Rhodes  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign Rhodes on a permanent deal?

• Yes
    • No

If he’s signing this quickly it suggests there was a clause in the loan to make the signing permanent upon promotion. 

Whether that is a good idea is yet to be determined, but I don’t, personally, hold much hope that he’ll make much impact in the Premier League. 

Can I ask, why when Webber/Farke have now got us to this position with their judgement, signings, system, long-term plan, suddenly the potential of keeping Rhodes is being questioned? 🤔

If he has a role to play sign him up and if he doesn't let him go.

Apples

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Apples said:

Can I ask, why when Webber/Farke have now got us to this position with their judgement, signings, system, long-term plan, suddenly the potential of keeping Rhodes is being questioned? 🤔

Apples

Sorted

3 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

Because this is a discussion forum.

Hope that helps.

• Haha 1

Last night  Ajax brought on the very experienced aged 35 Klas jan huntelaar, who left Shalke because he was 'finished' as a player. Ajax were only too happy to bring him back, and play him, when needed, in a Champions League Semi Final.

IF JR is a good fit at Norwich which, given DFs comments about him, he seems to be, then of course i'm ok with him signing permanently...or extending the loan. If the deal is ok with SW and DF, its ok with me. i know Shagall about building a balanced Premier League squad.

I don't think he'll join, play 30 games and score 20 goals. Ideally his playing time will be as limited as this year, as that will mean Pukki is cutting the mustard at the top level. 

What I do expect us that he will score 2 or 3 huge goals, be a positive influence in the dressing room, will fire up the Snakepit when warming up at home games and will do a job keeping hold of single goal leads in the dying minutes. For a Premier League side, that contribution is a snip at £4 or £5 million and £20k a week, which I don't think is beyond the realms of possibility. 

As I've said, his goals to minutes has been impressive, even more so when in a dozen or so of his appearances he's basically come on without the mandate of getting a goal but to chase down the ball and get it to the corner. His form this season extrapolated across the minutes Pukki got sees him comfortably get over 20 goals. You won't get many strikers of his ability agreeing to a bit part role without moaning and disrupting the squad. 

It's a no brainer for me, if Webber and Farke are happy with the numbers. 

• Like 1

Farke likes the single striker systems, trying the Tuchelesque 4-1-4-1 and 3-4-3 at different points last season, before settling on a 4-2-3-1 this year. He only plays two up front when we're chasing the game, or trying to get a win.

Rhodes doesn't fit the single striker systems, he needs to play with a second striker. He's scored some critical goals, against good defenders, notably against West Brom and Villa, but you can see it's difficult for him to keep match sharpness when he gets such intermittent game time. And he can't get the game time, because he can't swap directly for Pukki.

I can see an argument for signing him. He's British, fits into the squad well, and probably isn't going to complain about being third choice. But with the Premiership riches, and the quality of our recruitment so far, I can't help but think we could do a lot better.

For those old enough to remember Liverpool's.......... David Fairclough. 

Massive impact with relatively little game time. 

For those too young, Google him.

5 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If he’s signing this quickly it suggests there was a clause in the loan to make the signing permanent upon promotion. 

Whether that is a good idea is yet to be determined, but I don’t, personally, hold much hope that he’ll make much impact in the Premier League. 

I thought I'd read/heard that the loan happened late in the window because we were negotiating out of having such a clause. Admittedly I probably read that on here from someone with no better knowledge than I do...