Rhodes  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign Rhodes on a permanent deal?

• Yes
    • No

Having a play about with the forum and wanted to try a poll. Pretty simple, do we think Rhodes should be signed? Good backup for Pukki or better options elsewhere?

Edited by Fiery Zac

I don't feel like I can answer that as a yes/no question. Yes, I would sign him...if the recruitment team think he is our best option and the fee and wages are within our budget and represent good value for money. Otherwise no.

• Like 1

He is great for experience and back up, but equally as Branson says, it does depend on who else is on that list. 

Hes done a great job when called upon though! 

Not for me. Seems a great guy but never been a Premier League player, on decent wages and will have little to no resale value.

I voted Yes -- Great morale-boosting, squad player who has proved he can do a job with and in the absence of Pukki.

We'll continue to play one up front next season, so no need to purchase any centre-forwards if Rhodes signs.

Pukki, Rhodes, Srbeny, Morris & Abrahams will suffice for that one position.

• Sad 1

Jools, I think my one concern is that if pukki gets injured or Rhodes (in your scenario) for a lot of the season. Then we are left with one of them and srbeny, Morris and Abraham's/Idah as cover.

I recall a previous season we had a similar situation in the prem or a manager said you need at least 4. Well I kind of agree.

I think I would like another Pukki style striker, physical, strong and clean finisher as number 2. Then Rhodes or another before srbeny, Abraham's, Idah fight for that 4th spot with the others on loan where we can review in January.

I could see then both on the bench, because we are going to chase games next season.

Will Rhodes want that I do not know but I think that would be a great position to be in. With a new right sided winger, right back and defensive midfielder as the key signing.

A goalkeeper if the right opportunity presents itself and I think we will bring someone in to challenge for number 1 with McGovern as number 3.

Not sure about Srbeny, Morris or Abrahams but I think we'd be lucky to have Jordan Rhodes as 1 of the 3 main strikers.

He's been unlucky this season in regards to the machine that has been in front of him but when Rhodes has played he's scored. Don't really buy that he's past his best or that he was never good enough to play in the premier league, he's all about the system he plays in and he will score in the system we play. He's also not a striker that relies on his physical attributes too much so I wouldn't have any worry about signing him as a 29 year old.

Obviously he would have to take a wage cut but I think he's already proven he's willing to do that. Both from Boro to Wednesday and then again to join us.

Edited by KeiranShikari
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Don't really buy that he's past his best or that he was never good enough to play in the premier league, he's all about the system he plays in and he will score in the system we play.

It does rather beg the question why despite his excellent record at this level no Premier League team took a chance on him.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

It does rather beg the question why despite his excellent record at this level no Premier League team took a chance on him.

My guess would be that it's because of the type of striker he is. The trend has been to go with a big physical striker, especially with bottom half Premier League clubs. 

12 minutes ago, daly said:

Sure we'll get a striker on loan with Premiership experience

I wouldn't bank on that going by Webber's comments after the game the other night. He's basically said that Premier League experience is not one of the criteria they really look at. I'm expecting us to bring in a forward from abroad.

Of course Idah will presumably get his chance to impress over the summer too.

Voted yes for right price and wages. Would be a good back up (probably number 3) and offers something different. Has better poaching instincts I think than pukki and did a great job for us while pukki was injured late last year.

9 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

My guess would be that it's because of the type of striker he is. The trend has been to go with a big physical striker, especially with bottom half Premier League clubs. 

I'd guess similar- I think when you're a lower level Premier League club you need your striker to be more than just a poacher (which is what Rhodes is essentially). For me I don't see him offering enough at a higher level to justify the fee and wages that would probably come with. 

I think if you look at the teams in the bottom half of the Premier League there aren't many poacher types playing there.

Some options suggested on here had little or no experience of playing let alone PL experience. We shall need a mobile effective back up to Pukki and maybe a replacement if Pukki proves to be one season wonder. Not sure Srebeny, Rhodes or Mills fit the bill need to find  gem from abroad. I can as a striker in PL silly talk he is a winger with no first team experience. Dennis could be a wildcard. We will see but need to score goals in PL to survive.

A resounding yes from me! If the jobholder needs no previous experience of the Premier League, then (£ permitting) Jordan Rhodes deserves his chance with Norwich. He's part of the success culture here; totally ready to show the big league what he's capable of...

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd guess similar- I think when you're a lower level Premier League club you need your striker to be more than just a poacher (which is what Rhodes is essentially). For me I don't see him offering enough at a higher level to justify the fee and wages that would probably come with. 

I think if you look at the teams in the bottom half of the Premier League there aren't many poacher types playing there.

But Norwich don't play like other teams in the lower Prem? Rhodes does however fit the Farkeball ethos...

1 minute ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

But Norwich don't play like other teams in the lower Prem? Rhodes does however fit the Farkeball ethos...

Well we don't know how they'll play in the Premier League do we? Plenty of Championship teams could carry goal poachers at this level but not at the higher level.

Really depends on the finances involved and what Rhodes would like to do.

We essentially signed McGovern for longer because not only was he relatively happy to be backup but he was also good in and around the squad. Fairly low cost for what the club clearly felt was high reward in the changing rooms.

The difference is Rhodes still has a fairly significant transfer value, especially to championship clubs. I imagine there are going to be championship clubs willing to spend more money on him to be there first choice striker than we would be willing to spend on making him our 2nd or 3rd choice.

Having said all that, if the money is right and he wants to stay and is happy to be behind others then suddenly it becomes a no-brainer to sign him. It's really hard to find half-decent strikers who are willing to play second fiddle. That, and if we went down immediately he'd again be a very good second choice striker at Championship level.

23 minutes ago, king canary said:
27 minutes ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Well we don't know how they'll play in the Premier League do we? Plenty of Championship teams could carry goal poachers at this level but not at the higher level.

Why do we not know how they will play?  We've all seen how Farke approaches football - and it works - so no real need to change anything other than further improve the way we go about Farke-ball.  As we've seen this season this team does create chances for a player like Rhodes and that will happen in the PL too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Why do we not know how they will play?  We've all seen how Farke approaches football - and it works - so no real need to change anything other than further improve the way we go about Farke-ball.  As we've seen this season this team does create chances for a player like Rhodes and that will happen in the PL too. 

We also saw how Farke approached football last season. Evolution and change are part of a managers development. The idea he will just continue to play the exact same way next season doesn't really make sense.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:
10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We also saw how Farke approached football last season. Evolution and change are part of a managers development. The idea he will just continue to play the exact same way next season doesn't really make sense.

It seems a lifetime ago now, but the way we played last season was part of the transition - and we could all see improvements as the season wore on with more chances being created.  That moved on to a more clear idea about how we were to approach the football this season.  If the system works - and it plainly does - all that is needed next season is that the team plays in the same way, but just does it better for the next level - players step up their levels and rise to the occasion.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It seems a lifetime ago now, but the way we played last season was part of the transition - and we could all see improvements as the season wore on with more chances being created.  That moved on to a more clear idea about how we were to approach the football this season.  If the system works - and it plainly does - all that is needed next season is that the team plays in the same way, but just does it better for the next level - players step up their levels and rise to the occasion.

I'm looking forward to those teamtalks- 'Hi lads, can you play like last season but just be a bit better? Cheers.'

As for me, he has to be kept for the entertainment he provides warming up.Holding on to the corner flag and slowly starting to jump, leading a chorus of “if you don’t jump your Ipswich scum” was one of his better moments on Saturday.

His influence in the dressing room was there for all to see, as he got Klose jumping as well!

Not sure he is, or has ever been, a Premiership quality player. Seemingly great to have around the squad but I'm sure the budget allocation could be better spent on someone else either fully or in part.

Jordan Rhodes - dob - 5th Feb 1990; 

Teemu Pukki - dob - 29th March 1990

Pukki has 2 more years left on his contract.  I've said elsewhere that I don't see us offering Rhodes a 2 year contract as he doesn't fit the mould of the type of player we've been signing.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but if he did come, I think we'd still need another striker, it would be a huge step up for Srbeny, Morris, Idah or Abrahams.