Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Binners at it again

'Town have sought to allay concerns after a petition order was dismissed at the High Court this morning. HMRC began the proceedings against the club, which ultimately could have led to a winding up order, regarding a tax bill of an undisclosed figure, which Town had settled in March.'

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/36003/town-allay-concerns-after-petition-order-dismissed-at-high-court

Edited by Bill

I hate the binners as much as the next Norwich fan but this just looks like a f*ck up by HMRC (surprise, surprise), pursuing a debt that had already been paid.

48 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I hate the binners as much as the next Norwich fan but this just looks like a f*ck up by HMRC (surprise, surprise), pursuing a debt that had already been paid.

HMRC, doing something wrong? Surely not!!

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

odd how this type of stuff seems to affect them, and not us

and what would have caused HMRC to start proceedings ?

I've twice been chased by HMRC by money I didn't owe them, so it is a rare instance where I have some sympathy for our inferior neighbours.

It's not the first time.

And who could forget the ticket tout ripping off the council.

There is no respect left in the community for that grubby club. Just respect for their history.

If they tried a bond issue every one would see...

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

It's not the first time..

Which would suggest a problem, rather than an oversight.

Remember the paupers stiffed HMRC for £4.7m when they went bankrupt.

A few weeks after Sheepshanks had got up on his hind legs at their AGM and told the assorted farm hands that all finances were in order. When in reality they had been using tax and NI money to prop up their grubby little club as it overspent yet again... and to pay him a bonus.

Any wonder that Sheepshanks saw a fellow shyster (Evans) as suitable to snap up the club for peanuts.

Surely, HMRC send out reminders, even a gas bill is sent out more than once. The idea that 1p5wich have paid and still end up in court makes no sense, that said, they do have history with HMRC, they were in the same position 3 years ago. 

I've been chased by HMRC for an overpayment on a benefit I have never in my life been a recipient of. 

Don’t underestimate the stupidity of these people. 

From the article, it was a HMRC lawyer who stood up and asked for the proceedings to be dropped as the debt had been paid. It sounds like no one from Ipswich even bothered attending.

As much as I would find it amusing if it were not the case, I suspect HMRC were chasing ITFC for an outstanding debt, ITFC eventually paid in February from the sounds of things, an underpaid worker in an understaffed office simply failed to reconcile the payment against the debt but moved the case along into a queue where automatic chasers are no longer generated. Then, in a semi-automated weekly process, HMRC simply petitioned the court for all the outstanding debt that their system indicated had reached a certain timescale. ITFC suddenly see that they have been petitioned, frantically contact HMRC to point out the debt has been paid so HMRC sheepishly sent a lawyer to request that the case is closed. If there was any doubt over that, ITFC would have made sure a representative of theirs hot-footed it to the court as well.

I don't like bursting people's bubble, but this seems to be a HMRC foul-up and not a signal of impending doom. Though that could come later.

This is just normal formal procedure, but does mean that at some point the Binners were late with their payment.  Once such proceedings are started, which would have been because HMRC had not had any correspondence from the club over when they would settle their debt, the hearing is all set up and there is no way of avoiding the hearing - the Court needs to be seen to be taking things seriously and basing any cancellation on evidence presented by either party.  

So yes you could argue HMRC may indeed have been quick off the mark, but at the time they set up the court hearing Binners were guilty of late payment and not talking to HMRC to agree a payment date.  This is evidence that Evans is not giving them the cash flow support they need - he has milked them dry.  Expect lots of redundancies amongst coaching and office staff over the summer - wonder how Lambert will cope with that - who is going to fetch the whisky bottle?