In a young team, senior players like him have been invaluable leaders.

Krul has been trying to re-establish himself after serious injury.

We seem to always need a fall guy as Norwich fans, Im sure all fans are the same, but it's not exactly being a 'supporter' is it?

Krul has received a lot of criticism, in a season where we've been successful and will hopefully be crowned the best team in the league. Yes he's had some iffy moments here and there, but he has made some outstanding saves which have won us points as much as Pukki's goals, yet these have largely gone under the radar.

Surely now it is time to give the guy our full support. No more talk of replacement keepers. He's our number 1, he has Premier League experience and we should be supporting him to help him get back to his best in the Premier League. His performances in goal will be invaluable to us next season. We should get fully behind him now, as good fans should.

OTBC

If I had to put money on one player from the starting 11 being replaced for next season it would be Krul. I will now ritually burn my season ticket and decades of Canary memorabilia and cover myself in the resulting ashes.

• Like 2

Every close season, regardless of promotion or not, the club should be looking at their squad and first team and seeing where improvement can be made. 

For me, the most obvious position that needs improvement is the goalkeeper. 

I’ll support Krul for however long he is at the club, but the idea it somehow makes people less of a fan if they point out where improvements could potentially be made is ludicrous. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

No more talk of replacement keepers. He's our number 1, he has Premier League experience and we should be supporting him to help him get back to his best in the Premier League. His performances in goal will be invaluable to us next season. We should get fully behind him now, as good fans should.

I swear the concept of a 'discussion forum' seems totally alien to so many people on here.

Which positions are we allowed to discuss upgrades for?

• Like 1

For the first part of the season I really doubted whether it would work out here for Krul, and in fairness by his own admission he's had some 'dodgy moments', but I've become a really big fan of his and would be extremely disappointed if he didn't get the opportunity to start the new season as number 1. Whilst he has made some outstanding saves at times in the big games, he's also made some equally outstanding stops in matches we have been winning comfortable (QPR at home for example) and so naturally these tend to be forgotten quickly but shouldn't detract from how important he has been over the season and I'm really hoping the progress continues next season. Plus he seems a really top bloke too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jed Maxwell said:

Plus he seems a really top bloke too.

I get you, I appreciate this, dressing room and all that but like when we went up before with a lot of top guys the PL didn't get the memo about being sentimental.

Hence why the Champs is fantastic and the PL a bag of ****. But we all want to be successful and so the perpetual cycle is ever more.

30 minutes ago, king canary said:

Inside forward, half back and false number nine.

13 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

I get you, I appreciate this, dressing room and all that but like when we went up before with a lot of top guys the PL didn't get the memo about being sentimental.

Hence why the Champs is fantastic and the PL a bag of ****. But we all want to be successful and so the perpetual cycle is ever more.

No you're right, immediately after clicking the submit button I realised I've become that person!! The Russell Martin thing wore far too thin, players need to deliver and not live on sentiment. I do feel Krul has delivered though and so it's okay to be a top bloke too!!  

• Like 1

I believe the OP doesn't live locally, so perhaps can't attend many games lately but I can assure him Krul gets plenty of vocal support home and away.

Norwich City interviews:

Watch this and tell me you still want anyone else in goal... 

Edited by Norfolk Dan
Fixed link

2 minutes ago, Bury Yellow said:

I believe the OP doesn't live locally, so perhaps can't attend many games lately but I can assure him Krul gets plenty of vocal support home and away.

I think there is a risk we may understimate how tough it is for a keeper to play behind such an inexperienced back four, you only need listen to the accolades from the likes of "dynamite" to realise how important he has been this season.

• Like 2

Early in the season Krul shot himself in the foot with errors against WBA and Millwall in particular, not a good start but came strong and proved many of us wrong.  But his handling and footwork was poor at other times.  Needs replacing with keeper who can do the things this team requires of a keeper but Ederson and Alyson cost over £60m may not get one on our budget so Tim might stay first choice.

45 minutes ago, king canary said:

I swear the concept of a 'discussion forum' seems totally alien to so many people on here.

So you want to discuss upgrades, but people aren't allowed to say they don't think we need upgrades?  If you offer a discussion on something, expect opposing views, unless you want a sanitised board where everyone agrees with each other. 

I don't think we need to upgrade Krul - we need competition for him, sure and for my money McGovern and a young up and coming keeper is good enough.    To my mind EVERY player who has taken part this season should be considered as a sure thing for the Premier League - bar none. If any leave, we may need to replace them, or we may need to strengthen the squad generally, but I would be perfectly happy to see the same 18 or so match day players that we've seen this season. Many of them are young and can step up to the level needed through developing themselves, those who are older such as Zimbo, Vrancic and Leitner are no doubt  in my mind going to be hits in the PL. 

Despite the odd error, Krul is good enough and I've seen enough mistakes from PL goalkeepers this season to justify that.  Imo he will improve as a result of this season - as will all of them.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

So you want to discuss upgrades, but people aren't allowed to say they don't think we need upgrades?

Well done on picking up the exact opposite of what I was saying.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If you offer a discussion on something, expect opposing views, unless you want a sanitised board where everyone agrees with each other. 

It was the OP's 'No more talk of replacement keepers' that was calling for that.

Probably one of the biggest testaments to Tim Krul's innate ability is the fact that he rejoined Newcastle when they were in the championship in 2009 and contributed to getting them promoted. They stayed in the Premier League every season that he was first choice, then were relegated in 2016 after he went out of action early in the 2015/2016 season with a cruciate ligament injury. 

We're very lucky to have him. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vlad666 said:

Krul is fine but we need a better back up than McGovern. 

This. Krul will be a steady keeper for us next season. I genuinely do not think he will be replaced and that he will do an acceptable job next season. 

The terrifying bit is if he gets injured and McGovern has to play; in my opinion McGovern is just about good enough for third choice (unless first and second get injured!).

9 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

If I had to put money on one player from the starting 11 being replaced for next season it would be Krul. I will now ritually burn my season ticket and decades of Canary memorabilia and cover myself in the resulting ashes.

I personally believe Krul has done wonders this season considering he's had to play behind two teenage, relatively novice attacking fullbacks in a Division we've been promoted from.

But yes, you're quite right, we should definitely replace the Premiership experienced Keeper who played a major part in our return to the Premier with all due haste.

F*cking idiot.

Nothing wrong with a bit of debate, particularly now promotion is secured. Didn't like it being discussed while things were up in the air (say about 4-5 weeks ago) as I think we needed to be behind the team then.

Goalkeeping is about confidence. Krul had his shattered when first Toon, then the Seagulls didn't play him as first choice after going through an injury. 

He was nervous, had very little prep before being thrust into our first team and subsequently made some pretty glaring errors. Since those early days, he has gone from strength to strength. I was watching highlights of our draw to West Brom earlier this year and had totally forgotten how out played we were and how lucky we were to get away with a point (we robbed them IMO). A huge part of that were two brilliant stops from Krul. Since then he has also delivered at Brentford, Millwall, Wigan and against Sheffield Wednesday at Carrow Road. 

He has Premier League experience and I think is well on his way back, confidence restored and a full pre-season to come. Before his injury he was Netherlands second choice keeper, and he looks like he is getting his mojo back.

I do think we need to strengthen competition for that role though. McGovern is probably a good old head to have around, but as a second choice who hasn't played much, not really ideal. A strong second choice is needed, but this doesn't have to cost a bomb. 

Krul got stronger as the season went on and was one of the cool heads when the pressure was really on when we hit the final ten games. You can't underestimate that cool calmness and experience when you have such a young defense. I'd be happy to have him as No.1 next season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jools said:

I personally believe Krul has done wonders this season considering he's had to play behind two teenage, relatively novice attacking fullbacks in a Division we've been promoted from.

But yes, you're quite right, we should definitely replace the Premiership experienced Keeper who played a major part in our return to the Premier with all due haste.

F*cking idiot.

I didn't actually say I thought he should be replaced. A careful reading would have shown that my point was that if Webber and Farke think there is one position in the starting eleven where they definitely need to upgrade it would be goalkeeper. And I suspect that is true.

As it happens, taking everything into account, I would advocate replacing Krul (who would probably become our number 2), but only providing we can get our hands on an obvious upgrade within our financial limitations. Goalkeeper is the most important position in the team, and I don't believe Krul is quite the keeper he was.

4 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Krul got stronger as the season went on and was one of the cool heads when the pressure was really on when we hit the final ten games. You can't underestimate that cool calmness and experience when you have such a young defense. I'd be happy to have him as No.1 next season.

Not forgetting his 'geeing up' up of the crowd at vital times. Crowds love to see this passion in players and do respond.

Remember that throw in against Sheff Wed? Arguably bought the vital seconds for Vrancic to get us that point.

I'm not confident Krul is good enough for the prem and ideally would love an upgrade but that's easier said than done, who is available,who would sign for us, Joe Hart? Not sure he's any better and sure he's alot more expensive.

With a first full season for a while under his belt, with a good pre season I think Krul could be closer to his best next but we definitely need another keeper,and ideally a better one to challenge him.

For what its worth I think we need 4 New players down the spine of the team, Gk,CB,DM and CF to challenge Pukki.

4 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I'm not confident Krul is good enough for the prem and ideally would love an upgrade but that's easier said than done, who is available,who would sign for us, Joe Hart? Not sure he's any better and sure he's alot more expensive.

With a first full season for a while under his belt, with a good pre season I think Krul could be closer to his best next but we definitely need another keeper,and ideally a better one to challenge him.

For what its worth I think we need 4 New players down the spine of the team, Gk,CB,DM and CF to challenge Pukki.

Check his premiership record ? 

6 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

..... and a wide man. 

I would feel much safer with Krul in goal than Joe Hart! 

• Like 1

Krul is getting back to his peak form and his confidence is restored. A keeper with international and Premier experience will be invaluable behind a young and inexperienced defence next season. There is not one ounce of doubt in my mind that he will have a hugely influential season as first choice keeper.

• Like 4

It's natural that at the end of any season fans will start thinking of how the team/squad could be improved.

Particularly so when you go up to the PL.

Strange then that when certain positions are highlighted as potential areas of concern some fans immediately jump on this because they see it as some sort of criticism (or in extreme circumstance scapegoating) of the incumbent players who in they believe are are untouchable.

But that is no reason to either slate posters who may have a different view or claim that nobody in the current squad is irreplaceable.

There is no doubt that we will be looking to improve certain positions and that might well result in your particular favourite, who may have had a good season, losing his position. I think it;s called transition.

It's a long time from the start of the season until the January window and if you don't try to improve the squad now then January, as we have learned to our cost, will probably be too late and/or too expensive.

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 1

Just to lay out my thoughts on Krul in a bit more depth....

- Good in one on one situations, makes himself big and difficult to score past

- Reflexes and shot stopping generally very solid.

- Distribution is OK but prone to the odd howler in this area

- Generally pretty commanding and communicates well

- Seems to struggle to get down to low shots from range

- Think he's prone to 'overthinking' it some times. For example won't come for a cross he should have and then to try and make up for it he comes for the next one that he shouldn't have. 

I think he's a good keeper at this level but there are mistakes in his game that will get further punished at a higher level as we won't be scoring as many. For instance his howler v Millwall didn't actually cost us anything because we scored 4, that won't happen as often in the Premier League. Equally some mistakes that didn't get punished at this level (two rushes of blood v Leeds for example) will do by Premier League strikers.