Sign in to follow this  
Jools

Congratulations Luton Town

My second team is promoted this evening as both Sunderland & Portsmouth lose 👍

That makes the Hatters our nearest rivals 😎

WHAT A SEASON!

image.thumb.png.db565ff3cfb2f03ac207d1a3a27eb167.png

Pleased for them, got a soft spot for them as my uncle has lived there for over 45 years and I used to go to Kenilworth Rd with a Luton Town supporting friend (was there for the last game on their plastic pitch, which was also the game that saw Mick Harford deliberately score an own goal which helped Luton avoid relegation - 1991 I believe).......

• Like 1

I had the misfortune to be born in Luton 😜 to Norwich parents who moved there before I was born as father took on a job at Vauxhall --- Regularly attended Kenilworth Road with my father in the Sixties until we moved back to Norwich in '67. Fond memories.

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

and no, you hatters

you can't have your players back

How about a couple of loanees? 👍

How does that make the Hatters our nearest rivals ?
Geographically, in the same division, it will be Spurs.

Our nearest football club in the top 5 leagues is still Ipswich.

It's a close call between Spurs and Wet Spam, but agreed Tottenham is closer and also the team you want to be a rival to. 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

It's a close call between Spurs and Wet Spam, but agreed Tottenham is closer and also the team you want to be a rival to. 

Well, Luton IS closer* (102 miles) than Spurs (108 miles) but Luton isn't in the same division as us. Portman Road is still the closest league club to us (44 miles) 
*Stadium to stadium distances.

Mayve "nearest rival" was meant to mean nearest regional club to us in league status, which is a bit arbitrary.

If league status is irrelevant then I’d chose Norwich Utd ! 

Honestly if we move on from L1pswich then I think Leicester should be our new rivals ... best match in terms of size of club and city. 

I particularly like the fact that Barnsley and Luton are up because, like us and Sheff Utd,  it shows that the 'bigger' teams and bookies favourites aren't pre-ordained to top their divisions in the EFL.

It'll also leave at least one of Pompey or Sunderland in L1 for the Binners to fight it out with for the title they are going to win at a canter with their triffic kids. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whisper it quietly, but there's actually a good chance that Luton could become our main regional rivals in the near future. 

We already know that they've got a great youth development set up. They've also got ambitious plans to relocate to a new purpose-built stadium on the edge of town and sell Kenilworth Road. Kind of the exact opposite to that lot down the road really. 

There's some decent teams in League One. With at least two our of Pompey, Sunderland and Charlton staying in the Division, Coventry improving on the pitch if not off it and the likes of Burton, Blackpool and Doncaster all fancying a tilt at promotion next year along with Rotherham (think Bolton will sink) then Ipswich are going to find it very, very tough.

1p5wich will always be our rivals, it's in the blood, our U23s might play their first Team in the Checkatrade next season.  If we play them at CR, you can guarantee a sell out. That tells you all you need to know. 

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

There's some decent teams in League One. With at least two our of Pompey, Sunderland and Charlton staying in the Division, Coventry improving on the pitch if not off it and the likes of Burton, Blackpool and Doncaster all fancying a tilt at promotion next year along with Rotherham (think Bolton will sink) then Ipswich are going to find it very, very tough.

This is a very valid point - it is certainly not going to be plain sailing for them next season, especially without their loanee strikers Keane and Quaner, plus Sears out until Christmas.

11 hours ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

Fond memories of their fa cup run in the 90’s....

Pah! Never forgiven them for beating us in the 58/59 semi-final - never will.

Not that I hold a grudge mind you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

1p5wich will always be our rivals, it's in the blood, our U23s might play their first Team in the Checkatrade next season.  If we play them at CR, you can guarantee a sell out. That tells you all you need to know. 

^This^ 

That would be such a delight to see. 

• Like 1

Careful what you wish for, it happened this season in the Checkatrade with Sunderland and Newcastle Under 21s. Admittedly Sunderland had home advantage but they gave the Under 21s a 4-0 stuffing.

20 hours ago, K Lo said:

How does that make the Hatters our nearest rivals ?
Geographically, in the same division, it will be Spurs.

Yes but who would want to be associated with a team like Spurs who play in a c*ap stadium ?......:classic_wink:

11 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Careful what you wish for, it happened this season in the Checkatrade with Sunderland and Newcastle Under 21s. Admittedly Sunderland had home advantage but they gave the Under 21s a 4-0 stuffing.

The result is irrelevant dan, it's the kudos of our kids playing their first Team in a competitive game. They'd never live it down. 

26 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

They'd claim it as a win, say the ten years are over and probably give themselves another star. 

You're probably right 👌

2 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

You're probably right 👌

And a commemorative DVD release with bonus Alex Mathie Demolition Derby disc for the younger fans who can't remember the last comfortable win.

• Haha 1