Yellow and Green

Ultimate NCFC Promotion Team

1 hour ago, Yellow and Green said:

Wenger's Invincibles (2003/4)

I don't know exactly what you mean by that. If it's a reference to a record standing, then you have to realise that the opponents have also progressed at the same rate (in theory) so an unbeaten season has (in theory) never been any more or less difficult than it is now. 

Keelan

Machin Watson Bruce Bowen

Gordon Peters Williams 

Holt MacDougall Huckerby

Not sure if all we part of  promotion team but never mind

• Like 1

What a side, keelansgrandad .It's great to see that someone else rates Mel Machin so highly. When I was a mere lad, standing craning my neck for a decent view on the old River End, Machin used to get no end of stick from the jaded old boys around me..."Get rid of it' Twinkletoes!" seemed to be the standard reaction when ever he was in posession. I always felt that he was a class act. And as for David Williams,I reckon he was sheer quality. We didn't get to see him in a City shirt until his playing career was nearly over, but my god, he was good...!

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Taking all into account:

Keelan

Aarons, Watson, Bruce, Drury

Buendia, Hoolahan, Peters, Huckerby

Boyer, MacDougall

That team would be as exciting as this season's, with so much creativity, but the back 4 are very isolated with no covering DM (s).

I think that team would be leathal at corners - even poor ones, as Peters would ghost in and glance it past the first defender for Bruce to head in.

Farke would be just the man to help SuperMac with his confidence, although I don't know how many of them would take being made to wash his car.

I have found this harder than it should be. I started it using todays team as a basis (as I consider it the best) and looking to use previous players to improve certain areas but I really struggled to use anyone. I loved Huckerby, McKenzie, Hoolahan and Holt, and I thought Howson, Redmond and Olsson were good players but I really struggled to justifiably include any of them. Huckerby is the most obvious replacement for Hernandez and the only change I would actually make. Mckenzie was strong, quick and very hard-working but he wasn't a natural finisher like Pukki, Hoolahan in my opinion is only effective centrally and I think we need Stiepermanns physicality (and Hoolahan, whilst a magician was not enough of a goal threat), Holt should be in there but how could I realistically drop Pukki? he's scored 50,000 goals this season...

PS Vrancic isn't even included in your team for this year, I think he's more justifiable than a lot of the previous years players, that's how good this team is!

Had they been in the side all season I think a few other players would have been in with a good chance. It was looking like Leitner at the start of the season and Ben Godfrey would have had a chance too.

For me:

Gk: Green

RB Aarons

LB Drury (hard but pips Lewis for the time being)

CB Mackay

CB Bassong (toss up between Fleming, Bassong and Godfrey - tempted to go for an in form Bassong, but Godfrey alongside Malky would be a good combination.)

DM Tettey

RM Buendia

LM Huckerby 

ACM Hoolahan

FW Pukki

FW Holt

Quite attacking. If being boring/sensible, then swap Grant Holt for another central midfielder - Gary Holt or Howson. 

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not bad, is it, BF! The most players - three - from 1974-75, but then the Bond era was my favourite time. Not necessarily the best football, certainly not the most consistent, but great fun. Unsurpassed in that regard, although I have to say this season, the way it just got better and better and better, runs it close.

Bit too attacking Purple, where's your holding midfielder!!!

5 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I have found this harder than it should be. I started it using todays team as a basis (as I consider it the best) and looking to use previous players to improve certain areas but I really struggled to use anyone. I loved Huckerby, McKenzie, Hoolahan and Holt, and I thought Howson, Redmond and Olsson were good players but I really struggled to justifiably include any of them. Huckerby is the most obvious replacement for Hernandez and the only change I would actually make. Mckenzie was strong, quick and very hard-working but he wasn't a natural finisher like Pukki, Hoolahan in my opinion is only effective centrally and I think we need Stiepermanns physicality (and Hoolahan, whilst a magician was not enough of a goal threat), Holt should be in there but how could I realistically drop Pukki? he's scored 50,000 goals this season...

PS Vrancic isn't even included in your team for this year, I think he's more justifiable than a lot of the previous years players, that's how good this team is!

Surely you could squeeze in Dave Watson there!

21 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

It would be a great game - Hucks has said a few times on the TNC podcast that he would be confident that the 2003/04 team would beat Farke's boys.

No chance. The speed of passing and movement would have the 2003/04 team chasing shadows, and the gaping hole behind Huckerby would be where Emi plays.....