Rhodes  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign Rhodes on a permanent deal?

• Yes
    • No

I voted Yes. Apart from a small group, this squad has no Prem experience. So I believe the club starts from the bottom and works its way up. I assume Teemu will be on his own for most of the games and we, and the players, have to get used to seeing some players warming the bench  a great deal.

Rhodes is a poacher and his history is exactly that. He is with a different team now. So I think he will be an economical but good addition to the squad.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I'm looking forward to those teamtalks- 'Hi lads, can you play like last season but just be a bit better? Cheers.'

That is just silly.  There are plenty of ways the current crop of players can improve - and that is surely part of the development that will be taking place over the coming months.  It is ongoing and does not need any great change - just improvement, adapting and raising levels.  

The PL is just another football league, better players but still just a football league.  I do wonder if people think that it is special in some way - well not in my mind. Whenever I look in on match of the day, amongst the sometimes fantastic play, I see a whole lot of poor defending, a lack of organisation in some teams, a lack of desire in others, fear in yet others. 

In my mind, we will continue as we have been this season, only better - it is how it has to be.   Why change a successful formula?  It might need a few tweaks, but nothing drastic just because it is the PL. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I voted Yes. Apart from a small group, this squad has no Prem experience. So I believe the club starts from the bottom and works its way up. I assume Teemu will be on his own for most of the games and we, and the players, have to get used to seeing some players warming the bench  a great deal.

Rhodes is a poacher and his history is exactly that. He is with a different team now. So I think he will be an economical but good addition to the squad.

That about sums up the reasons why I voted yes...but the economical part remains to be seen , doesn't it? He might cost too much and we might be able to fill the vacancy with another good striker...that's why I would've voted "yes, but..." if I had had the option...đŸ˜‰ Yet the (all be it slight) PL experience is a factor too

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

How many dressing room cheer leaders do Norwich need? 

I’d rather have players that are good for morale, but can also contribute something on the pitch. 

No from me. 

This sums it for me. Great guy but do not think he can offer enough on the pitch.

38 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I see that it is currently 49 % to 51 %. Should we maybe discuss this for the next three years and then talk some more about whether we want a second vote?

But did those that voted leave want him to leave completely or leave with a deal meaning he still hangs around the club a lot, helps the players out but doesn’t technically belong to us?

I should’ve had more options on the ballot paper

• Haha 1

I voted yes

I think his transfer value will be much lower than many think as Sheff Wed want him to move on.

I also think wages will be lower than he is currently on, as he wants to be part of something. Even if we get relegated from the prem he would not throw his toys out of the pram and play the following season. He certainly loves the club.

So if all of the above suits he could be here. If not then our other options come in.

• Like 1

In fact having just read the articles with Zimbo and Farke I think a deal could be reached.

It is important to have a squad and team members who can lift a group, they mention Hanley, klose, Rhodes and Krul as those characters. But also acknowledge their quality and that they should have played more minutes but they were never sour as the goal was greater.

You need these people, especially when next year is going to be so tough. Pinto has been acknowledged in helping Aaron's and is likely to leave. So we need a few of those blocks. But I also feel he can offer on the pitch next and the season after.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

But did those that voted leave want him to leave completely or leave with a deal meaning he still hangs around the club a lot, helps the players out but doesn’t technically belong to us?

I should’ve had more options on the ballot paper

Perhaps we could have him on loan for the season rather than buy him?

Norwich paid in excess of £1m just to loan Rhodes this season - not including the wages they have paid him. 

There is a good chance another Championship team will be willing to pay the same just to loan him next season. While Sheff W may be keen to offload Jordan (although Bruce has made some comments that he likes him and wouldn’t mind him next season), they aren’t going to let him go for anything less than his maximum market value. 

There will be no nominal fee for Rhodes and as he is apparently on £30k - £40k a week he’d have to half his wages at least to represent value as a third choice striker. It seems a stretch to me. 

15 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I see that it is currently 49 % to 51 %. Should we maybe discuss this for the next three years and then talk some more about whether we want a second vote?

The person I blame is the clown who thought it would be a good idea to have a vote in the first place.Â đŸ˜‰đŸ™ƒ

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I find the whole, "No one has taken a chance on him in the Premier League before therefore we shouldn't" a bizarre argument for a Norwich City fan to be making.

I remember us signing a striker who had never played in the Premier League at the time; in fact, he'd only had a brief, goalless loan spell in the Championship. He ended up gracing the Premier League for the first time at the age of 30 and became the second highest scoring Englishman in the league that year. He then had a half decent goalscoring return the following year given the fact that he was stupidly benched frequently throughout that season.

You don't need me to tell you his name, but suffice to say his lower-league goalscoring record was vastly inferior to Rhodes' when we signed him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I find the whole, "No one has taken a chance on him in the Premier League before therefore we shouldn't" a bizarre argument for a Norwich City fan to be making.

I remember us signing a striker who had never played in the Premier League at the time; in fact, he'd only had a brief, goalless loan spell in the Championship. He ended up gracing the Premier League for the first time at the age of 30 and became the second highest scoring Englishman in the league that year. He then had a half decent goalscoring return the following year given the fact that he was stupidly benched frequently throughout that season.

You don't need me to tell you his name, but suffice to say his lower-league goalscoring record was vastly inferior to Rhodes' when we signed him.

That player had also never had a shot in the Premier League and scored 45 goals in the proceeding two seasons.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

That player had also never had a shot in the Premier League

Define a shot. 2 starts and 4 appearances late from the bench?

And if Rhodes had more minutes, the stats suggest he'd have scored as many as Holt did prior to our Premier promotion. Their goals per minutes ratio aren't too dissimilar.

If he's going to cost the sort of money Bethnal is talking about then I don't think it's worth the risk. But, if the rumours that Sheff Wed want him off their books and Rhodes wants to live here are true and we can get him at a fee and salary lower than his market value then he is absolutely worth a punt. His off-field influence alone will be worth a significant chunk of our outlay.

6 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Define a shot. 2 starts and 4 appearances late from the bench?

And if Rhodes had more minutes, the stats suggest he'd have scored as many as Holt did prior to our Premier promotion. Their goals per minutes ratio aren't too dissimilar.

If he's going to cost the sort of money Bethnal is talking about then I don't think it's worth the risk. But, if the rumours that Sheff Wed want him off their books and Rhodes wants to live here are true and we can get him at a fee and salary lower than his market value then he is absolutely worth a punt. His off-field influence alone will be worth a significant chunk of our outlay.

He was there for half a season and was never fancied for a chance. Also, we're not just talking about this season- he's not hit double figures in the Championship in about 3 seasons.

The off-field stuff is fine but I don't think squad morale is going to collapse if we don't sign him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

He was there for half a season and was never fancied for a chance.

By a manager so on the button that he relegated the side and was soon after sacked.

Holt managed an average of 7 a season in three League One seasons at Nottingham Forest a year before we signed him.

Sometimes I just think a player being at the right club brings out the best in them. Like with Huckerby. Coventry and Norwich were both good fits for him and he shined. Leeds and Newcastle? Not so much. As with Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday.

And as I've said, he was only denied double figures this season by the incredible form of Teemu Pukki. Had he had the minutes Pukki did in this incredible team, it's difficult to imagine he would not have plundered 20+.

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

The off-field stuff is fine but I don't think squad morale is going to collapse if we don't sign him.

Me neither. There is a chance it could drop though. Not easy finding a striker happy to play second (or third) fiddle who we think is more certain to be able to perform at this level than Jordan Rhodes who isn't liable to a little strop and a sulk when he's not getting the minutes.

Is at all about semantics?....Anyway, I wonder if Celtic would like the 'whilst he was here at Celtic Park' he was a "Disappointing Pukki" back at 'The Bhoys'?......Or, would we have the disappointing Harry Kane back here?......We have to cut our cloth accordingly and Jordan has been here at the club, he's bonded, knows how we function, our strengths, the other players and how we play and operate - both on and off the field. When JR has played, unlike other previous loans (and including some permanent squad players) JR hasn't been a disaster or let us down by any means......and he hasn't criticized the club or blubbed or moaned about lack of kicky footbally soccery play time..... 

I personally think Jordan's a good pro and that if the price and negotiations are acceptable and reasonable to our club? Then JR would be a useful addition and a most welcome permanent addition to NCFC......So therefore, I'm happy for him to be a 'permy'....So that's a YUP from me......( I wouldn't have that Kane back anyway......he's absolute shoite!)..... đŸ˜‰Â 

For me it comes down to whether Sheff Wed think they want him next season.  If not, with his wages he's a liability just like Naismith was with us, and his value has not really been enhanced this season by having so little game time. 

People talk about Sheff Wed wanting a fee for him, but that's naĂ¯ve.  In the modern world of football, the question is whether another club is willing to match his wages for the rest of his contract and actually pay anything on top.  Just because you paid a lot for a player, doesn't mean you can get any sort of fee at all.  In fact it's not unusual, like with Naismith, that you need to subsidise a high earner just to get another club to cover part of their wages for the loan period.

It's possible a Champs club is willing to offer more than us for him next season (in terms of wages/fee as an overall package).  But if the money side stacks up for us, he'd definitely be a good player to have as cover and someone who can come off the bench when you need a goal late on - which is likely to happen more than a few times next season, let's face it !

The right player right club situation is extremely important in football especially at clubs where value for money is so important. 

My observations having watched him live a number of time this season is that he would (at the right price) be an excellent signing for us. We have witnessed him coming on with literally minutes to spare and being successful, maintaining pressure and either scoring or being very, very close to scoring.  He has the ability to find the ball in the six yard box under pressure and when we are chasing a game next season that could be crucial.

There is not a chance I would want JR to be our main striker but as a back up? Absolutely. 

Many times we have gone up, had whole sale changes and systems and it rarely works for more than a couple of seasons. lets develop and progress as a club with predominantly players we know. 

We certainly need 'help' in some areas but in the striking department I believe we have two in place already, just need to either extend one or make it permanent.

• Like 1

Forget the sentiment, what is the criteria for a Premier League striker....

Pace, aggression, quality, energy.      Rhodes has evidently been good for the club this season but we need players that can make a difference on the pitch either as a Plan B or if Pukki gets injured.   Rhodes doesn't have these qualities, he's mainly a good finisher and we'll need more than that.    The only player similar to Pukki in the Champ is perhaps Maupay and we are unlikely to buy him.    Whoever we sign will need to have pace (and will obviously be a nice guy) to fit in!    They do due diligence nowadays.    Hughton was a nice guy, the board didn't want to get rid and he ruined the club as a consequence.      Whilst maintaining integrity and loyalty, they have to adopt a more ruthless edge in certain situations.   

Surely we can't carry players because they are simply good for the dressing room.

Excepting for whoever we bring in (and we will need one at least), Morris has to be a better option for the fact he is more likely to hold the ball up for us if and when needed.    Great to be having these debates though!     OTBC.

Edited by ged in the onion bag

Im currently in the North East (Hartlepool) one of the lads from my sunday league team works for a removals company. Recently (2 weeks ago) moved Mr Rhodes to his new house in Norfolk from Middelsborugh. Seems as though to me the deal is done and the club is just waiting to announce it.

59 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Forget the sentiment, what is the criteria for a Premier League striker....

Pace, aggression, quality, energy.      Rhodes has evidently been good for the club this season but we need players that can make a difference on the pitch either as a Plan B or if Pukki gets injured.   Rhodes doesn't have these qualities, he's mainly a good finisher and we'll need more than that.    The only player similar to Pukki in the Champ is perhaps Maupay and we are unlikely to buy him.    Whoever we sign will need to have pace (and will obviously be a nice guy) to fit in!    They do due diligence nowadays.    Hughton was a nice guy, the board didn't want to get rid and he ruined the club as a consequence.      Whilst maintaining integrity and loyalty, they have to adopt a more ruthless edge in certain situations.   

Surely we can't carry players because they are simply good for the dressing room.

Excepting for whoever we bring in (and we will need one at least), Morris has to be a better option for the fact he is more likely to hold the ball up for us if and when needed.    Great to be having these debates though!     OTBC.

I was totally on board until that bit about Morris.

Holt gave us so much more than just goals in the prem though and the role of our striker will be much more vital in the prem than it is now in the champs. We need someone else who can contribute in a similar vein to Pukki - not simply a finisher. Rhodes would basically be RvW for us in the prem (only actually able to finish), and I’m not sure am improved style of play is enough to facilitate his role. 

I’m very happy with our starting line up at the moment and there are no obvious areas of concern (even Krul has been much improved in recent weeks). Where we do have an issue is competition, I don’t see Rhodes as suitable competition for Pukki at all and doubt why we would need his services next season - especially when taking into account his wages and transfer fee. He has been a good player to throw on when chasing a game this season but probably not worth the outlay we would need to make to get him permanently.

I think we need a striker who can act as competent back up for Pukki and also someone who offers something different (pace) who can be like the Rhodes of this season but with a bit more to contribute to the team than just a good finish.

I think there's a bit of disrespect for Rhodes on this thread. "Just a poacher/goalscorer"? Yeah that's what I thought too until I saw him coming on winning headers both defensively and upfront, hassling defenders, buying freekicks, slowing play down ... plus of course scoring some vital goals. Let's face it, if he's desperate to come, he'll almost certainly come and I think taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture he'd be a great signing.

Edited by Mr.Carrow
  • Like 1

I've heard it suggested that his transfer value is £8m, and if that's so, and if we've got a maximum of £15m to £20m to spend, we can't afford to spend that much on someone who hasn't even started in the Championship, however much he's good to have around.