, disapeared at times but overall kept his effort level up.

McVeigh, 8 - Worked hard and fought for every ball, wee paul looked he player we all know he can be yesterday

Huckleberry - 9 the hucks of old!!!!! needs to keep it going but wee''d on the soton defence and actually put in some decent set peices... should of scored himself but we can let him off that one.

Ashton 9 - Worked hard and his passing was crisp... wasnt in the wars either which helped.. well taken hat trick and richly deserved.

Leon - 6 obviously lacking that edge at the moment and needs a few more games.. great to see him back!

and finally.. although he doesnt play for us...

antti Niemi 10- A world class performance!

jas :)

The goal actually went through Fleming''s legs. He was unlucky and did well to close down the gaping hole left my Doherty and Wright.

Huckerby''s performance was absolutely outstanding. Ashton may have put the ball in the net three times but if Huckerby had been playing for Southampton the scoreline would probably have been very different.

McVeigh had a great game too as did Safri. Four top quality players who we should try to hang on to at all costs.

ZLF comments are below - overall scores would have been higher but for a sloppy first half.

Green - 7 a couple of good saves but horribly exposed and unsighted for goal.  Commanded box well in second half and boll..cked defence which must be a first for a while.

Wright - 5  Poor for goal, poor distribution, no better than Colin

Flem - 7.  At fault for the goal by sitting soo deep and playing the left winger on side.  Far better from then on and looked commanding.

Doc -  7.  Peerless but Soton presented very little up front.

Drury  - 6. Did nothing wrong

Hughes - 5 Poor. 

Safri - 8  Pulled the strings superbly in the middle.  

Robinson -7 A good partner for Safri and used the ball well.

Hux - 7 Finally got a decent cross in for the first goal and slaughtered them down the left in the second.

Ashton 9  Finally got the service his goal scoring ability deserved - how many would he have had but for Aunty Niemi?

McVeigh 8  Ashtons best partner bar none - inventive, incisive passing and defended well too.  Not sure what he has to do to get a full 90 mins but he was true class.

OTBC

[quote user="John Boubepo"]Thanks for the ratings guys, I live thousands of miles away and get to 1or 2 games a season only, your reports give a truer refection of the game than any smart @rse from the press or telly.
     Cheers Bou

[/quote]

The EDP gave Safri a 7 [*-)]

Agree with Zipper, the first half was pretty pedestrian, though thankfully we equalised which obviously settled the side. 

For me Safri was such an outstanding candidate for man of the match, his passing (forwards as well as sideways, please note Worthy, we have someone capable in midfield of passing forwards!), was at times sublime and reminded me of Crook.  He also tackled when needed and looked a complete midfielder, who would be consistently outstanding given the proper match tactics and better company in centre mid.  10 + for him.

Also rated highly were Deano, took his goals well, and from crosses, not hoofs!  He''d be even better with balls fed to him through the middle and passing along the floor. He linked up well with McV and this looks the most encouraging partnership so far. Huckerby was also back to his best.  It was good to see McV and Hucks on the pitch together and these three have to continue as our forward line.

Not sure what will happen when we have to replace Safri due to the ANC though.  Hope that is in the minds of the coaching staff. 

Worthy rules out a move for Koumas as we wont need him even for the ACN period - does that mean another hard working non ball  playing midfielder coming in then or the likes of Rossi J being given a chance because once Saffers is off were are down to starting team options with no cover again...

OTBC  

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

[/quote]

what game was waghorn watching (if it is him??) Safri''s passing was spectacular.  Shows how terrible a decision it was to start with holt last year for half the bloody season.  And puts to shame the limited ability of an andy hughes..........

[quote user="Paul Rankin"][quote user="Trent Canary"]

[/quote]

what game was waghorn watching (if it is him??) Safri''s passing was spectacular.  Shows how terrible a decision it was to start with holt last year for half the bloody season.  And puts to shame the limited ability of an andy hughes..........

[/quote]

To be honest out of all the newspaper write-ups not one gave Safri more than an 8. Most gave a 7. Im convinced that most papers just look at the result and who scored, then just guess the ratings from there.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Paul Rankin"][quote user="Trent Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

To be honest out of all the newspaper write-ups not one gave Safri more than an 8. Most gave a 7. Im convinced that most papers just look at the result and who scored, then just guess the ratings from there.

[/quote]

I wonder what they gave Andy Hughes...  An 8 is a good mark I guess for safri - I doubt hughes ever deserves more than a 6 for effort