5 hours ago, BigFish said:

If ever there was a an example of bottling it, it is hard to beat this........

image.png.d102cf73b0e6a5d811499b309ba16dc3.png

Went to the 4-1 game, and that was one of the best away performances. Ripped them a new one that day. So that;s 37 years ago tomorrow? Best get a beer ready to mark the occasion.............

Jim Melrose? Aargh! gutted, that was the only time I have cried when we have lost ( I admit to having a tear at Wembley in 85 and 2015 and also on Saturday night)

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Correct, Mr Tilson. Of that list, the most comfortable promotion-securing win, and with a game to spare. Boyer, McGuire and Peters.

I've still seen us win promotion more times at Fratton Park than Carrow Road.

I've been looking at a lot of these for Still On The Ball on Thursday. The most interesting one for that is Southend at Carrow Road in 1960. We won 4-3 (Crossan 2, Whitehouse, Punton). Coincidence is that the game was 27th April like this year.

Team was Kennon, Thurlow, Ashman, McCrohan, Butler, Crowe, Crossan, Whitehouse, Allcock, Hill, Punton.

Love how you can recall this NN! You remind me of Golden Gordon!

“Haggerty R, Haggerty F..."

I guess Bill Punton is our very own Baldy Davitt! :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

15 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

We equalised late on but then I think it was Mel Sterland who scored the very late winner for Wednesday. And I only found out we were up on the train back home when some Gillingham fans got on at Chesterfield, and told me that ...................... had lost to/drawn with ............................................ So it is that other result that mathematically confirmed promotion that is needed!

You must have left sharpish @PurpleCanary , my (now dimish) memory is of standing on the Leppings Lane terrace at full time in a bit of a disappointed trance while the Wendys came onto the pitch to taunt us. Only for a gradual cheer to roll round the end as the Leicester result came through on people's radios. An emotional turn around that just doesn't happen in our connected world these days. (Rather took the wind out of their sails as well)

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I've still seen us win promotion more times at Fratton Park than Carrow Road.

I've been looking at a lot of these for Still On The Ball on Thursday. The most interesting one for that is Southend at Carrow Road in 1960. We won 4-3 (Crossan 2, Whitehouse, Punton). Coincidence is that the game was 27th April like this year.

Team was Kennon, Thurlow, Ashman, McCrohan, Butler, Crowe, Crossan, Whitehouse, Allcock, Hill, Punton.

Just out of interest NN, have you seen all of the promotions on that list in person?

27 minutes ago, BigFish said:

You must have left sharpish @PurpleCanary , my (now dimish) memory is of standing on the Leppings Lane terrace at full time in a bit of a disappointed trance while the Wendys came onto the pitch to taunt us. Only for a gradual cheer to roll round the end as the Leicester result came through on people's radios. An emotional turn around that just doesn't happen in our connected world these days. (Rather took the wind out of their sails as well)

BF, it was that or a two-hour wait for the next train, and I had to catch a flight to Davos for a meeting with George Soros and the other members of the ultra-secret Inner Coven of the Bilderberg Group to finalise setting up the New Global World Order Organisation that Len is obsessed with...

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Just out of interest NN, have you seen all of the promotions on that list in person?

No, very few of them. Both Portsmouth games and in 71/72 I was at Watford for champions but not Orient. And of course last Saturday.

I don't recall the Southend game. I had just looked it up for SOTB. That will be the most interesting one for them.

Purple, do I get a bonus point for knowing My Old Man's a Dustman was #1 on 27/04/60? 🙃🤓

After a count up I find I was in person at five of them. Both home games, Watford, Orient and the first Portsmouth game.

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

No, very few of them. Both Portsmouth games and in 71/72 I was at Watford for champions but not Orient. And of course last Saturday.

I don't recall the Southend game. I had just looked it up for SOTB. That will be the most interesting one for them.

Purple, do I get a bonus point for knowing My Old Man's a Dustman was #1 on 27/04/60? 🙃🤓

Only if you can - without Googling - tell me what hyphenated word is used to describe the old man's trousers!😆

15 hours ago, Hissing Sid said:

2003-04 was a Palace win (3-0?) over Sunderland at Selhurst. On the night there was a huge crowd at Carrow Rd for a reserve game (v Brentford I think). Radio Norfolk had live commentary of the Palace game and it was piped into the Barclay bar. Most people just stayed in there listening! 

They piped it into the stadium as well, the reserves game finished about 5-10 minutes earlier than the Sunderland match. Delia and Worthy came onto the pitch to celebrate with the fans who came to the reserves game too. I went into town afterwards and car horns were blarring for well over an hour after the game had finished. F*cking brilliant night.

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

Ditto BigFish

40 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That's not a song in Binville, just a way of life.

NN, I though I saw you and your good folk on the tellybox before the 2015 Play-off final?

18 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

81-82 Sheffield Wednesday @ Hillsborough

2-1 defeat, still went up

I think?

Leicester lost at home to Shrewsbury and we went up despite losing. 10,000 Norwich fans in the Leppings Lane end and we made a lot of noise. Wednesday fans let themselves down badly and one of them was actually in the six yard box when Wednesday scored the winner. 

53 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

They piped it into the stadium as well, the reserves game finished about 5-10 minutes earlier than the Sunderland match. Delia and Worthy came onto the pitch to celebrate with the fans who came to the reserves game too. I went into town afterwards and car horns were blarring for well over an hour after the game had finished. F*cking brilliant night.

I didn't go myself, but there were many Capital Canaries at Selhurst Park that night supporting Palace!

I've been fortunate enough to be at all the promotion matches directly involving Norwich during my adult life, the two in the 80s I've had been 1 and 4 years' old respectively.  I'd rank Saturday against Blackburn 3rd in the list.  For me winning at Wembley, just the occasion, puts that top, then the night down at Pompey when we went back-to-back promotions second.

Wembley was just incredible. Sadly my recollection is a little hazy owing to the dozen plus pints I consumed throughout the day.

1 hour ago, Matt Juler said:

I didn't go myself, but there were many Capital Canaries at Selhurst Park that night supporting Palace!

I've been fortunate enough to be at all the promotion matches directly involving Norwich during my adult life, the two in the 80s I've had been 1 and 4 years' old respectively.  I'd rank Saturday against Blackburn 3rd in the list.  For me winning at Wembley, just the occasion, puts that top, then the night down at Pompey when we went back-to-back promotions second.

As we walked out of the ground on Saturday , my friend said "This still doesn't compare to Wembley does it?". Have to say I am still in two minds - I think I have been more nervous of not making promotion this year simply owing to potentially having to deal with being  top for so long and then messing it up. So the relief was enormous. When we played at Wembley , if we had lost , the consequences were not so dramatic? Bit like when we lost at Cardiff. 

Not sure that makes any sense really. Saturday was an amazing time , as was Wembley. The results cloud you memory . I hated Cardiff, but when we went up shortly after , it changed my view of the whole Cardiff experience. 

55 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

As we walked out of the ground on Saturday , my friend said "This still doesn't compare to Wembley does it?". Have to say I am still in two minds - I think I have been more nervous of not making promotion this year simply owing to potentially having to deal with being  top for so long and then messing it up. So the relief was enormous. When we played at Wembley , if we had lost , the consequences were not so dramatic? Bit like when we lost at Cardiff. 

Not sure that makes any sense really. Saturday was an amazing time , as was Wembley. The results cloud you memory . I hated Cardiff, but when we went up shortly after , it changed my view of the whole Cardiff experience. 

I get that completely.  I was nervous all last week, even though we were all but mathematically promoted.  Before the match at Wembley I was just excited to be seeing Norwich playing there.  I still rank the Playoff Final at Cardiff up there as one of my best football experiences.  I've watched it back a few times, always turn it off just after Iwan scores!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

That's not a song in Binville, just a way of life.

NN, I though I saw you and your good folk on the tellybox before the 2015 Play-off final?

Yep that one. We went on cabbage but it wasn't regulars only. Nikki Fox commandeered the bus for BBC  and we had first choice who came on. There were quite a few PUPs with us. Then we were all on look east the next day.

Was also at Watford in 2004 then Crewe where we were all on the pitch after.

Beardo - where's me tigers 'ed?

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yep that one. We went on cabbage but it wasn't regulars only. Nikki Fox commandeered the bus for BBC  and we had first choice who came on. There were quite a few PUPs with us. Then we were all on look east the next day.

Was also at Watford in 2004 then Crewe where we were all on the pitch after.

Beardo - where's me tigers 'ed?

Four foot from it's tail. Now stop being silly. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Same. I was at the reserve game having a cracking time listening to Sunderland game and giving the reserve match virtually zero attention. It's one of my all time most cherished memories as my mum (who had a passing interest in Football but nothing major) was there with me and she passed away a few years later. I will always remember that night.

• Like 1

Pretty sure we won the reserves fixture as well. I think I remember a pretty decent long range goal as well.