Thirsty Lizard

When Will we Next Play Ipswich in a League Game?

When Will we Next Play Ipswich in the League?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. When will we next play Ipswich in a League game?

• Season 2020/21 - we'll go straight back down - they'll come straight back up.
    • Season 2021/22 to 2026/27 - not straightaway, but it will happen some time in the next 5 years after that.
    • Season 2027/28 to 2039/40 - it's football - the wheel will turn eventually.
    • Never - Option 1 - that's it. The two clubs are now on irredeemably different paths - we'll consolidate, they'll go bust.
    • Never - Option 2 - Mankind will become extinct before we meet again in a League fixture

We probably stand more chance of coming down straight away than they do of coming back up.

They are potless, Lambert is clueless and their squad is the dictionary definition of hopeless.

P.S. and Evans couldn't care a less.

• Like 1

Assuming we continue our good financial habits of the last couple of years, with at minimum a season of Premier League revenue and parachute payments now secure in even the worst case scenario Norwich should be set for a long term future in the top two divisions. 

Ipswich on the other hand I can genuinely see heading for bankruptcy and ending up in non-league. They have no assets, very little potential for sale to investors (3rd tier, limited catchment area problems worse than ours, high debt levels) , ground barely fit to pass basic league safety requirements and not going to be invested in any time soon; chairman who will likely cut off any significant funding if they don't immediately make a winning start to next season. I actually don't think we'll ever see another East Anglian Derby, at least not in the league. 

I'm bound to have yellow-and-green-tinted spectacles but I genuinely believe we have more chance of surviving than they have of getting promoted.

The questions you have to ask are is there three teams in the Premier League we can be better than over 38 games and is there three teams who are better than Ipswich over 46 games in League One.

I think the answer to both is yes. For a start, with our squad and coaching staff, I would fancy us to best Sheff Utd and whatever other team get promoted with us, and then that leaves one of Burnley, Brighton, Southampton, Bournemouth, Newcastle or Crystal Palace to finish above; not an insurmountable prospect.

Then for the s(um, they have to best three of potentially Portsmouth, Sunderland, Charlton (one of whom will probably be promoted), as well as Rotherham and the basket case that is Bolton, as well as seasoned League One teams who will fancy a stab at promotion next season like Burton, Doncaster, Peterborough and Coventry. Without the prospect of any real investment in the playing squad, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they fail to make the top 6, never mind the automatics.

If I was putting money on it, I would genuinely be lumping on both of us to each be in the same league in the 2020/21 season as we are in the 2019/20 season.

I genuinely believe they will never play here again.

Don't underestimate the financial mess they are in. Last year their wage bill was 105% of turnover. To comply with FFP in League 1 wages can be no more than 60% of turnover. Added to that they are about to lose £6m in tv receipts and their gate receipts will probably drop, so they have to reduce their wage bill by more than 50%.

They are already trying to loan out their goalkeeper because they can't afford to pay him. They have no obviously saleable players. Mick Mccarthy revealed this week that some of their higher earners will be taking a big drop in salary under the terms of their contracts but they are still in an awful mess. 

Added to all of that they have a manager who has barely won a game in 3 years and appears to have taken leave of his senses. I think they are more likely to be relegated than promoted next season. 

• Like 3

No, they may struggle for a while but will still be a relatively big fish in a small pond.

I would like to see them stay down forever but its not going to happen.

They will have played in league 2 before we play them again. Their squad is poor enough to get embroiled in a relegation battle next year and they have absolutely no leadership above their first team manager whatsoever. I'd guess around 2024/25 at the earliest.

Whatever is this big obsession to persistently continue to bring up the Ipswich on this forum. it should be about NCFC and issues that affect us.

I personally do not gloat because a team has dropped out of TC to Div 1 not due to the loyal supporters who go to Portman Rd to watch football, which obviously has been disappointing.  The club has been run into the ground by the BOD.

Remember the end of  last season and the number of people coming on here saying they will not be renewing their season tickets.

Lets count our blessing that we have seen some of the best football I can remember in 70 years of supporting NCFC

MOVE ON

• Like 2

Erm, it's called a rivalry.

What is the big obsession with people railing against anything that appears on a football discussion forum that is not to their liking? Criticism of a player's performance? NOT ALLOWED! Discussing the amusing tribulations of our fierce rivals? NOT ALLOWED! Suggesting a player might not be suitable for a Premier League campaign? NOT ALLOWED!

This is an NCFC Football Discussion forum and should be a glorious w@nkfest over everything NCFC. Criticism should be outlawed, any mention of any of the other clubs that compete in the same arena, especially our local rivals, should be outlawed.

TALK ABOUT WHAT I WANT YOU TO TALK ABOUT AND NOTHING ELSE!

Come on guys, I'm meant to be the entitled millennial here.

• Like 2

y

36 minutes ago, daly said:

Whatever is this big obsession to persistently continue to bring up the Ipswich on this forum. it should be about NCFC and issues that affect us.

I personally do not gloat because a team has dropped out of TC to Div 1 not due to the loyal supporters who go to Portman Rd to watch football, which obviously has been disappointing.  The club has been run into the ground by the BOD.

Remember the end of  last season and the number of people coming on here saying they will not be renewing their season tickets.

Lets count our blessing that we have seen some of the best football I can remember in 70 years of supporting NCFC

MOVE ON

don't open threads that take the pi ss out of our impoverished neighbours

quite simple

rather like you I would imagine

If they hadn't been waving tenners at us and generally soiling themselves about our plight in 2009 then the rivalry wouldn't be quite as intense as it is.

It's been around a lot longer than that though and I always got the impression it emanated from them looking down their nose at us in the days of Pathe newsreels and bubble perms so why shouldn't we have a bit of fun at their expense?

If you don't like it, ignore the threads or the posters. Stop being the parky who bursts our ball.

1 hour ago, daly said:

MOVE ON

To be honest, I've never got the whole local rivalry thing at all: that you should feel an intense loathing for another club simply on the basis of something as arbitrary as a degree of geographic proximity has always struck me as a bit puerile. 

But whatever turns you on I guess. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

If they hadn't been waving tenners at us and generally soiling themselves about our plight in 2009 then the rivalry wouldn't be quite as intense as it is.

It's been around a lot longer than that though and I always got the impression it emanated from them looking down their nose at us in the days of Pathe newsreels and bubble perms so why shouldn't we have a bit of fun at their expense?

If you don't like it, ignore the threads or the posters. Stop being the parky who bursts our ball.

They were scummy in the 1970s and they are even more scummy now. I want them to go down to League 2, then out of the league altogether, then quietly disappear. Then they can all support West Ham which is their local team anyway. 

Is it OK to feel like this?

• Like 2

Yes absolutely, its (still) a free country! 

I do feel sorry for the fans, and the employees other than playing staff. Its not their fault they were born in Suffolk and fate ordained Ipswich would be their local team. Still life goes on and all that .... 

9 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

To be honest, I've never got the whole local rivalry thing at all: that you should feel an intense loathing for another club simply on the basis of something as arbitrary as a degree of geographic proximity has always struck me as a bit puerile. 

But whatever turns you on I guess. 

Westcoastcanary said a very similar thing before he disappeared from the forum, personally I hate them with a passion and always have done ever since being spat at as a kid in the 70s visiting PR when we (unusually apparently in those days) ran out winners. I take great pleasure in seeing their demise and hope for future glorious relegations for them, I do however feel for the staff at PR who may not get paid or may be made redundant. Perhaps those canaries who didn’t grow up locally don’t feel it as strong as those that did, or perhaps they’re just more grown up 🤪

• Like 1

Blimey just checked and it was the 2-3 win in 1982! Not the 70s at all, although I did go a couple of times in the 70s, obviously didn’t see us win, thank god times have changed.

Portman Road will freeze over, before that happens me thinks

P.S Haven't heard 'parky' used in years Drazen. Thanks for rekindling a few memories.

Just now, Rivvo said:

Blimey just checked and it was the 2-3 win in 1982! Not the 70s at all, although I did go a couple of times in the 70s, obviously didn’t see us win, thank god times have changed.

Martin O'Neill's free kick in the last minute. Just about the best finish to a derby match , ever! 

I think the word pandemonium was invented about 1 second later

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Martin O'Neill's free kick in the last minute. Just about the best finish to a derby match , ever! 

I think the word pandemonium was invented about 1 second later

I remember that 😁

• Like 1

Well I am focussed on NCFC and how we will do next season... Don't really care about the binners and their badly run club. But as has been pointed out on here , I think they might get relegated next season and it will take some time before we play them again!

People who are obsessed with their loathing of !Psw1ch have the right to vent it on here for me. I don't like them either ...but I feel for the people that will be made redundant once the club goes into administration...'cause that's where they're heading.