Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Radio 5 podcast

The latest football podcast from 5 Live is on the BBC Sounds App and features Stuart Webber. Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere 

• Thanks 2

Heard the tail end last night, came across well, unsurprisingly, said we couldn’t afford to buy players with PL experience and those we could afford would have been relegated. Ian Wright said that’s exactly the type of player we should be recruiting and so did one of the other guests, Sutton disagreed (probably just for the sake of it though!).

I heard it too. The other "guest" was Charlie Adam. They both live in the past.

We been there, done that, we know it doesn't work and when it all goes pear shaped it leaves you in a worse position than when you started.

Sutton also said our priority was a decent Goalie and a couple of Central Defenders.

He's probably right

Edited by Making Plans

13 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

I heard it too. The other "guest" was Charlie Adam. They both live in the past.

We been there, done that, we know it doesn't work and when it all goes pear shaped it leaves you in a worse position than when you started.

Sutton also said our priority was a decent Goalie and a couple of Central Defenders.

He's probably right

We have a decent goalie in Krul and back ups, unless McGovern is leaving.  We also have Zimmermann, Godfrey, Klose and Hanley, who if they all stay are enough central defenders all of who, have the capability to do well in the PL. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We have a decent goalie in Krul and back ups, unless McGovern is leaving.  We also have Zimmermann, Godfrey, Klose and Hanley, who if they all stay are enough central defenders all of who, have the capability to do well in the PL. 

We are not sure that Klose is staying and I'm not as confident as you that Hanley is up to Premiership standard. 

Just now, splendidrush said:
12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We are not sure that Klose is staying and I'm not as confident as you that Hanley is up to Premiership standard. 

I hope Klose is staying and as a back up central defender Hanley is surely good enough for that - but he might want to play so may want to move anyway.

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Doubt central defence is too high on the list of priorities, but does depend on how Klose and Hanley see their futures. Hanley pushed to leave Newcastle because he wasn’t playing, so can’t  see why he wouldn’t push to leave Norwich now. 

I’m sure a new keeper will be one of the top priorities for Norwich. Krul has provided solid leadership and experience at the back this season, but has struggled with the basics of saving shots. The goal conceded against Blackburn was another example of him failing to make a save from a not particularly good long range shot. I would worry if Krul is first choice next season. 

• Like 2

If Klose stays we need one centre half to add to what we have, if he leaves then we need two. And we need another keeper as good as if not better than Krul to challenge him for the starting spot. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Doubt central defence is too high on the list of priorities, but does depend on how Klose and Hanley see their futures. Hanley pushed to leave Newcastle because he wasn’t playing, so can’t  see why he wouldn’t push to leave Norwich now. 

I’m sure a new keeper will be one of the top priorities for Norwich. Krul has provided solid leadership and experience at the back this season, but has struggled with the basics of saving shots. The goal conceded against Blackburn was another example of him failing to make a save from a not particularly good long range shot. I would worry if Krul is first choice next season. 

For me the priorities in order are...

Defensive midfielder

Keeper

Striker

Winger

Central defender

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I rarely slate any players LDC but some of the sloppy goals we've conceded this season are evidence we do need to strengthen at the back. Not sure who would miss out and it's always a shame these decisions have to be made but, if we are to make a decent fist of this promotion, necessary IMO.

2 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

I rarely slate any players LDC but some of the sloppy goals we've conceded this season are evidence we do need to strengthen at the back. Not sure who would miss out and it's always a shame these decisions have to be made but, if we are to make a decent fist of this promotion, necessary IMO.

This is the dilemma for me. We've been too leaky and could do with strengthening, but the strange thing is, nobody deserves to be dropped. It's a tricky one.

• Thanks 1

I doubt that Farke will make the same mistakes as Worthy and Alex Neil with regard to strengthening the defence. I'm sure he is aware that we need to be much tighter next season.

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This is the dilemma for me. We've been too leaky and could do with strengthening, but the strange thing is, nobody deserves to be dropped. It's a tricky one.

Generally in a promoted team nobody 'deserves' to be dropped. But professional sport is ruthless and players can and will be upgraded.

I'd imagine the defence will also benefit from a tactical shift as I don't think Farke will play in the exact same style next season.

The days are gone when the cheapest footballer you could buy was the keeper, now to get a Premiership keeper who is half decent will take all of Farke's  twenty million budget.

I really don't think the central defenders are the reason we've conceded so many goals. The problem has been in midfield imo. A DM in the vein of Tettey in his prime and a Leitner alongside him to control possession and our goals against would dry up pretty fast. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The fault for their goal was that no one closed travis down quickly enough. He had enough time to look up, pick his spot and put it far enough out of Kruls reach. Perfectly placed which it wouldn’t have been if he’d been closed down quicker.

’Struggled with the basics of saving shots’? Early on a couple of mistakes yes, but grown into the season (after minimal game time for ages) and made some vital stops to keep us in games and get us points. EVERY player has made mistakes this season yet so far since promotion, Krul is the main one to be discussed as having to be replaced. Ridiculous. He’s got PL experience, lead the young back 4 and made some crucial saves and performances. 

Aarons himself said Krul has been the most important player for the defence this season. I’m sure this will be twisted into a negative but I take it as a reaction from the players that Krul has had some unwarranted cristism and has been pivotal not just with his saves but leading the defence.

Edited by Fiery Zac

Both Zimmermann and Godfrey have obvious weaknesses. Zimmermann gets done on the turn and isn’t the quickest. Godfrey often losses gets done on his blindside and isn’t aware of what is behind him. 

Godfrey can learn these skills, Zimmermann is never going to get quicker. 

Norwich have had a ‘we’ll score one more than you’ approach which has meant that the defence has been exposed to attacks, especially on the transition. Krul’s weakness to long shots has also been an issue. 

I presume Norwich will play a little more cagey next season and more on the counter attack. 

Well, I'm going to disagree with most of the above posts, because I think our defence will be strong enough, with Krul too.  They deserve the chance and if - as I think we will - we approach the PL with an attacking set up, then it will be the same as this season, letting in goals but scoring plenty too. 

Do we really want to be one of those teams that is cagey or do we want to keep the same entertaining and successful way we played this season? Let's not forget many have said we have got promoted by playing premier league style football. 

No need to change, just develop what we've got by using the same players (if they all stay).  The players are that good - including Zimmermann - there is more to being a good defender than speed of foot - he is razor sharp when it comes to defending shots and he has excellent anticipation and timing of tackles - as good as anybody I've seen. And he is an excellent captain/character to have on the field.

Frankly, I would rather see the same players next season, with maybe one or two squad strengtheners. They were all that good this season, right through the squad. 

3 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

The fault for their goal was that no one closed travis down quickly enough. He had enough time to look up, pick his spot and put it far enough out of Kruls reach. Perfectly placed which it wouldn’t have been if he’d been closed down quicker.

’Struggled with the basics of saving shots’? Early on a couple of mistakes yes, but grown into the season and made some vital stops to keep us in games and get us points. EVERY player has made mistakes this season yet so far since promotion, Krul is the main one to be discussed as having to be replaced. Ridiculous. He’s got PL experience, lead the young back 4 and made some crucial saves and performances. 

Aarons himself said Krul has been the most important player for the defence this season. I’m sure this will be twisted into a negative but I take it as a reaction from the players that Krul has had some unwarranted cristism and has been pivotal not just with his saves but leading the defence.

The lack of closing down didn’t help, but Krul is standing in the wrong spot when the shot was taken. It wasn’t a particularly well hit shot, but Krul took a long time to get down to it - he has shown this throughout the season. Low shots to his left are a real weakness of his, it isn’t a surprise considering the awful injuries he has suffered. 

Krul is a perfectly good Championship keeper, but I feel he would be exposed in the Prem. 

58 minutes ago, king canary said:

For me the priorities in order are...

Defensive midfielder

Keeper

Striker

Winger

Central defender

Completely agree on this, but I'm not sure we can buy a keeper with the budget we have.  I do agree he ought to have at least got a hand to the goal on Saturday, but it wasn't all down to him, the Blackburn player wasn't closed down well enough (Trybull might have been there if he'd played?).  When you watch teams defend in the Prem, there's a very clear line of midfielders just in front of the defenders closing down the space for players to get away those type of shots/passes.

I agree with those who see it as much tactical as anything else. We play a wide expansive game which leaves gaps, particularly central mid in front of the CBs which has been exploited at times as the CDMs have more space to cover. In the Prem this will be punished more. So maybe a combination of a narrower formation, the full backs not pushing up quite so often or far and an extra Tettey type player will all help with that. However the zonal marking at set pieces is a concern, too many free headers allowed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Krul is a perfectly good Championship keeper, but I feel he would be exposed in the Prem.  

Since you're a realist (and probably a big hit at parties to boot 😉) who would you suggest Norwich could afford to bring in: Goal, Defence, Midfield and Attack and what would they bring, attribute wise, with the view of the players we currently have.

You seem to have more knowledge than most about footballers of unknown quantities so I value your opinion(s).

8 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Completely agree on this, but I'm not sure we can buy a keeper with the budget we have.  I do agree he ought to have at least got a hand to the goal on Saturday, but it wasn't all down to him, the Blackburn player wasn't closed down well enough (Trybull might have been there if he'd played?).  When you watch teams defend in the Prem, there's a very clear line of midfielders just in front of the defenders closing down the space for players to get away those type of shots/passes.

Yes but I'm with Bethnal- the shot was pretty savable but he takes a weird sideways step, doesn't get set and then can't reach it. 

He's done a good job this season but I'm not confident about him making the step up.

For me it's the DM that needs strengthening rather than the Center Halves, along with a tactical switch to be more ready to hold that player back almost as an extra defender. Tough on Trybull, as it will be for anyone who drops out from the current starting 11, but I can't see DF sacrificing the threat we get from pushing the full backs on in order to tighten up at the back.  

• Like 1

When we played Arsenal and Chelsea last season (without the quality of player we now have throughout the team) we tightened up the system and played much narrower than we have done this year. I would expect a refined version of our style next year - if we play the same, open way we will get murdered by faster and more athletic players. Our DMs will be crucial to that change - I don't see Tettey being able to be the main man anymore so we need at least one more to play alongside Trybull, so that we can adequately cover the space behind the full backs and Buendia.

We fail to close down on the edge of the box because one of our DMs goes missing or has been sacrificed in order to be more positive going forward and we have let a number of goals in because of that - doesn't matter when we score 2 for every 1 we let in, but PL teams will take advantage of that to try to get men free to score from 18 yards - doesn't matter how good our keeper is if he is facing a free shot from 18 yards.

So we definitely need a starting DM. We also need a keeper to push Krul (who perhaps isn't good enough, but will be given the chance to keep getting better), and decent cover at right back/centreback. Someone like Semi Ajayi could be good enough to cover that as well as be the DM - Godfrey likewise. It's all about having a flexible squad.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Since you're a realist (and probably a big hit at parties to boot 😉) who would you suggest Norwich could afford to bring in: Goal, Defence, Midfield and Attack and what would they bring, attribute wise, with the view of the players we currently have.

You seem to have more knowledge than most about footballers of unknown quantities so I value your opinion(s).

Keepers are tricky, I think you need to watch them across a large number of games to get a good understanding of how good they are and I just haven’t seen enough of anyone who isn’t Norwich this season to make a really confident judgement. But...

From what I have seen this season, and not just the recent game at Norwich, Martinez at Reading looks a good keeper. He’s on loan from Arsenal and if they don’t see a place for him there, he might be available relatively cheaply. He’s good with ball at feet as well which is so important. He’s also from the same town of Buendia and I think they were both at Getafe together. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Someone like Semi Ajayi could be good enough to cover that as well as be the DM 

Good call - I had the opportunity of seeing him in action a few times this season and always stood out in a poor side.  Knows where the goal is but also mops up well in front of the defence and plays out well - it was a shame last year that the rest of his team mates weren't up to it.  At least with Warne you know he has been schooled well and so should slip in easily at Colney.

Edited by shefcanary

There was a point on Saturday night where Blackburn had the ball on the edge of their own box having broken our attack up.  Lewis and Aarons were 'defending' on either touchline, 10 yards into the opponents' half, with Buendia, Steipermann, Hernandez and Pukki further ahead of them, and McClean and Vrancic level with them.  Only Godfrey and Zimmermann were in our half only 5 yards further back.  I can't see us playing that adventurously next season or we'll get caught out very quickly.

Just now, Woodman said:

There was a point on Saturday night where Blackburn had the ball on the edge of their own box having broken our attack up.  Lewis and Aarons were 'defending' on either touchline, 10 yards into the opponents' half, with Buendia, Steipermann, Hernandez and Pukki further ahead of them, and McClean and Vrancic level with them.  Only Godfrey and Zimmermann were in our half only 5 yards further back.  I can't see us playing that adventurously next season or we'll get caught out very quickly.

Or we'll score lots of goals........