Now the hangovers have subsided – a bit - and while we wait for Sunday, a Promotion Quiz. Very simple. Just give the scores, teams and venues of the specific games (not necessarily all involving Norwich City) that ensured mathematically that we were promoted in each of these 10 seasons:

1959-60 to Division Two.

1971-72 to Division One.

1974-75 to Division One.

1981-82 to Division One.

1985-86 to Division One.

2003-04 to the Premier League.

2009-10 to the Championship.

2010-11 to the Premier League.

2014-15 to the Premier League.

2018-19 to the Premier League.

• Like 1

Excellent idea Purple, I was thinking on Saturday night that this year we've been "on the brink of promotion" for quite a while whereas that's not been the case so much in the past as far as I remember.

I started following City in the mid-90s so I didn't get to see us promoted until 2004 and although I went to quite a few games that year, and even more in 09/10 (when I decided to try to visit lots of L1 grounds on what was hopefully a rare spell in the division) I can't remember the exact game when we were promoted. 

10/11 I remember watching the game on TV and so I'm sure Rob Fleck is correct, 14/15 and 18/19 are reasonably easy !!

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

85-86

Bradford City @ Odsal (?)

2-0 to Norwich

Big memory for me. I was there amongst what felt like quite a small number (but only because it was a huge  terrace). The Bruce and Watson pairing in defence were amazing.

25 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Excellent idea Purple, I was thinking on Saturday night that this year we've been "on the brink of promotion" for quite a while whereas that's not been the case so much in the past as far as I remember.

I started following City in the mid-90s so I didn't get to see us promoted until 2004 and although I went to quite a few games that year, and even more in 09/10 (when I decided to try to visit lots of L1 grounds on what was hopefully a rare spell in the division) I can't remember the exact game when we were promoted. 

10/11 I remember watching the game on TV and so I'm sure Rob Fleck is correct, 14/15 and 18/19 are reasonably easy !!

Charlton ICF! The same team we were relegated against the previous season.

How can you forget the Admiral rising like a salmon in front of 1000s of the yellow army!

I ended up about a dozen seats away from where I started!

• Haha 1

71/72 was a 2-1 win at Orient and the title secured at Watford with a 1-1 draw. Magic. A Yellow and Green trail to North London within a week.

16 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Big memory for me. I was there amongst what felt like quite a small number (but only because it was a huge  terrace). The Bruce and Watson pairing in defence were amazing.

Yes, an odd (?) stadium. The Guardian has a piece today about that season:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2019/apr/30/norwich-city-europe-promotion-season

03-04 was Sunderland. Didn't go to that - was on a work jolly in Solihull and really torn about not going.

Been drinking most of the day and thought I would see if I could get a train up there and blag a lift back.

Rang at National Rail Enquiries and slurrily enquired the best way to get to Sunderland. Was laughed at by a bloke who told me it would take 5 hours to get there and cost best part of £200 and probably not worth it as it was nearly 5 o'clock!

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Now the hangovers have subsided – a bit - and while we wait for Sunday, a Promotion Quiz. Very simple. Just give the scores, teams and venues of the specific games (not necessarily all involving Norwich City) that ensured mathematically that we were promoted in each of these 10 seasons:

1959-60 to Division Two.

1971-72 to Division One.

1974-75 to Division One.

1981-82 to Division One.

1985-86 to Division One.

2003-04 to the Premier League.

2009-10 to the Championship.

2010-11 to the Premier League.

2014-15 to the Premier League.

2018-19 to the Premier League.

14-15 was obviously the Norwich 2-0 Middlesbrough playoff final at Wembley.

The 03/04 I have a memory of it involving Sunderland and being a draw but we weren't playing in it?

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

14-15 was obviously the Norwich 2-0 Middlesbrough playoff final at Wembley.

The 03/04 I have a memory of it involving Sunderland and being a draw but we weren't playing in it?

Yes, Wembley in 2014-15, and I assume most can just about remember back to last Saturday! A couple of posters warmish with 03-04 and Sunderland playing a part, but not quite there.

No answers yet on 1974-75 and 1981-82, or on 1959-60, but we probably need ricardo to come back from his regular seaside jaunt and fish lunch for that one...

3 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

81-82 Sheffield Wednesday @ Hillsborough

2-1 defeat, still went up

I think?

We equalised late on but then I think it was Mel Sterland who scored the very late winner for Wednesday. And I only found out we were up on the train back home when some Gillingham fans got on at Chesterfield, and told me that ...................... had lost to/drawn with ............................................ So it is that other result that mathematically confirmed promotion that is needed!

29 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2019/apr/30/norwich-city-europe-promotion-season

what the article fails to mention is the abject performance put up by Everton at Coventry. Everton had 9 fixtures that May, including FA Cup final, Cup winners cup final, and some big League games earlier in the month to win the title. By the time they got round to completing their league season with finals gone and title in the bag, they were spent

and people talk about sides "on the beach" these days....

This was the old days where postponed games were tagged on the end of the regular season. I didn´t realise until I just googled, but Everton had yet another game 2 days later after the Coventry match

I know it was our own fault for losing so many at the end of that season, but I still get a bit sore looking back at it

Anyone remember the 2-1 win at Chelsea in the rain?

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

We equalised late on but then I think it was Mel Sterland who scored the very late winner for Wednesday. And I only found out we were up on the train back home when some Gillingham fans got on at Chesterfield, and told me that ...................... had lost to/drawn with ............................................ So it is that other result that mathematically confirmed promotion that is needed!

ah

I´ve no idea on the other game

28 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

ah

I´ve no idea on the other game

Was it Leicester v Shrewsbury, 0-0? If they had won this, and their game in hand they could have taken us on goal difference.

14 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Was it Leicester v Shrewsbury, 0-0? If they had won this, and their game in hand they could have taken us on goal difference.

If ever there was a an example of bottling it, it is hard to beat this........

image.png.d102cf73b0e6a5d811499b309ba16dc3.png

2003-04 was a Palace win (3-0?) over Sunderland at Selhurst. On the night there was a huge crowd at Carrow Rd for a reserve game (v Brentford I think). Radio Norfolk had live commentary of the Palace game and it was piped into the Barclay bar. Most people just stayed in there listening! 

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes Bradford City played at Bradford Northern's ground due to the Valley Parade fire of course (I was also there too). 

Leeds fans got themselves even more infamy at Odsal. They set fire to a chip fan in a match versus Bradford the year after the Bradford fire. Astonishing.

BF and Hissing have got the  two "other match" results - Leicester only drawing with Shrewsbury, and Sunderland losing 3-0 to Palace.

That just leaves 1959-60, which I grant is a tad obscure, although is has been mentioned in a news story or two. And 1974-75, which I expected one or two posters might know. But the night is still young...

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Yes Bradford City played at Bradford Northern's ground due to the Valley Parade fire of course (I was also there too). 

Leeds fans got themselves even more infamy at Odsal. They set fire to a chip fan in a match versus Bradford the year after the Bradford fire. Astonishing.

I like chips too. I hope they don't come looking for me.

42 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

BF and Hissing have got the  two "other match" results - Leicester only drawing with Shrewsbury, and Sunderland losing 3-0 to Palace.

That just leaves 1959-60, which I grant is a tad obscure, although is has been mentioned in a news story or two. And 1974-75, which I expected one or two posters might know. But the night is still young...

1974-75 was a 3-0 away win at Portsmouth....I think.

2009 promotion to the Championship was a 1.0 win against Charlton. Leeds were playing further south that day (Gillingham?) and we followed their cars and buses out of London. The Admiral with a header in front of us. 

5 hours ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Argh. Jim bleeding Melrose is on that article!

Broke my young heart in 1981 relegating us with a hat-trick for Leicester.

Stood in the River End and howled my eyes out. Bizarrely it was Lynex that stuck in my memory that day. Leicester were already relegated that year too 😢

5 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Stood in the River End and howled my eyes out. Bizarrely it was Lynex that stuck in my memory that day. Leicester were already relegated that year too 😢

Mark Wallington stood out for me. Couldn't believe that luxurious mustache from the 78 sticker book was right there in front of me.

38 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

1974-75 was a 3-0 away win at Portsmouth....I think.

Correct, Mr Tilson. Of that list, the most comfortable promotion-securing win, and with a game to spare. Boyer, McGuire and Peters.

43 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Yep, that game sticks in the memory for me too. Arrived late at the River End which was chokka, so got marched down to the Barclay and put in the segregation pen 😟 Then had an interesting couple of hours being gobbled at and having coins slung at us by the East Midlands monkeys, most of whom were there for a fight rather than watching the game. We got done 3-2 and relegated but I came home a few quid richer! Football was so different then! Anyways apologies for the thread diversion...., as you were.

The five in my lifetime I know off the top of my head (I think)...

2004: Palace 3-0 Sunderland (Selhurst Park)

2010: Charlton 0-1 Norwich (The Valley)

2011: Portsmouth 0-1 Norwich (Drayton Park)

2015: Norwich 2-0 Middlesbrough (Wembley)

2019: Norwich 2-1 Blackburn (Carrow Road)

Any errors?